• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fair play Daniel Levy

Not sure if this has already been posted here or elsewhere, but a (in my eyes) good article on some of the off the pitch stuff that in the end was a big part of AVB losing his job.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/12/17/4484755/the-rows-fallouts-that-cost-villas-boas-his-job-as-tottenham

A couple of points:

-Seems to confirm that the Sunday meeting was at least an opportunity to clear the air and work towards a solution to our problems. And first after that meeting was the decision made to get rid of AVB.

-Baldini was a part of that meeting on the Sunday along with Levy and AVB. Baldini was supposedly AVB's first choice man for the DoF/technical director position this summer and someone he wanted to work with. Yet so soon into their relationship this was what it had come to.

-Behind the scenes conflicts were fairly widespread. Stobart's words: "In the end, almost everywhere you looked at Spurs, there was someone with whom Villas-Boas had clashed."

Several other quotes in that article that would be worth posting. I think Stobart is one of the most reliable journalists for Tottenham information. It might not all be true, it might be tinted by whoever he's getting various pieces of information from.

I honestly think Levy didn't have much of a choice in the end, I think this sacking is fairly comparable to the Redknapp one. The results weren't quite there, there were clear on the pitch problems, but matched with some off the pitch problems that made the sacking the logical thing to do.

Sadly this appears to be the case. I hope AVB finds a way to work beyond his own character limitations, because i think he has a lot in his locker with regards to coaching ability except a bit of flexibility.

You're using Liverpool for you example as the club that gave their manager time and it ended up working for them? Really? After them sacking Benitez in the summer of 2010 and since then have fired another two managers. If anything this seems like an example of "give the manager a season and a half to sort it out, if it doesn't work by then sack him and give a new dude the chance until you find something that sticks".

Edit: And no, sacking Rodgers at this time last season would not have been comparable to us sacking AVB now. If they sacked him then he would have been less than a season into his career there. Had Rodgers delivered the same performances and results this season as we have had topped off by losing 6-0 and 5-0 within the span of a couple of months I think the wheels would have been in motion for Rodgers to follow in the footsteps of Benitez, Hodgson and Daglish out the Anfield gates.

Thankyou, you saved me the time typing out the same.

These Liverpool comparisons are ridiculous and so obviously floored. First selling bale v pool keeping Suarez and now this!

Sadly this appears to be the case. I hope AVB finds a way to work beyond his own character limitations, because i think he has a lot in his locker with regards to coaching ability except a bit of flexibility.

To be my usual pedantic self...

Sad that it ended like that when there was a lot of promise shown for sure.

At the same time though I would rather have that be the cause of the sacking in the end rather than some of the other potential explanations. Makes the future look a bit better.

AVB was the wrong choice in the first place. Levy got it totally wrong and should have steered well clear after what happened at Chelsea. There were enough examples of AVB's strange behaviour, arrogance and poor tactics from there that should have made levy run a mile at the thought of appointing him.

AVB is a petulant kid in management terms.

To be my usual pedantic self...

Sad that it ended like that when there was a lot of promise shown for sure.

At the same time though I would rather have that be the cause of the sacking in the end rather than some of the other potential explanations. Makes the future look a bit better.

im not sure. First off all i dont have enough trust in Levy to make the right managerial choices, and secondly whenever the new manager has a rough spell of results and performances I dont think Levy will show enough patience. He is no better than the likes of Abramovich or other notorious chairman out there.

of course if constant changes in management somehow keeps us towards the top end fighting for CL football then Levy will think there is no harm in the way he hires and fires.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/20/luis-suarez-signs-long-term-liverpool-deal

"Liverpool have produced a major coup by securing Luis Suárez on a long-term contract that completes his transformation from outcast to the highest-paid player in the club's history inside four months.

The outstanding striker signed an improved four-and-a-half year deal on Friday following swift negotiations between the Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre and Suárez's agent, Pere Guardiola, in Barcelona earlier this week.

Suárez's reward for committing himself to Anfield until 2018 is believed to be a pay increase from £120,000-a-week to £200,000-a-week.

Liverpool moved swiftly to secure Suárez's services with the striker in stunning form, his club able to go top of the Premier League with victory over Cardiff City on Saturday and with the manager Brendan Rodgers insisting the player was at the "happiest point" of his professional career.

There was also a desire on both sides to avoid a repeat of last summer's transfer saga, when confusion over the terms of Suárez's previous contract – which still had two and a half years remaining – led the striker to believe he could leave for a Champions League club that offered over £40m for his services.

The Uruguay international agitated for a move to Arsenal and was forced to train away from the first-team squad, having accused Rodgers of breaking promises over his future.

