• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Financial Results

There's a few groups that the various competitions (Norwegian league, Premier League and CL being the most popular) alternate between. The benefit to the consumer is that it's become ridiculously expensive to follow even one of them, let alone have access to everything you want to watch (if one channel shows the PL, someone else has the domestic cups). You also need change your subscriptions regularly because whoever has the rights changes every two or three years.

I don't know much about them. Didn't they buy premier sports last july though? Giving them the rights in ireland aswell.

I don't know much about them. Didn't they buy premier sports last july though? Giving them the rights in ireland aswell.
Premier don't have the rights for Ireland, they show one Saturday 3pm game a week. Sky and TNT/BT show the same games in Ireland as they do in England.

I see tv rights ovners are losing money now, Viaplay that have the rights in Skandinavia and poland are losing brick loads.
Here in Norway I have to pay 60£ a month to see PL and another 30£ to see CL.
What do others that pay for the service have to pay? I feel its too expensive now.
I pay about £55 for a year subscription. PL, CL and absolutely everything else. 3000+ channels and lots of on demand content.
The subscription for PL in Norway is at least 3 times the amount I'm, and a lot of others, willing to pay. But when they don't get as many subscribers as they thought, their response is to increase the amount even further, which leads to even more people cancelling their sub, which leads to another price increase etc.
Also, they could save a fortune by just skipping pre-game with a whole host of idiots in the studio, talking rubbish for an hour. No one is interested! Also they could just go with the commentators from the international broadcast instead of sending two macarons to every game.

I pay about £55 for a year subscription. PL, CL and absolutely everything else. 3000+ channels and lots of on demand content.
The subscription for PL in Norway is at least 3 times the amount I'm, and a lot of others, willing to pay. But when they don't get as many subscribers as they thought, their response is to increase the amount even further, which leads to even more people cancelling their sub, which leads to another price increase etc.
Also, they could save a fortune by just skipping pre-game with a whole host of idiots in the studio, talking rubbish for an hour. No one is interested! Also they could just go with the commentators from the international broadcast instead of sending two macarons to every game.

Do they actually send people to games? Remember when i worked at channel 4, the commentators for serie a did it from the lower ground in channel 4 main building.

I hope the Premier League eventually just do it all themselves. Cut out Sky Sports, BT Sport, the worldwide broadcasters. Sell advertising and subscriptions direct to users. Then I could travel anywhere in the world and watch with my subscription.

They already do a lot of the content; they have pre-match, post-match and midweek shows. They have global commentary. It's just whether the business side of it makes sense; when companies like Sky pay so much, maybe not.

I'd be willing to pay quite a lot of money to subscribe directly to the leagues that I want to watch, and forget the ones I don't.

Are there countries that show PL games for free on the terrestrial state broadcaster like BBC but abroad?
I mistakenly thought that Scandi countries got PL games for free, but I see Norwegians are being absolutely fleeced.

If so, e.g. in USA or Australia or Venezuela or wherever, could I use NordVPN to say I am in that country and simply watch the state broadcaster via their version of iPlayer?

I assume nothing is so simple.

I know NBC/Pearooster seem to get loads of games in the States, but I don't think that is a free channel.

I hope the Premier League eventually just do it all themselves. Cut out Sky Sports, BT Sport, the worldwide broadcasters. Sell advertising and subscriptions direct to users. Then I could travel anywhere in the world and watch with my subscription.

They already do a lot of the content; they have pre-match, post-match and midweek shows. They have global commentary. It's just whether the business side of it makes sense; when companies like Sky pay so much, maybe not.

I'd be willing to pay quite a lot of money to subscribe directly to the leagues that I want to watch, and forget the ones I don't.
The obvious reason they wouldn't do that is they'd then be the ones directly taking on the problem of illegal watching. At the moment they bank their money and sit in the sun

I tried iptv at the end og the season, the price was too high to pay. But now the police in netherlands has closed the servers. But with other prices just going up, I dont know what to do next season. It will be the first season in 22 years I cant see the games. I belive if the price was 20£ a month they would have 10times as many buying the product

I tried iptv at the end og the season, the price was too high to pay. But now the police in netherlands has closed the servers. But with other prices just going up, I dont know what to do next season. It will be the first season in 22 years I cant see the games. I belive if the price was 20£ a month they would have 10times as many buying the product

VPN.

As @SpurMeUp said vpn and get it from aus or america. Far cheaper. Think aus is $10 a month.

I've sent you a DM

Thinking about the PPV option where each team could be watched all season
Wonder what sort of charge they would put on it in the UK
£500 a season for all 38 league games or less ??
Do hope this happens in the future, surely it has to

Much less. £10-20 a month. Or you find alternative means.

Demand and supply though. If 100 people are willing to pay £500 a season. That would be £50k a season. If 10,000 people are willing to pay £100 a season. That's £1m a season.

I read a while back that there are plans for people to be able to package up season ticket passes for their favourite teams cross sport, so basically one streaming platform where you have, in my case, all Spurs games, Essex and England Cricket, Cleveland Baseball, Boxing etc etc. The stumbling block is that the rights being sold to multiple distributers meaning it would all need to go in house and the development needed for that to happen could take a while.

You have to think that within 10 years and the way technology is that everything being played everywhere will be available to package up into what you want as a bundle.

Question is the impact on attendances. You'd need to think about net revenues i.e. subscriptions for PPV minus lost ticket sales

I think they have pretty much proven that little impact to games with the availability on TV. Live Streaming used as an alternative to rather than a direct choice of attending games. Demand for attending games is strong over Europe and where there is not its not an impact of streaming, its other factors like economics and performances etc.

Question is the impact on attendances. You'd need to think about net revenues i.e. subscriptions for PPV minus lost ticket sales

It wouldn't be lost ticket sales though. It would just mean a reduction in the price for a ticket. Which i don't think fans would feel is a bad idea.

Back