• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Federico Fazio

Yes he rarely just lumps the ball forward when clearing - seems to always find a team mate

Like many others I do think he has grown into the team and looked good with Jan back there..at least we're now getting a consistent center half pairing. I do still worry about out defence though, for me watching us we are so square as a back four! The amount of times strikers get in between the two in the middle and we don't have the full back tucked round. Still a hell of a lot of work to be done defensively

Correct me if i am wrong but it was his quick pass from defense that released Lamela who squared to Chadli to set up Kane for the goal against Leicester?

He does like to release the ball forward quickly and precisely from defense. Obviously this is a risky game but fits with the fast transitions that Poch wants, catching the opposition out of position and creating better chances.

I don't remember that specific situation, but yes he's good on the ball and yes he accepts playing with a certain risk in our buildup play like Poch seems to want.

Like many others I do think he has grown into the team and looked good with Jan back there..at least we're now getting a consistent center half pairing. I do still worry about out defence though, for me watching us we are so square as a back four! The amount of times strikers get in between the two in the middle and we don't have the full back tucked round. Still a hell of a lot of work to be done defensively

Remember though that of our current back 4 (Davies, Verts, Fazio and Walker) we have two new signings, Walker just now returning from injury and a Vertonghen that was average at best last season. They're being protected by two out of Bentaleb, Mason and Stambouli these days, not exactly a settled team. Yes we look vulnerable at times, but I really think it will improve given some time.

I was listening to the latest edition of TheGame podcast from The Times this week.
The French football journalist Julien Laurens was very scathing of Fazio's performance vs Man utd and made a few other observations.

Listen here (I think from around 30 mins, near the start of the 'Quick Hits' section): http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/183601977-the-game-podcast-everton-overpaid-for-romelu-lukaku.mp3

I'd be interested to hear what those who went to the game/watched it live think about his comments.

I do not rate him at the moment and Verts is not exactly been the best defender in the world either. I think if it wasn't for Lloris we would have the worst GD in the league.

I'm not saying he will not come good but at the moment i just see too many mistakes. He is making mistakes Kaboul was getting slaughtered for.

I do not rate him at the moment and Verts is not exactly been the best defender in the world either. I think if it wasn't for Lloris we would have the worst GD in the league.

I'm not saying he will not come good but at the moment i just see too many mistakes. He is making mistakes Kaboul was getting slaughtered for.

Yeah I'm still not convinced about the back four. Lloris saves us so many times. Some would argue that's his job and De Gea has done the same for United this season, but we don't look convincing, teams cut through us far more easily than we cut through them, even teams like Leicester!

I was listening to the latest edition of TheGame podcast from The Times this week.
The French football journalist Julien Laurens was very scathing of Fazio's performance vs Man utd and made a few other observations.

Listen here (I think from around 30 mins, near the start of the 'Quick Hits' section): http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/183601977-the-game-podcast-everton-overpaid-for-romelu-lukaku.mp3

I'd be interested to hear what those who went to the game/watched it live think about his comments.

The link is dead for me, however I was at the game and Fazio was second only to Lloris as MOM so whoever the journo is he is talking **** if he thought he was not playing well.

Correct link: https://soundcloud.com/the-game-podcast/everton-overpaid-for-romelu-lukaku

So Julien Laurens thought he was a liability, another of the participants thought he did well. No real details about what he thought Fazio did wrong, just that he was a liability and that Vertonghen and Pochettino apparently looked like they didn't understand what was going on and that it was Fazio's fault. A mention that we played a high line, which puzzled me.

No real analysis in those comments. I really don't understand what they thought made Fazio a liability in that game. Absolutely no comments about positioning or the players around him.

No idea who Julien Laurens is, is he at all rated for his tactical insight?

Correct link: https://soundcloud.com/the-game-podcast/everton-overpaid-for-romelu-lukaku

So Julien Laurens thought he was a liability, another of the participants thought he did well. No real details about what he thought Fazio did wrong, just that he was a liability and that Vertonghen and Pochettino apparently looked like they didn't understand what was going on and that it was Fazio's fault. A mention that we played a high line, which puzzled me.

No real analysis in those comments. I really don't understand what they thought made Fazio a liability in that game. Absolutely no comments about positioning or the players around him.

No idea who Julien Laurens is, is he at all rated for his tactical insight?

In the United game, besides the moment when he decided to chest it and it went to a United player, he was not a liability. I still remain unconvinced about him and the back four's overall play in general.

Based on the season so far. He's been our best central defender, easily. Him and Verts are improving game by game. We look fine defensively, there are use course times a player will squeeze through (rvp) but that happens even against the best defences (Mane vs chelsea) could also be the fact that it was two different full backs to what the two centre halves were used to from last game. Plus he's a beast in the air, helps us massively when defending set pieces and he's a threat from them too.

Totally at fault for their second goal yesterday no denying that but other than that didn't think he put a foot wrong.

dont mind him being at fault at all to be honest...even though its a team game the fact remains that he was looking to play in a certain type of philosophy

i would rather he did that then destabilize our team development by constantly hoofing the ball when under any level of pressure

dont mind him being at fault at all to be honest...even though its a team game the fact remains that he was looking to play in a certain type of philosophy

i would rather he did that then destabilize our team development by constantly hoofing the ball when under any level of pressure

Spot on affy! Couldn't agree more.

