• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and Homophobia

Indeed. "Tøs" is term for a sexually uninhibited girl in Norwegian, but just a word for girl in Danish. "Rar" means "strange" in Norwegian, but "cute" in Swedish and "nice" in Denmark. In Denmark the official word for a person from Spain is "spanjakk", which is considered a bit of a demeaning word for a Spanish person in Norwegian, but when I asked my former girlfriend's Danish/Spanish friend if he was a "spanjol" (the Norwegian word for a person from Spain), they all stopped eating and calmly told me "you can't say that here".

I could go on with the Scandinavian language, the languages are very similar, but a lot of words have for various reasons gotten different meanings over the years.

Your story illustrated what matters is not what you say but how people perceive it. You understood this and did not use it again.

The LGBT community had been vocal in their offence at his use of the word. Yet, he still denies that it is homophobic. He is unrepentant. Why? My guess is that he does not give a brick what the LGBT community think. And that he has no respect for LGBT people.

That is a subtle distinction. What happens if someone calls you a yid on a matchday but not in the stadium. Say at Finsbury Park station. Is that still ok?

These type subtleties have been tested with the N-word (the whole rappers use it differently). And they have been consistently rejected as a justification for racism.

I do not accept the suggestion that the potential subtle difference is in the word makes it ok. He is a homophobe. And will be playing at right back for us.
We were never the intended recipients (spurs fans) of the racial slur Yid while Black Rappers are recipients of the racial slur Nigger, so by calling them this you are still open to be rightly called out for it - in my opinion this is the distinction, if Spurs supporters were only Jewish I would then have an issue with the above.

getting a bit off track but in the circles I mix with I hear I hate the Yids, or you Yids were lucky this weekend and don't give it a second thought as there is no racist intent there. If I label ourselves It and say it is different from the slur then I cant be upset if others use it in that way - and in this instance it is easy to distinguish between the two.

Yep and that is not going to change so either get over it or go and support Rainbow United

How close is that to overt homophobia?

if you are gay. Don't support Tottenham Hotspur. Instead support to use your delightful term "Rainbow United"

The LGBT community had been vocal in their offence at his use of the word. Yet, he still denies that it is homophobic. He is unrepentant. Why? My guess is that he does not give a brick what the LGBT community think. And that he has no respect for LGBT people.

If this is true then I agree that he should've expressed an apology to the LGBT community. Even if he didn't mean it as a homophobic slur, that would be a reasonable thing to do.

We were never the intended recipients (spurs fans) of the racial slur Yid while Black Rappers are recipients of the racial slur Nigger, so by calling them this you are still open to be rightly called out for it - in my opinion this is the distinction, if Spurs supporters were only Jewish I would then have an issue with the above.

getting a bit off track but in the circles I mix with I hear I hate the Yids, or you Yids were lucky this weekend and don't give it a second thought as there is no racist intent there. If I label ourselves It and say it is different from the slur then I cant be upset if others use it in that way - and in this instance it is easy to distinguish between the two.

When fans of other clubs refer to us 'yid scum' or anything else containing 'yid', they are trying to be insulting and cause offense. Whether they are truly racist is another matter.

Aurier probably used the words he used because they are strong curse words, just like any us will do in the heat of the moment. Some words should be avoided in certain situations because they can be extremely offensive, but I don't think it should be entirely up to the recipient to decide what the intent was.

Your story illustrated what matters is not what you say but how people perceive it. You understood this and did not use it again.

So you are pre judging him? Judging some one on a guess, your words by the way, or are you a wum/troll who has taken their argument to far and can't back out?

The word is just that, a serious of letters put together to denote something. If that series of letters has two or more different meanings who are you tell someone they can't use that word, even with a totally different meaning, because you are offended?
Can you point to the FRENCH LGBT community being vocal about the opposition to this word?
So, what you're really saying that your feelings and culture are more important than anyone else's.

So, for instance, a Liverpool fans says "I hate yids". You are ok with that? If the same man says "I hate faggots". Are you still ok with that.

I am not ok with either.

I wouldn't be ok with either as well. But that is not what was said by our potential new RB was It?

If he did say something like that, I think you would find a lot more support here for your position.

When fans of other clubs refer to us 'yid scum' or anything else containing 'yid', they are trying to be insulting and cause offense. Whether they are truly racist is another matter.

