• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and TV

See thats the thing, it starts adding up. Its why I like iptv as I get pretty much all that and foreign leagues as well.

It's not about what one person is willing to pay. It is whether the amount of people willing to pay at that price, is more profitable than an amount of people willing to pay at a lower price. Demand and supply.

is 8:30 on a Sunday any worse than 10:30 on a Wednesday?

that 3:00 thing is because they think you will go to your local brickhole club instead, lol, like anyone is going to do that
The irony is that if Spurs are on at 3pm, then I'll find a stream and watch it. If Spurs are on TV on a Sunday then I'll go and watch Portsmouth play from time to time, if my son and I are both free.

I’d pay a fiver per game if I could pass on the flimflam commentary and punditry and just have announcements on subs and var etc.

I’d also pay more if advertising could somehow be neutralised.

How would a season ticket for different clubs work? You can only watch your home games? How would it work for pubs?

I can't see it being voted for by the smaller clubs. They'd get less money unless it was fairly distributed. But then the bigger clubs can argue that they should get a bigger slice as people are buying season tickets to watch their games.

Also sky (and previously bt) make a loss on the tv deal. They make it back up on the sale of broadband.

Premflix may happen though. But i think it will be for all games on a monthly subscription.

I'd still like the fair distribution to stay, it's what makes the league so attractive but yeah would need to be worked through. I expect most people would pay for more than just their club though - I likely would pay more just for the convenience of being able to pick and choose the games I want to watch.

To watch on tv? Vpn, fire stick, go to the pub, tinternet. Why would anyone pay that?
It's less than it is now, at least here. It's around £70 a month for a PL subscription here! And the broadcaster wonder why so many are using illegal services....

It's less than it is now, at least here. It's around £70 a month for a PL subscription here! And the broadcaster wonder why so many are using illegal services....

That they have enough people paying that, to justify the offering, suggests to me, they are leaving a lot of money on the table in England.

That they have enough people paying that, to justify the offering, suggests to me, they are leaving a lot of money on the table in England.
They haven't. They're struggling badly because there are way fewer subscribers than they anticipated. Their way of correcting that, is of course to raise the price even more...
It's not sustainable any more. People are not willing to pay that sort of money. The threshold had already been reached, but football is still trying to make broadcasters pay even more.

They haven't. They're struggling badly because there are way fewer subscribers than they anticipated. Their way of correcting that, is of course to raise the price even more...
It's not sustainable any more. People are not willing to pay that sort of money. The threshold had already been reached, but football is still trying to make broadcasters pay even more.

Ah right, so its not them responding to demand, its chasing a loss.

I do think a premium streaming option, as long as it included all games, would be a big seller in the UK.

Even if you have been happy to spend in the UK, its a faff, not all games are with the same provider, and some aren't on at all, it's mad. If there was the equivalent of the NFL Gamepass we'd be sorted.

I do think a premium streaming option, as long as it included all games, would be a big seller in the UK.

Even if you have been happy to spend in the UK, its a faff, not all games are with the same provider, and some aren't on at all, it's mad. If there was the equivalent of the NFL Gamepass we'd be sorted.

Domestic rights are worth £1.66bn a year. So say it was £200 a year for a subscription. You'd need 8.33 million subscribers just to break even. 5.5 million at £300. Not sure you would get that. Although some could be made up on adverts. But then you have to pay all the pundits, tv crew etc...

As i said before sky and bt made a loss on football. Making it up in broadband sales.

I have Sky and a dodgy subscription but I still pay for GamePass because it's just so easy. Any device, anywhere (except when I'm in the US), at any time. I can watch full match replays as soon as the match has started and extended or short highlights almost as soon as the game has finished.

Film distributers finally worked out that it wasn't the price that made people steal films, it was the convenience. Sporting rights distributers need to learn the same lesson.

Premier League will increase number of live TV matches in UK to 270 from 2025
The Premier League is to substantially increase the number of live matches available on TV in the UK, with 270 to be screened by broadcasters each season from 2025.

The league confirmed on Wednesday that it had launched a tender process for its next round of domestic TV rights, an auction it hopes will deliver a boost in revenues after its most recent deal, first struck in 2018, was rolled over during the pandemic.

Broadcasters will be encouraged to bid on five packages that will run for four seasons each. The expanded number of fixtures will increase the total number of live matches from 200. For the first time, all fixtures played at 2pm on a Sunday will be available to screen. The Premier League said this increase will allow for the preservation of the traditional Saturday 3pm blackout.

The offer to broadcasters is familiar but reveals some of the changes in the market since the Premier League last went to tender. The number of live packages on offer has been slimmed down from the last auction when two of the seven packages failed to find a home at the first time of asking. The extra year on the deal will also offer greater security to broadcasters in a time of industry turbulence.

The Premier League opted not to introduce new kick-off times to their schedule, with the packages built around established start times at 12.30pm and 5.30pm on Saturday, 2pm and 4.30pm on Sunday, as well as one of 8pm on either Monday or Friday. There will, however, be one added round of midweek fixtures, which will be sold as a block, following on from the model in which Amazon broadcasts all 10 Boxing Day fixtures live. A free-to-air highlights package, which is held by the BBC, will remain part of the mix.

The value of the Premier League’s domestic TV rights under its existing three-year deal is estimated at £5bn. This is roughly the same figure as in 2016, and executives will be hoping that the planned expansion in both the number of matches and the length of the deal will lead to a growth in revenue.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-increase-number-live-180551277.html

Back