Four months on and Suárez's standing has been transformed. The striker, who has scored 17 goals in 11 appearances this season, said: "I am delighted to have agreed a new deal with Liverpool and have my future secured for the long term.

"We have some great players....."

Yep, that's ambition right there. Us? Not feeling quite so sure anymore, having caved in and sold our best player and replaced him with the footballing equivalent of the Marx brothers. Over to you, Danny Boy.......

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/20/luis-suarez-signs-long-term-liverpool-deal

"Liverpool have produced a major coup by securing Luis Suárez on a long-term contract that completes his transformation from outcast to the highest-paid player in the club's history inside four months.

The outstanding striker signed an improved four-and-a-half year deal on Friday following swift negotiations between the Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre and Suárez's agent, Pere Guardiola, in Barcelona earlier this week.

Suárez's reward for committing himself to Anfield until 2018 is believed to be a pay increase from £120,000-a-week to £200,000-a-week.

Liverpool moved swiftly to secure Suárez's services with the striker in stunning form, his club able to go top of the Premier League with victory over Cardiff City on Saturday and with the manager Brendan Rodgers insisting the player was at the "happiest point" of his professional career.

There was also a desire on both sides to avoid a repeat of last summer's transfer saga, when confusion over the terms of Suárez's previous contract – which still had two and a half years remaining – led the striker to believe he could leave for a Champions League club that offered over £40m for his services.

The Uruguay international agitated for a move to Arsenal and was forced to train away from the first-team squad, having accused Rodgers of breaking promises over his future.

Four months on and Suárez's standing has been transformed. The striker, who has scored 17 goals in 11 appearances this season, said: "I am delighted to have agreed a new deal with Liverpool and have my future secured for the long term.

Yep, that's ambition right there. Us? Not feeling quite so sure anymore, having caved in and sold our best player and replaced him with the footballing equivalent of the Marx brothers. Over to you, Danny Boy.......

I cant see Suarez's side signing it unless there was a fully transparent get out clause with a fee attached (60m or something similar).

Fantastic business from Liverpool. Being run like a proper club now. I admire them for turning round the awful business they conducted with Kenny and Commoli, to now have some seriously quality players.

I completely think Liverpool are a fair example of showing patience. They finished 7th last year and let everyone get used to the methods, before keeping their best player and adding quality in Sturridge and Coutinho.

We come off a season of record points (which should buy AVB some good will with the club, but doesn't), we sell the clubs best player for the second season running and we make 7 first team signings, all of whom are from abroad, and we don't give them the minimum 6 months before judging them harshly.

The writing was on the wall for AVB this summer I would say, if Levy is happy to see him go to PSG he doesn't rate him, at that point it's only a matter of time before disagreements end up in a parting of ways.

I honestly think Levy didn't have much of a choice in the end, I think this sacking is fairly comparable to the Redknapp one. The results weren't quite there, there were clear on the pitch problems, but matched with some off the pitch problems that made the sacking the logical thing to do.

I agree with that. THe results weren't great but weren't awful however the problem, similar with Redkanpp, was the stff around that. With Rednapp it was the mouthing off to the media, the clahes with Levy, teh hitching his skirt to the FA etc etc etc whereas with AVB its the manner of the performances, the face that the standard of football will make us lose fans and attendances drop, the lack of any sort of attacking cohesion etc

The day we stop selling our best players and once just ONCE my season ticket doesn't rise in price like clockwork in the summer I'll take it back and say he isn't a crook. Until that day in my eyes he's a crook.

Have you heard of inflation? Supply & demand?

Well, let's first stipulate that this is Tottenham's spin on events - the story has clearly been informed by leaks from the club. So AVB would have counter-arguments and it's only fair we should acknowledge that.

However, there is an overwhelming ring of truth to all this for me. Not least because it sounds so similar to what happened at Chelsea. But also because we have circumstantial evidence to corroborate it.

1. The fact AVB wasn't sacked on Sunday night strongly supports the Goal version of events. If Levy/Baldini had it in for AVB they'd have moved on Sunday night. The fact they didn't seems to support the idea that the Sunday meeting was indeed an attempt to clear the air. But it seems AVB read that all wrong, dug his heels in and didn't budge.

Considering recent humiliating results he was in no position whatsoever to do that. None. If the Chairman and DoF wanted a discussion about where we were going, they had a right to ask those questions. It was time for a cool head and good politics from AVB. But it seems that was beyond him and instead there were his old problems of intransigence, stubbornness and immaturity. This version of events really does explain the Sunday/Monday meetings and it's hard to think of another explanation for why it happened that way.

