• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fans last night

I don't think that's true. There's still only a block or so of the 1882 lot - people know who they are, they know where they are. If they wanted to join them they would.

Once again, even if it is only 1000 people singing, that's infinitely better than no one singing - which is what happens throughout the vast majority of every Premier League game.

The 1882 being artificial is a bit of a crap point - With no allocated place those who wanted to sing etc could get there early and get to the noisy places, it was self regulating as those who were not too bothered would move away. Also there would be groups of 30+ from one pub etc who would all go in together - 1882 is no different except you need to organise a place as you cant just turn up anymore.

No one is organising fun, people want to go there as they want to have the atmosphere - going to the game is for the atmosphere if I want to watch the game I will watch it on TV

Edit- as far as I can tell it isnt a case of " if you join 1882 you have to sing this / do that" it is "If you want to be loud and think the atmosphere is more important than the football why not come to block X where there will be others who think the same"

Precisely this.....although I would say that it's more a case of "If you want to be loud and think the atmosphere is as important as the football why not come to block X where there will be others who think the same"

Back to the ticket prices... last season it was £25 for an adult but you could take along 5 youngsters for a £5 each... which is what I did a couple of times, and thought it was top value. They didn't have that offer on this season unfortunately. Would have loved to have taken my kids last night but due to work it just wasn't going to happen. As to singing, I am a little self conscious about singing on my own when no one else around you is, so I can see the attraction of standing ((oops, sitting) in with the 1882 mob... just a shame they don't do the junior tickets there too.

As a kid the singing was always really important to me...as was the push and the shove of the shelf :(

£25 for the cheapest adult ticket, greedy Levy again !!

Why not make it £15 and fill the ground out

He will definitely have to when the new stadium finally arrives, can you imagine how it would have looked last night in a 56k as opposed to 36k, would have looked embarassing.

£15 and it would be full I am sure, and the £10 they lose in ticket revenue, surely some of that would be recouped with the extras (food,drink,programmes,etc) that the additional 10k would purchase on the night

He will definitely have to when the new stadium finally arrives, can you imagine how it would have looked last night in a 56k as opposed to 36k, would have looked embarassing.

£15 and it would be full I am sure, and the £10 they lose in ticket revenue, surely some of that would be recouped with the extras (food,drink,programmes,etc) that the additional 10k would purchase on the night

Cheaper tickets and a section where those who want to stand and sing can go and do that, and I might start going again. The quality on show has f**k all to do with the atmosphere imo. I went to my first game in 1994 and for the next 10 years or so after that we were sh1te, really bad. But the atmosphere was much better. It's the main reason I like going to live games and the main reason (the other being financial) that I don't go anymore.

But to do that, as sensible as it is, would be artificial.....

......according to your logic.

In all seriousness, 1882 really isn't much different to what you suggest. So it seems that you're making a big fuss about something you don't actually disagree with - just something that you don't (or refuse to) understand.

If the club just allowed everyone to choose their seats from scratch there'd be no cringe factor, no **** taking from other fans, no silly glee club.

Arranging in advance to all sit together for a sing-song is no different to the goons handing out hymn sheets.

1000 people singing is still a 1000% improvement on no people singing.

Erm......

And yes, of course we all want the team to play magnificent football, thereby giving us a "good reason to sing". That's stating the obvious. But, as someone who goes to every game, I can tell you that it won't make a blind bit of difference to the majority of fans who now constitute our crowd. They'll just stop moaning and booing for a while. In fact, quite the opposite of your claim, it was soon after we became a decent team that the atmosphere turned to ****.

So then why bother? If the vast majority are never going to sing it's never going to snowball.

If the club just allowed everyone to choose their seats from scratch there'd be no cringe factor, no **** taking from other fans, no silly glee club.

Arranging in advance to all sit together for a sing-song is no different to the goons handing out hymn sheets.

So what you're saying is that you're worried about looking uncool?

****'s sake, mate, you really are being obtuse about this.

There is no "glee club". Stop saying that there is. You're only making an **** of yourself by perpetuating your own fabrication.

Once again - 1882 is, in essence, nothing more than an area of the stadium reserved for those who want to sing and be surrounded by others who want to sing. And there is a need for it because there are too many old or just plain grumpy fans going to games now who do not want to sing. And because of season ticket waiting lists and designated seats, those who do want to sing have no way of getting together other than if a specific area is set aside for them. There are no longer the standing terraces which provided that exact service back in the day.

I go to games from time to time - not as much as I used to, but that's because of work commitments rather than any (perceived) lack of atmosphere.

Last night was good because we scored 5 goals and played some nice football, not because we had the glee club in.
Says somebody who wasn't there so has no idea.... The atmosphere from the 1882 lot would've been like that whether it was 5-1 or 0-0.

So what you're saying is that you're worried about looking uncool?
No, that's really not something I've ever had to be too concerned about.

More that the fact our club doesn't tend to do the kind of cringey stuff that West Ham and Fulham have to is something to be proud of.

Organised singing sections fits comfortably into that category for me.

Erm......

So then why bother? If the vast majority are never going to sing it's never going to snowball.

Erm.............because good football won't stir the majority into song. But others singing sometimes will.

And in the meanwhile, at least we'll have 1000 fans creating a bit of atmosphere.

It's not rocket science.

No, that's really not something I've ever had to be too concerned about.

More that the fact our club doesn't tend to do the kind of cringey stuff that West Ham and Fulham have to is something to be proud of.

Organised singing sections fits comfortably into that category for me.

[tweet]524510413523021825[/tweet]
[tweet]524510763118264320[/tweet]
[tweet]524568755482152960[/tweet]

You and I are at the very opposite ends of the scale in that respect then.

I want to enjoy the football I see when I go first and foremost. If there's a good atmosphere, even better but I don't consider an artificial atmosphere from a pre-planned group any better than the song sheets left on the seats at the Death Star.
Why is an atmosphere from a pre-planned group 'artificial'?

I have an ST at Spurs so go to most home games. The few I have been to with 1882 in attendance have been immeasurably better, the group have brought a smile to my face and I've not even been amongst them. So much so in fact that myself and the 3 friends who have STs next to me have all vowed to be part of that 1882 group at the next opportunity.

Last edited:
****'s sake, mate, you really are being obtuse about this.

There is no "glee club". Stop saying that there is. You're only making an **** of yourself by perpetuating your own fabrication.

Once again - 1882 is, in essence, nothing more than an area of the stadium reserved for those who want to sing and be surrounded by others who want to sing. And there is a need for it because there are too many old or just plain grumpy fans going to games now who do not want to sing. And because of season ticket waiting lists and designated seats, those who do want to sing have no way of getting together other than if a specific area is set aside for them. There are no longer the standing terraces which provided that exact service back in the day.

Yet we had a good atmosphere without terraces and without "groups of like-minded people who all want to sing together gathering in a particular place to do so"

Does that last bit sound better than "Glee club"? It's pretty much the same thing.

It's clearly possible to have a good atmosphere without this so I'd really rather we didn't. (Although I would like terraces back).

Back