Yes it's an error, but not one he's making frequently and not one he's alone in making.

We played through their pressure quite frequently accepting some risk every time we did so. We looked very good doing so and hopefully we'll continue to improve in that aspect as we go forward. Against United we struggled a lot more with that.

Spot on affy! Couldn't agree more.

Yes it's an error, but not one he's making frequently and not one he's alone in making.

We played through their pressure quite frequently accepting some risk every time we did so. We looked very good doing so and hopefully we'll continue to improve in that aspect as we go forward. Against United we struggled a lot more with that.

TBF he is making one or two bad errors in every game and the fact is that most haven't been punished. He needs to cut them out.

He was good against United but RVP had chance after chance as he peeled off him or Verts, so to say he was up there with Lloris is incorrect. There are too many errors that he is making right now, BUT unlike Kaboul he doesn't come across as shaky and weak to boot so he should be starting every single match if possible. He is improving but he needs to work on not allowing strikers (RVP, Bony, Ulloa etc) to lose him as easily as they can.

The losing the ball in bad areas is an issue but one that hopefully will be addressed a lot easier. He has been solid lately and it's nice to have some reliability and consistency at the back. Can't wait to see the back of Kaboul.

Also Vertonghen has been excellent lately and is so far ahead of Fazio in terms of ability and performance.

TBF he is making one or two bad errors in every game and the fact is that most haven't been punished. He needs to cut them out.

He was good against United but RVP had chance after chance as he peeled off him or Verts, so to say he was up there with Lloris is incorrect. There are too many errors that he is making right now, BUT unlike Kaboul he doesn't come across as shaky and weak to boot so he should be starting every single match if possible. He is improving but he needs to work on not allowing strikers (RVP, Bony, Ulloa etc) to lose him as easily as they can.

The losing the ball in bad areas is an issue but one that hopefully will be addressed a lot easier. He has been solid lately and it's nice to have some reliability and consistency at the back. Can't wait to see the back of Kaboul.

Also Vertonghen has been excellent lately and is so far ahead of Fazio in terms of ability and performance.

Agree 100%

He's so crucial to us defensively. Wins EVERYTHING in the air. The amount of times Chel53a, even Utd tried to play the ball over our defenders and Fazio was there to win everything. Imagine if we still had Kaboul at the back. Fazio ****es all over him in the air and on the ball. One thing I liked was when Ramires was through, he decided to force him wide and just knock him off balance instead of sliding in and potentially conceding a corner. He done it at Swansea too, he knew he wouldnt beat Bony for pace so just kept showing him out wide.

Vertonghen has improved BECAUSE of him. I personally think defensively, Fazio is ahead of him, Vertonghen is a better footballer though.

He's so crucial to us defensively. Wins EVERYTHING in the air. The amount of times Chel53a, even Utd tried to play the ball over our defenders and Fazio was there to win everything. Imagine if we still had Kaboul at the back. Fazio ****es all over him in the air and on the ball. One thing I liked was when Ramires was through, he decided to force him wide and just knock him off balance instead of sliding in and potentially conceding a corner. He done it at Swansea too, he knew he wouldnt beat Bony for pace so just kept showing him out wide.

Vertonghen has improved BECAUSE of him. I personally think defensively, Fazio is ahead of him, Vertonghen is a better footballer though.

This, this, this .. said it numerous times in this thread and others.

If you look at a lot of the games where we have been smashed in the last 2-3 years, it has come from the opposition using the ball over the top to a runner that usually left us in a 1:1 situation.

Problem for Fazio (from a fan perspective), is most people just see him winning a header, they are not seeing the play he is cutting out, it's a proactive step vs. reactive.

Regardless of opinion, a back 2 that loses 1 game in 15, needs to continue playing.

This, this, this .. said it numerous times in this thread and others.

If you look at a lot of the games where we have been smashed in the last 2-3 years, it has come from the opposition using the ball over the top to a runner that usually left us in a 1:1 situation.

Problem for Fazio (from a fan perspective), is most people just see him winning a header, they are not seeing the play he is cutting out, it's a proactive step vs. reactive.

Regardless of opinion, a back 2 that loses 1 game in 15, needs to continue playing.

Yeah this is all correct

Before the game I commented to a mate that Fazio suits the big physical forwards and struggles against the nimble fast ones. It's narural for a player of his size/type and it's a rare player of his ilk that can deal with both types

The results we have had with Fazio and. Verts together though shows a balance between the PAIR that I haven't seen since Dawson/King or Woodgate/King

Still cannot drop your bias against Fazio, can you? [-X

Fazio is miles better than Verthongen and, as has been commented before, the fact that Verts return to form has coincided with Fazio's introduction is anything but coincidental. What Fazio is - that Verthongen will never be - is a leader. There is nothing shameful in this; some players are leaders, others aren't. But Fazio's leadership has taken the organisation of the defence off Verts' shoulders and he has improved as a result.

If given the right passes top class strikers will peel off defenders.

Really don't think he's making as many mistakes as you're claiming, or perhaps I don't think most of his mistakes are as bad as you're claiming.

Back