2. We all heard AVB when he was appointed going along 100% with Spurs' strategic vision. That included youth development, a DoF and good football. Well, we didn't get good football. Certainly not. We didn't have youth development - instead, we had Paulinho, Vertonghen, Dembele and Walker playing every game that came along. We had AVB's apparent dissatisfaction with the transfer team and demands for Hulk, Moutinho and Villa, and rumblings when they didn't come off. Again, I see circumstantial evidence here that AVB said one thing and did another.

3. Conflict & communication problems. Again, there is evidence of plenty of it. With Levy over Moutinho, with Sherwood over perceived spying, with BAE and AE, with Freund who was relegated on the bench, and an inability to get his ideas across on the training pitch and then see them on match day. Again, this has a ring of truth and rhymes with what happened at Chelsea.

Sadly, I have to say I'm buying the broad outline of this story. His time was up.

I think his time was up too, but I don't think it's all AVBs famous 'character flaws' while the club have no part to play. I simply think the meeting of the minds was no longer there. What this story ignores is that according to other reliable sources, AVB no longer wanted to be at the club, so he wasn't going to try and rescue his job or agree to change, because he didn't want to be there anymore.

I think what happened was Sherwood has been in Levy's ear from the beginning, giving his 'opinionated' opinions on the facts that AVB is not playing enough youth, or that a slow tempo in home matches isn't the Spurs way. AVB would then say 'you guys are ****ing mental, you expect a title challenge, swashbuckling football, to sell my best player, to replace him with youths, or replace him with foreigners, and you want everything done now'.

I think the expectations were high when Bale was staying, but they weren't realigned when he was sold. AVB thought he should have had more support in that and since he didn't get it, he'd rather not be at the club. I'm sure if he wanted to fight for his job, he could have, but he was probably pretty annoyed that his job was in question after a couple of bad results and that he wasn't rewarded with an improved contract (a show of loyalty) when he had shown loyalty by not going to PSG.

For some reason, Levy didn't rate AVB enough to back him and see something long term through, AVB sensed that and didn't want to fight to be somewhere he wasn't wanted. Not any one persons character flaw, more a misalignment in strategy between the respective parties. And I blame Levy and his associates for plunging us into this messy messy season.

I think his time was up too, but I don't think it's all AVBs famous 'character flaws' while the club have no part to play. I simply think the meeting of the minds was no longer there. What this story ignores is that according to other reliable sources, AVB no longer wanted to be at the club, so he wasn't going to try and rescue his job or agree to change, because he didn't want to be there anymore.

I think what happened was Sherwood has been in Levy's ear from the beginning, giving his 'opinionated' opinions on the facts that AVB is not playing enough youth, or that a slow tempo in home matches isn't the Spurs way. AVB would then say 'you guys are ****ing mental, you expect a title challenge, swashbuckling football, to sell my best player, to replace him with youths, or replace him with foreigners, and you want everything done now'.

I think the expectations were high when Bale was staying, but they weren't realigned when he was sold. AVB thought he should have had more support in that and since he didn't get it, he'd rather not be at the club. I'm sure if he wanted to fight for his job, he could have, but he was probably pretty annoyed that his job was in question after a couple of bad results and that he wasn't rewarded with an improved contract (a show of loyalty) when he had shown loyalty by not going to PSG.

For some reason, Levy didn't rate AVB enough to back him and see something long term through, AVB sensed that and didn't want to fight to be somewhere he wasn't wanted. Not any one persons character flaw, more a misalignment in strategy between the respective parties. And I blame Levy and his associates for plunging us into this messy messy season.

**** me you really do not want to give any blame to avb do you, always trying to angle it to make him sound like the victim. Look mate i believed in Lance Armstrong once so i know what it is like to be let down(different ways i know) avb was just out of his depth nothing to do with anyone else. You need to get a grip buddy.

**** me you really do not want to give any blame to avb do you, always trying to angle it to make him sound like the victim. Look mate i believed in Lance Armstrong once so i know what it is like to be let down(different ways i know) avb was just out of his depth nothing to do with anyone else. You need to get a grip buddy.

I don't really believe in 'blame' at this level, when both people are extremely qualified and would be justified in their opinions either way, and when we don't know all the facts. I'm not saying I 'blame' AVB, and I'm not really saying I 'blame' Levy, other than I would have liked Levy to realise what I thought he had in AVB.

I said many times in AVBs case, as in Harry's case, if the club no longer backs him, it should be the end of the line. I've also said I like the cut of Sherwood's jib, his confidence in his own ability and the respect he has earned for how our youth teams have performed. But I don't particularly like the idea that AVB is some deeply flawed character that was out of his depth, it does him a disservice. And I just don't believe in 'blame' as if anything at this level and with such a myriad of factors is so easily attributable to black and white concepts such as that.

