• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Falklands

She's sending that country down the toilet and doing anything she can to divert interest. 20% inflation, an energy crisis (due to the fact no foreign investor will go near Arg with a barge pole due to her protectionist measures), huge debt bills and to solve these she's now taking resources out of pensions and the central bank. They are gonna destroy themselves soon enough, last thing they are capable of is mounting any kind of military action

losing Spain for trade will be a massive blow for them, I agree she is using a smokescreen, but with 60 billion barrels of oil around the Falklands, it's obvious she will go at any lengths to get them.

These new Daring Class ships are ridiculous.

It's not overstating to say NOTHING in the world can beat it. The Yanks have similar vessels but it's capability is superb, and we have 6 of them.

I saw the Vulcan fly in the flesh at an air show around 3 years ago

Farking hell, the noise of the thing is enough to brick you up, let alone the weapons

Unbelievable war machine

These new Daring Class ships are ridiculous.

It's not overstating to say NOTHING in the world can beat it. The Yanks have similar vessels but it's capability is superb, and we have 6 of them.

this one is out protecting the Falklands at the mo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dauntless_(D33)

The ship's capabilities centre on the SAMPSON Multi Function Radar which can detect hundreds of targets out to a distance of 400 km (250 mi) and the Sea Viper missile system. In addition Daring's S1850M 3D air surveillance radar is capable of detecting 1,000 targets up to 400 km (250 mi). It is also capable of detecting outer atmosphere objects such as ballistic missiles.

:p holy balls

Don't be ashamed, lots of people failed Geography

Agreed. My geography is shocking outside of the countries that count for something.

Argentina, Antarctica, the Vatican, Wales, anywhere north of Watford, all a struggle for me.

The Falklands are ours!
The Falklands are ours!
fudge off back to Argentina!
The Falklands are ours!

Hope the barcodes get that going at the weekend

Love the Vulcan reference, that was some mission. Read Vulcan 607, couldn't put it down!

Interesting to read all of the effort that went into the mission, that ultimately achieved absolutely nothing of military significance, other than proving that we could do it.

Interesting to read all of the effort that went into the mission, that ultimately achieved absolutely nothing of military significance, other than proving that we could do it.

i thought it was crucial as it stopped them landing/launching jets from Port Stanley and also made them hold defence resources on the mainland incase the VForce attacked there?

i thought it was crucial as it stopped them landing/launching jets from Port Stanley and also made them hold defence resources on the mainland incase the VForce attacked there?

It was an exercise that would never have been repeated, because of the logistical nightmare that it became. Particularly as it involved a/c that were literally on their way to be scrapped.

The aircraft all missed their target (ie disabling the runway) and the Argies put fake craters on it to make it look like it had been a success

as you rightly say though, the Argies didn't know that so they kept their planes back on the mainland, which limited their combat time over the islands, which when the Harriers turned up proved crucial. The runway in Stanley was unsuitable for fast jets anyway and the only stuff that came in and out were Hercs and other turboprop planes

There is no point doing any comparison between the two militaries. The British military was better than the Argentine one in 1980. Since the war, Britain has continued to expand its military and advance it technologically. Argentina has at best stood still and it has actually gone backwards in a lot of ways. Kirschner reduced military spending by a lot to pre-empt a coup against political leaders.

Just about the one thing they have going for them militarily is that the USA may increasingly see them as an ally in controlling Brazil and her ambitions to replace the US as the major power in Latin America.

I love the term fast jet, make me feel nostalgic about the early days of jet aviation and i am only 33.

Back