• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gallas

Gallas is fast becoming a spacegoat, but is playing no worse than any other defender we have at the club.

It's not being a spacegoat if he's actually that bad. He's also the first one telling other defenders to hoof it when there are better options, drives me mad.

It's not being a spacegoat if he's actually that bad. He's also the first one telling other defenders to hoof it when there are better options, drives me mad.

And yet we and he didn't do that last season. It's very obvious that we've been told to play more direct this year than in recent years. The keepers, regardless of which one, are all kicking it more than the last few seasons too.

And yet we and he didn't do that last season. It's very obvious that we've been told to play more direct this year than in recent years. The keepers, regardless of which one, are all kicking it more than the last few seasons too.

I'd say that's down to teams knowing they can pressure us high up the pitch. Friedel does that when there are options but I think that's just down to habit from playing for cloggers for over a decade.

I'd say that's down to teams knowing they can pressure us high up the pitch. Friedel does that when there are options but I think that's just down to habit from playing for cloggers for over a decade.

I disagree. We now play it long from goal kicks a lot more than previously. I do think Ekotto's absence is increasing this as he is often the one that looks for the short ball. Friedel hardly kicked it long all of last season.

But you may be on to something regarding pressure. We simply don't keep possession this year as well as last season. Even during our horrid run of results we often dominated the game and that puts less pressure on the defence and keeper to have to play it long.

I disagree. We now play it long from goal kicks a lot more than previously. I do think Ekotto's absence is increasing this as he is often the one that looks for the short ball. Friedel hardly kicked it long all of last season.

But you may be on to something regarding pressure. We simply don't keep possession this year as well as last season. Even during our horrid run of results we often dominated the game and that puts less pressure on the defence and keeper to have to play it long.

Stop telling porkies, old buddy

Last edited:
Gallas is fast becoming a spacegoat, but is playing no worse than any other defender we have at the club.

Yep. It wasn't his fault for either of the last 2 goals we conceded.

Lloris had no saves (?) to make against Liverpool.

But we have conceded so many goals this term and that has to be somebody's fault.

But we have conceded so many goals this term and that has to be somebody's fault.
I think Gallas has been poor, but our defending as a team is also horrible. It is incredibly easy to get in behind our defensive line. How many times this season have we seen teams hit a simple long ball in behind us and caught us out. We stand there with a fairly high line, when there is no pressure on the opposing player in possession, and when the long ball comes, our defensive line is flat and usually standing with there arms in the air hoping for an offside call. Sometimes, we get lucky and the attacker does run into an offside position, but very often, the result is that they manage to put the ball in behind us.

Then there is the other scenario, when one or two players in our back four (most often Walker or Gallas) drops deeper than the rest of the defense, either because they don't trust our defensive line or to cover for a run in their zone. That is obviously a disaster if the ball the ball is hit into different zone than the one they are defending as there is no chance of an offside call.

I think Dawson with experience has become decent at organising the defensive line. We certainly looked better agaisnt West Ham at least, and althoguh we were put under pressure against Liverpool, I didn't see too much of the things we have struggled with earlier in the season.

In addition to this we are obviously rubbish at defending set pieces as well.

I think Gallas has been poor, but our defending as a team is also horrible. It is incredibly easy to get in behind our defensive line. How many times this season have we seen teams hit a simple long ball in behind us and caught us out. We stand there with a fairly high line, when there is no pressure on the opposing player in possession, and when the long ball comes, our defensive line is flat and usually standing with there arms in the air hoping for an offside call. Sometimes, we get lucky and the attacker does run into an offside position, but very often, the result is that they manage to put the ball in behind us.

Then there is the other scenario, when one or two players in our back four (most often Walker or Gallas) drops deeper than the rest of the defense, either because they don't trust our defensive line or to cover for a run in their zone. That is obviously a disaster if the ball the ball is hit into different zone than the one they are defending as there is no chance of an offside call.

I think Dawson with experience has become decent at organising the defensive line. We certainly looked better agaisnt West Ham at least, and althoguh we were put under pressure against Liverpool, I didn't see too much of the things we have struggled with earlier in the season.

In addition to this we are obviously rubbish at defending set pieces as well.

Good post, but I think we are better at defending set pieces this term as opposed to last term.

Good post, but I think we are better at defending set pieces this term as opposed to last term.
We have conceded 7 goals from corners, or from crosses following a corner, in the league this season.
WBA
Norwich
QPR
Southampton
Chelsea (first goal)
Wigan
Liverpool

Mertesacker's goal against us was also a boarderline one.

Last edited:

Actually I remember a save from Suarez, not long after Lennon scored, Suarez sucked in Gallas, turned him with a quick pass, this caused mayhem and a bit of pinball tackling from Dawson with Suarez having a chance which Loris saved down close to his left side.

i remember 4 directly goals attributable to gallas...

- twice he headed back into the centre instead of to the side
- twice he ducked to avoid the shot slamming into his face

the rest:
- once a mix up between himself and bale for a corner to the near post (he was talking and didn't see the corner coming, bale had to intercept but couldn't in time and the goal went in where he should have been standing)
- last 20-30 minutes tends to lose his footing/wobble when trying to close down a player ...very nervy to watch
- at least twice strapping his thigh...not sure it means the other guys have to cover for him, but certainly not inspiring to viewers and teamates i'd think

but he's also made a number of vital interceptions... 4-6 perhaps ... i lose count.... but OVERALL, its really a mixed performance i.e. just an average performance.

We have conceded 7 goals from corners, or from crosses following a corner, in the league this season.
WBA
Norwich
QPR
Southampton
Chelsea (first goal)
Wigan
Liverpool

Mertesacker's goal against us was also a boarderline one.

but crosses following a corner isn't a set piece. How many goal ghave we actually conceded directly from a set piece?

personally i think that's one thing we've improved massivly from in comparison to past seasons.

From a dawson thread I posted in earlier...some stats from footballing stats GHod THFC6061
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?472-Dawson&p=259655&viewfull=1#post259655

Dawson's 2012-13 stats includes his appearances as a used substitute...

P0107.png

...if you want only his starts, his record is

P6 W4-D1-L1 F13-A6 Record: 75%

???

If you are referring to the second-half v Liverpool, then it's been discussed. More throw-outs/roll-outs than kicks. Not sure where you're getting your info/assertion from...

Back