• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Federico Fazio

Was at game on weekend - Fazio struggled with Beharino at times and was bailed out by others - seemed quite shaky during parts of the game. However as someone said, despite us being quite lucky at times, we have a very good record when Fazio/Vert play so that is a positive and something we should look to nurture further as the season progresses.

Was interested to see some people criticise Dier for Burnley's goals - didn't seem like there was much that he could do against the excellent cross and the second was a bit of a shambles all round. For me though Dier has looked excellent at Centre Half and i would not be surprised if he started this weekend either as his mobility might be more suited to the opposition. Dier looks very strong on the ball, quick, aggressive and has shown a very good attitude over the past few weeks. He looks like a proper Prem centre Half and I predict that he may well be first choice come 2015/2016 season. Very Impressed by him.

Was at game on weekend - Fazio struggled with Beharino at times and was bailed out by others - seemed quite shaky during parts of the game. However as someone said, despite us being quite lucky at times, we have a very good record when Fazio/Vert play so that is a positive and something we should look to nurture further as the season progresses.

Was interested to see some people criticise Dier for Burnley's goals - didn't seem like there was much that he could do against the excellent cross and the second was a bit of a shambles all round. For me though Dier has looked excellent at Centre Half and i would not be surprised if he started this weekend either as his mobility might be more suited to the opposition. Dier looks very strong on the ball, quick, aggressive and has shown a very good attitude over the past few weeks. He looks like a proper Prem centre Half and I predict that he may well be first choice come 2015/2016 season. Very Impressed by him.

agree with you on this one. Dier to me looks a lot more mobile, still has the height and he is also a threat from set pieces. He just needs some more game time. To blame him for the Sheffield United goals is out of order. Maybe he could have cut out the cross on the first goal, but so could have Davies or Verts who was playing on that side that the ball came from. Not to mention Townsends tracking back. Second goal was a mess.

Fazio looks akward against trickier players. I would be of a mind to play fazio in games against teams who have a target man as he is dominant in the air. And then play Dier against the teams who like to work it. I dont care about Fazio and Verts record. That just shows me how bad Kaboul and Chriches have played when they do.

I would certainly prefer to play Dier against the Scum and Liverpoop. Fazio versus spam. And then Dier again versus Chelski in the final.

agree with you on this one. Dier to me looks a lot more mobile, still has the height and he is also a threat from set pieces. He just needs some more game time. To blame him for the Sheffield United goals is out of order. Maybe he could have cut out the cross on the first goal, but so could have Davies or Verts who was playing on that side that the ball came from. Not to mention Townsends tracking back. Second goal was a mess.

Fazio looks akward against trickier players. I would be of a mind to play fazio in games against teams who have a target man as he is dominant in the air. And then play Dier against the teams who like to work it. I dont care about Fazio and Verts record. That just shows me how bad Kaboul and Chriches have played when they do.

I would certainly prefer to play Dier against the Scum and Liverpoop. Fazio versus spam. And then Dier again versus Chelski in the final.

I agree - I have changed my opinion on Fazio and i think he offers something to this squad and will be vital for some of the opponents we face. However for me Dier at CB looks like he could be the real deal and is a very complete defender. Perhaps his inexperience might count against him this weekend but I would probably feel more comfortable with him against Arsenal tbh.

Still scratching my head at his omission today!!

If there was one game I would have played the big Argentine, it was today. Pretty sure he would have cut out the first goal...

If there was one game I would have played the big Argentine, it was today. Pretty sure he would have cut out the first goal...

West Ham without Carroll are quite a different prospect.

Dier was tested a lot with lofted balls into space and along the ground. He struggled at times, as I think Fazio would have.

Seems like a perfectly fine choice to go for Dier for this one.

Would prefer Fazio for the Fiorentina and Chelsea games though.

West Ham without Carroll are quite a different prospect.

Dier was tested a lot with lofted balls into space and along the ground. He struggled at times, as I think Fazio would have.

Seems like a perfectly fine choice to go for Dier for this one.

Would prefer Fazio for the Fiorentina and Chelsea games though.
Agree. Fazio also is a lot more composed right now on the ball but does take chances. Dier obviously is very young so a lot of time to develop still

Easy to say in hindsight, who's to say he wouldn't have made an error today that cost us a goal had he been playing.