Fantastic business from Liverpool. Being run like a proper club now. I admire them for turning round the awful business they conducted with Kenny and Commoli, to now have some seriously quality players.

I completely think Liverpool are a fair example of showing patience. They finished 7th last year and let everyone get used to the methods, before keeping their best player and adding quality in Sturridge and Coutinho.

at 200K a week? Pool can manage due to size of their stadium and global merchandising, but wouldn't have been sustainable for us.

Honestly, just a couple of years ago Pool was in huge debt (which they lucked out of), can see it going back that way

Thought this sums up the feeling of Déjà vu that everyone has atm.

http://hotspurhq.com/2013/12/21/rem...ed&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot+Topics

Remember Tottenham 2008, Mr Levy – So What’s Changed?

Dec 21st, 2013 at 2:58 am by Alan Hill

I believe Daniel Levy and Joe Lewis really do have Tottenham Hotspur’s interests at heart and love the club. Even when most of us think they have got it right it has never quite come together though. Well, it did under Harry Redknapp but somehow the end there seemed inevitable after the end of season collapse and the England fiasco.

When Levy took the decision to sack Juande Ramos and his team in 2008. The continental director of football and coach approach had failed and we were bottom of the league. Daniel wrote an open Letter to Spurs fans explaining why he did it and why he had sacked them and said he thought the traditional style of English management was the way ahead for Spurs. After Harry’s departure, he employed Andre Villas-Boas and returned to the continental approach again with more success than last time points-wise but boring performances and intermittent thrashings this season. So AVB gets the sack at the start of the week.

If you read the following extracts from his letter in 2008, he could be describing the situation today. Just change the names and it is almost uncanny.

“How quickly things change in football. Our pre-season form, our start to the transfer window and early summer signings had everyone optimistic for the season ahead. The last few days of that window and our poor start to the season has seen all that change. This has been a difficult period for the Club and many questions are being asked and much criticism levelled. I should like to update you on some important developments announced a short while ago, to answer some of your questions and also to outline our thinking as we look to improve our current position going forward.

Today, as formally announced by the Club, I have made one such important judgement call and in doing so I have taken some very difficult decisions. Relieving Juande Ramos, our Head Coach, and Juande’s assistants, Gus Poyet and Marcos Alvarez, of their posts is not something I have undertaken lightly.

Unfortunately, our record of just three League wins since our memorable Carling Cup victory against Chelsea last February, combined with our extremely poor start to the season, led the Board and I to determine that significant change was necessary as a matter of urgency. We are grateful to Juande, Gus and Marcos for all their hard work – they are incredibly professional, committed individuals and I regret that their time in the Premier League has not gone as well as we had all hoped..

The English Premier League is an unforgiving competition – time was no longer on our side and was a luxury we simply could not afford. We have quite clearly not performed to the best of our ability for many months now and our poor run of form is not something we could allow to continue unchecked. In my opinion, and with the benefit that comes with running our Club with and without a Sporting Director in the past seven years, the successful management of a football club is not about structures or job titles. As in most businesses, it’s about people: their personal qualities, their knowledge, their experience, their relationships, communication skills, interaction with colleagues, leadership and, of course, their ability.

In Harry, we are also accepting with his appointment that now is the right time for us to move back to a more traditional style of football management at our Club, one which we believe will be capable of initiating our climb back up the Premier League table and to maintaining our challenge in the UEFA, Carling and FA Cup competitions. We have all been subjected to much criticism – myself, the Board, coaching staff and players – having now made what I considered to be necessary, sweeping changes to our football management team, we must re-assert ourselves, regain our focus, and answer our critics in the best way possible – by winning games again.

Secondly, we must prepare ourselves to take advantage of the January transfer window. Harry’s experience of the UK and international transfer market will be of critical importance and I shall be looking to Harry for clarity on our priorities. As Chairman, and as previously in our former structure, I must, ultimately, rely on the knowledge and judgement of my technical staff to give me a clear football-based view and recommendation on our transfer targets.

I can assure you that everyone here, from the Board to our most junior staff member, shares the frustration and disappointment of the season so far, but I can also assure you that all of us in every area of the Club are doing what we can to help the players to produce the level of performance and the consistent good results our fans expect and all of us crave.”…

The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust today requested a statement from Daniel Levy explaining AVB’s sacking and clearly stating his plans moving forward. They say that fans are frustrated and angry. Before he makes a decision on any reply it might pay Mr. Levy to look again at what he said in 2008. We seem to have come full circle.

