• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup 5th Round - home to Palace

Priceless! I was at the semi final. Probably my main personal moment of glory!

I remember how I felt at half time, Gazza had been stretchered off, Lineker had missed a penalty and Paul Stewart had had a goal disallowed. I was gutted, but I had to keep on believing, as you say nowadays #NeverGiveUp

We played a weakened team last year. Vorm, Capoue, Soldado, Chiriches, Paulinho. Verts might have been injured, can't remember. Brought on Adebayor. Left Eriksen and Kane on the bench too long. And that howler from Vorm at the end to completely blow the cup tie!

I've always loved the FA Cup, such a shame to see it slide way down the priority list.

For me it's now so much lower priority than when I was a kid 25-30 years ago

I remember how I felt at half time, Gazza had been stretchered off, Lineker had missed a penalty and Paul Stewart had had a goal disallowed. I was gutted, but I had to keep on believing, as you say nowadays #NeverGiveUp

IIRC, it was Lineker who had a valid goal harshly ruled out for offside. We really enjoy making it hard for ouselves, don't we. We had our best player carried off injured, conceded the goal via the freekick, Lineker missed a penalty and then had a goal ruled offside but still won the Final via an own goal ! It was really sweet when we lifted the Cup. Wish we can win the FA Cup again. IMO, winning the Cups are much more enjoyable than finishing in 4th and qualifying for the CL which we can only dream about winning it.

We have a poor record against Leicester in the FA Cup in recent years. We have lost 3 out of 4 matches against Leicester in FA Cup : 0-1(away/Round 3) in 1974, 2-3(away/Round 3) in 2006 and 1-2 (home/Round 4) last season. But we did beat them 2-0 in the 1982 semi final, 2-0 in 1961 FA Cup Final and 1-0 in 1999 Worth.Cup Final. With them having a good season, can see thing being a tough match for us.

That is probably the best confirmed fixture though Tbf. Although, 1st v 5th in the prem would usually get a few more mentions!

IIRC, it was Lineker who had a valid goal harshly ruled out for offside. We really enjoy making it hard for ouselves, don't we. We had our best player carried off injured, conceded the goal via the freekick, Lineker missed a penalty and then had a goal ruled offside but still won the Final via an own goal ! It was really sweet when we lifted the Cup. Wish we can win the FA Cup again. IMO, winning the Cups are much more enjoyable than finishing in 4th and qualifying for the CL which we can only dream about winning it.

Of course you are right. In my mind's eye I can still remember Paul Stewart celebrating a goal but of course that was not him celebrating the disallowed goal, he was of course celebrating the equalising goal :)

isn't it funny how often that happens

ipods/mp3 players have their shuffle function tweaked to not truly be random as truly random systems do not seem instinctively random to human beings.

Not seen actual numbers, but I imagine the funny thing is that this sort of draw happens exactly as often as one would expect it to.

----------------------------

I don't mind a tough draw at home in the cup. Makes for more of an occasion and often a better game. Would much rather have Leicester at home than WBA or someone like that away.

Never forget.....

Sat January 16th Wimbledon (H) 0-0
32,422 11
Sat January 23rd Wimbledon (A)FAC4 1-1 Ginola 22,229 Cup Match
Wed January 27th Wimbledon (H)WC SF 1st leg 0-0
35,997 Cup Match
Sat January 30th Blackburn (A) 1-1 Iversen 29,643 11
Tues February 2nd Wimbledon (H)FA Cup 4th Rd replay 3-0 Sinton, Nielsen (2) 24,049 Cup Match
Sat February 6th Coventry (H) 0-0
34,376 11
Sat February 13th Leeds (A) FA Cup 5th Rd 1-1 Sherwood 39,696 Cup Match
Tues February 16th Wimbledon (A) WC SF 2nd leg 1-0 Iversen 25,204 Cup Match

The FA cup is a bit of fun and not a lot else.

Spoke to a couple of Arsenal fans who did not find the winning of the thing of much importance, simular to the Community shield in their eyes and I tend to agree.

In European football the cup games are almost a hindrance, we have more than enough football.

Last edited:
Others might disagree but, whilst its a tough draw, I'd still only play half our first team in the FAC. We have enough depth - we can change the full backs, Wimmer, bring someone like Mason or Bentaleb, perhaps Pritchard or Chadli if they're back and Njie. Would still be a strong team but would make use of our squad

No wonder we never win anything with that attitude.

FA cup was great back in the day @parklane1 70's 80's

But it's just pure nostalgia now for us oldens.

1991 was a long time ago - 24 years! christ I'm old

Ill never forget the semifinal........

It still has the magic for me, I have been lucky enough to have been at Wembley in 67, 81,82, 87 :( and 91 and it was magic and I will never forget them days. I would rather have another day like it then finish among the losers again ( top four).

But Stop! Hammer time.

Never forget.....

Sat January 16th Wimbledon (H) 0-0
32,422 11
Sat January 23rd Wimbledon (A)FAC4 1-1 Ginola 22,229 Cup Match
Wed January 27th Wimbledon (H)WC SF 1st leg 0-0
35,997 Cup Match
Sat January 30th Blackburn (A) 1-1 Iversen 29,643 11
Tues February 2nd Wimbledon (H)FA Cup 4th Rd replay 3-0 Sinton, Nielsen (2) 24,049 Cup Match
Sat February 6th Coventry (H) 0-0
34,376 11
Sat February 13th Leeds (A) FA Cup 5th Rd 1-1 Sherwood 39,696 Cup Match
Tues February 16th Wimbledon (A) WC SF 2nd leg 1-0 Iversen 25,204 Cup Match

I went to all those Wimbledon games :D

There was something similar with Bolton one year as well iirc

It still has the magic for me, I have been lucky enough to have been at Wembley in 67, 81,82, 87 :( and 91 and it was magic and I will never forget them days. I would rather have another day like it then finish among the losers again ( top four).

But Stop! Hammer time.

I agree those were magical time. They were from a different football environment when the FA Cup and Title were not so far apart in terms of importance. Some would argue that back then the FA cup was a important as any league title and the European competitions were in some ways detached from the fans priorities until the mid nineties.

I dont think the cups have retained their importance purely because of the amount of TV coverage. Since Friday I could have watched 9! live games (I actually watched 6 + U21s last) Back in 91' it was the semi, final and MOTD in a whole year with a couple of league cup nights.

Some would say it just too much football. But I loves saturday evening when Bournemouth got one over the chaves and when Saudi Sportswashing Machine scored I was over the moon. I love football and sadly my WHL days are very few now due to lousy wheelchair viewing area. Mind I would love to get a wembley final tickets.
But times and footballs priorities have changed and it a far more global game. I think Spurs will be playing EPL game in the Far East and America within 10 years.

Back