Fazio although he's had some very good games for us; he's also had some very shaky ones. His one major weakness is lack of pace which often means you'll find him overcompensating in a number of ways, leaving him out of position and our defence open.

Sakho and Valencia are both very fast so definitely felt more comfortable having Dier instead of Fazio today. As mentioned if Carroll was available then yes, Fazio probably would've played.
Fazio for Thursday but undecided who I'd start on Sunday.

I like Fazio, he has won me over after an awful start. Think we look better when he is there, not got any stats to back it up because that is not really the way I judge a player. Just going on what I see and I think he has good presence and a reading of the game.

Easy to say in hindsight, who's to say he wouldn't have made an error today that cost us a goal had he been playing.

Fazio although he's had some very good games for us; he's also had some very shaky ones. His one major weakness is lack of pace which often means you'll find him overcompensating in a number of ways, leaving him out of position and our defence open.
The majority of his 'shaky' ones were at the start of his career which was understandable. His partnership with Verts was a solid base, and there was no real reason for him not to be selected once fit again. Does anyone really think we look more solid with a Dier/Verts combo than Fazio/Verts? I certainly don't....

Agree that hindsight is a wonderful thing and obviously it was yet another "what if"

I beg to differ on one point. Fazio's major compensation for his obvious lack of pace is a better reading of the game. In fact I think he is the only CB at the club who organises the defence.

For me Fazio and Jan are our best two CB's and should play together as first choice, Dier has a lot of promise but he should be behind both Jan and Fazio in selection.

For me Fazio and Jan are our best two CB's and should play together as first choice, Dier has a lot of promise but he should be behind both Jan and Fazio in selection.

I agree that they are currently our best two centre backs.

But I quite like Pochettino's approach. First of all playing Fazio against two quick forwards and a team set out to counter attack against us is to an extent setting him up to fail, and the perfect opportunity to give Dier a game. "Giving" Dier a game (not sold on the formulation) is important both to help his development, but also just to keep him close to match fit if we do have to call on him later on. Whilst also making sure that our players are reasonably fit and sharp coming through a tough fixture list.

I agree that they are currently our best two centre backs.

But I quite like Pochettino's approach. First of all playing Fazio against two quick forwards and a team set out to counter attack against us is to an extent setting him up to fail, and the perfect opportunity to give Dier a game. "Giving" Dier a game (not sold on the formulation) is important both to help his development, but also just to keep him close to match fit if we do have to call on him later on. Whilst also making sure that our players are reasonably fit and sharp coming through a tough fixture list.

I can't dance with most of that, as I say Dier is promising but he is still learning the game and if he starts to make mistakes ( like he is doing) then it could hold him back. A CB partnership is probably the most important in a team and swapping and changing too often leads to confusion, add to that our lack of a top defensive MF in front of the back four and that is one of the reasons we seem to be all over the place in some games.

I can't dance with most of that, as I say Dier is promising but he is still learning the game and if he starts to make mistakes ( like he is doing) then it could hold him back. A CB partnership is probably the most important in a team and swapping and changing too often leads to confusion, add to that our lack of a top defensive MF in front of the back four and that is one of the reasons we seem to be all over the place in some games.

First part of that is part of the cost of developing younger players I think.

I can't dance with the second part. And we've also looked all over the place in some games with Fazio.

First part of that is part of the cost of developing younger players I think.

I can't dance with the second part. And we've also looked all over the place in some games with Fazio.

I do agree, I have posted on here several times that I believe that although Bentaleb and Mason are both good players they are not at their best shielding our back four. We need to bring in someone who can offer more cover in the summer or play Stambouli as a first choice, at the moment I feel he is the only player we have in the squad who can do that ( imo).

I do agree, I have posted on here several times that I believe that although Bentaleb and Mason are both good players they are not at their best shielding our back four. We need to bring in someone who can offer more cover in the summer or play Stambouli as a first choice, at the moment I feel he is the only player we have in the squad who can do that ( imo).

Again I think part of that is the cost of developing players and also a result of developing a new style of play.

We've been very impressive, also defensively really, in some games with Bentaleb and Mason. It's more about consistency, not ability. And also the consistency of the 4 players ahead of them functioning as part of that defensive unit.

Back