Mr. Hoddle is waiting…

Thought this sums up the feeling of Déjà vu that everyone has atm.

http://hotspurhq.com/2013/12/21/rem...ed&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot+Topics

Remember Tottenham 2008, Mr Levy – So What’s Changed?

Dec 21st, 2013 at 2:58 am by Alan Hill

I believe Daniel Levy and Joe Lewis really do have Tottenham Hotspur’s interests at heart and love the club. Even when most of us think they have got it right it has never quite come together though. Well, it did under Harry Redknapp but somehow the end there seemed inevitable after the end of season collapse and the England fiasco.

When Levy took the decision to sack Juande Ramos and his team in 2008. The continental director of football and coach approach had failed and we were bottom of the league. Daniel wrote an open Letter to Spurs fans explaining why he did it and why he had sacked them and said he thought the traditional style of English management was the way ahead for Spurs. After Harry’s departure, he employed Andre Villas-Boas and returned to the continental approach again with more success than last time points-wise but boring performances and intermittent thrashings this season. So AVB gets the sack at the start of the week.

If you read the following extracts from his letter in 2008, he could be describing the situation today. Just change the names and it is almost uncanny.

“How quickly things change in football. Our pre-season form, our start to the transfer window and early summer signings had everyone optimistic for the season ahead. The last few days of that window and our poor start to the season has seen all that change. This has been a difficult period for the Club and many questions are being asked and much criticism levelled. I should like to update you on some important developments announced a short while ago, to answer some of your questions and also to outline our thinking as we look to improve our current position going forward.

Today, as formally announced by the Club, I have made one such important judgement call and in doing so I have taken some very difficult decisions. Relieving Juande Ramos, our Head Coach, and Juande’s assistants, Gus Poyet and Marcos Alvarez, of their posts is not something I have undertaken lightly.

Unfortunately, our record of just three League wins since our memorable Carling Cup victory against Chelsea last February, combined with our extremely poor start to the season, led the Board and I to determine that significant change was necessary as a matter of urgency. We are grateful to Juande, Gus and Marcos for all their hard work – they are incredibly professional, committed individuals and I regret that their time in the Premier League has not gone as well as we had all hoped..

The English Premier League is an unforgiving competition – time was no longer on our side and was a luxury we simply could not afford. We have quite clearly not performed to the best of our ability for many months now and our poor run of form is not something we could allow to continue unchecked. In my opinion, and with the benefit that comes with running our Club with and without a Sporting Director in the past seven years, the successful management of a football club is not about structures or job titles. As in most businesses, it’s about people: their personal qualities, their knowledge, their experience, their relationships, communication skills, interaction with colleagues, leadership and, of course, their ability.

In Harry, we are also accepting with his appointment that now is the right time for us to move back to a more traditional style of football management at our Club, one which we believe will be capable of initiating our climb back up the Premier League table and to maintaining our challenge in the UEFA, Carling and FA Cup competitions. We have all been subjected to much criticism – myself, the Board, coaching staff and players – having now made what I considered to be necessary, sweeping changes to our football management team, we must re-assert ourselves, regain our focus, and answer our critics in the best way possible – by winning games again.

Secondly, we must prepare ourselves to take advantage of the January transfer window. Harry’s experience of the UK and international transfer market will be of critical importance and I shall be looking to Harry for clarity on our priorities. As Chairman, and as previously in our former structure, I must, ultimately, rely on the knowledge and judgement of my technical staff to give me a clear football-based view and recommendation on our transfer targets.

I can assure you that everyone here, from the Board to our most junior staff member, shares the frustration and disappointment of the season so far, but I can also assure you that all of us in every area of the Club are doing what we can to help the players to produce the level of performance and the consistent good results our fans expect and all of us crave.”…

The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust today requested a statement from Daniel Levy explaining AVB’s sacking and clearly stating his plans moving forward. They say that fans are frustrated and angry. Before he makes a decision on any reply it might pay Mr. Levy to look again at what he said in 2008. We seem to have come full circle.

Mr. Hoddle is waiting…

Will be interesting to hear Levy's response, if he chooses to respond that is.

I agree. Get him in and lets have some stability over the Xmas period ( a vital time of the season ) and see how he gets on until the end of the season. He is available and a legend.

I'm sorry but some people are in Dreamland if they think Hoddle will ask how high when we say jump, especially when considering the history between him and Levy. People are talking as if he is sitting there waiting and the whole process is as easy as going down to Waitrose on a Sunday morning. I think Hoddle will quite rightly demand a bit more respect than that this time around and it isnt a given he will be happy as a caretaker, it is far from a done deal for anybody to come here, and it isn't a case of picking a manager off a shelf as a lot of people seem to think.

Back