Aurier probably used the words he used because they are strong curse words, just like any us will do in the heat of the moment. Some words should be avoided in certain situations because they can be extremely offensive, but I don't think it should be entirely up to the recipient to decide what the intent was.
they are trying to cause offence if they use the words Spurs Scum -- if we say that this word is a lable to Spurs fans and others use it in this manner I cant see how we can complain. That is not to say it is never used with racist intent but in the same way we can defend our non racist usage so can others (until it is used otherwise).

most of the arguments used against Aurier can and are used against our use of the word Yid.

There are a surprising number of people that agree with me on this matter. Just not on here.
I can understand how a lot of people have been offended but they really do not need to be offended. The reason being is that the world is becoming too sensitive and this is the norm now, which is wrong. As mentioned countless of times on here, what Aurier has said is not how many are perceiving it and it is how you perceive a comment as to if it is homophobic. I believe I know a homophobic comment when I hear one and I do not think what he said is that.

It doesnt mean we were living in the dark ages in the time of Franky Howard at all but when the days have changed in that you cannot make fun of anyone anymore then the world is a more depressing place.

So you are pre judging him? Judging some one on a guess, your words by the way, or are you a wum/troll who has taken their argument to far and can't back out?

The word is just that, a serious of letters put together to denote something. If that series of letters has two or more different meanings who are you tell someone they can't use that word, even with a totally different meaning, because you are offended?
Can you point to the FRENCH LGBT community being vocal about the opposition to this word?
So, what you're really saying that your feelings and culture are more important than anyone else's.

i am entitled to draw inference from his unrepentant use of a homophobic slur. My inference is that he has no respect for the LGBT community. And does not care what they think.

My feelings are what they are and I am offended by a homophobic slur and that we should all be offended by it in the same waysas we should all be offended by a racial slur or a slur against someone with a disability.

I understand you don't agree with this. I just think you are wrong.

For me Yids has become a cloudy area because we use it so frequently ourselves when people say "I hate those yids" I see it almost the same as "I hate Spurs" if that makes sense, I am not saying its right or wrong but I don't blink when people say that.

Homosexuality is a rough subject, for example in religious contexts it is outlawed and although an outdated view people still believe as much in that rule in life as they do the 10 commandments, again not saying it is right but there are people that take religious views wholly without any movement.

I have gay friends who I do not discriminate against but I don't agree with being gay, does not mean I am homophobic I just don't look at same sex relationships as my cup of tea but in terms of my friends, crack on with what you wanna do, just don't agree with it.

On to Aurier, I don't think what he said was as bad as being made out, called Blanc a Faggot and Said he got head from Ibrahimovic, I would suggest he was trying to being disrespectful to them rather than gay people. We all see things different though.

Conor McGregor uses the word Faggot all the time and just became a huge paid sports start where on the worlds biggest stage in sports this year no one mentioned it

I can understand how a lot of people have been offended but they really do not need to be offended. The reason being is that the world is becoming too sensitive and this is the norm now, which is wrong. As mentioned countless of times on here, what Aurier has said is not how many are perceiving it and it is how you perceive a comment as to if it is homophobic. I believe I know a homophobic comment when I hear one and I do not think what he said is that.

It doesnt mean we were living in the dark ages in the time of Franky Howard at all but when the days have changed in that you cannot make fun of anyone anymore then the world is a more depressing place.

You can make fun of people. Just not using homophobic slurs.

And I am not sure Aurier was doing that he used that word.

i am entitled to draw inference from his unrepentant use of a homophobic slur. My inference is that he has no respect for the LGBT community. And does not care what they think.

My feelings are what they are and I am offended by a homophobic slur and that we should all be offended by it in the same waysas we should all be offended by a racial slur or a slur against someone with a disability.

Show me the evidence that it is a homophobic slur and I will wholeheartedly support you in condemning him for it.

Conor McGregor uses the word Faggot all the time and just became a huge paid sports start where on the worlds biggest stage in sports this year no one mentioned it

That is a sad reflection on our society and sports fans generally.

But if that is the case, he is allowed to feel that way, peoples personal thoughts on subjects such as homosexuality are just that. This is one of the reasons I moved to the US, where freedom of speech is allowed and protected by the first amendment. I truly believe that people should be able to think and speak as they see fit.

Back