• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** FA Cup 4th Round - Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project **

@tommysvr @90291Spur @Surfless and others, I want to apologise for my conduct in this thread after the game.

I'd indulged in far too many post-work Friday drinks and acted a complete tit... No real excuse, but there you go.

Ultimately this is all I need today:

"But I've said before that can't chart my course of what I want to build here. I want to build a team that brings success and challenges for trophies every year, because while one trophy will satisfy that thirst, which I understand, if the following year we struggle and fall back to mediocrity then it will quickly get forgotten and that's not what this club is about.

My goal when I was brought in was to take this club to be a club which competes for honours every year and that's what I'm focused on. This game is part of that process obviously, but I'm under no illusions of what bringing a trophy to this club means to the supporters, I understand that, but my objective within that is to give them that joy on a regular basis and not just as a one-off."

How can you not be on board with such sentiments? Onwards and upwards, let's go again on Wednesday.
I only read some of your posts on the way home from the game, having stayed back a while, so not contemporaneous to your actual postings. But they jarred because they seemed a bit out of kilter with your usual tone. But the match thread is all about immediate reactions, which can be a bit hyperbolic.
Given your post above, it's a case of what's said in the match thread, stays in the match thread. We all have a tendency to overact at at times, and anyone who says they don't -well, I can't believe they are actually watching the matches.

@tommysvr @90291Spur @Surfless and others, I want to apologise for my conduct in this thread after the game.

I'd indulged in far too many post-work Friday drinks and acted a complete tit... No real excuse, but there you go.

"But I've said before that can't chart my course of what I want to build here. I want to build a team that brings success and challenges for trophies every year, because while one trophy will satisfy that thirst, which I understand, if the following year we struggle and fall back to mediocrity then it will quickly get forgotten and that's not what this club is about.

My goal when I was brought in was to take this club to be a club which competes for honours every year and that's what I'm focused on. This game is part of that process obviously, but I'm under no illusions of what bringing a trophy to this club means to the supporters, I understand that, but my objective within that is to give them that joy on a regular basis and not just as a one-off."

How can you not be on board with such sentiments? Onwards and upwards, let's go again on Wednesday.
Fair play we've all done it. All good. Coys!

Didn’t one of those two get the assist for the goal?

City’s football looks amazing but it’s fudging blunt imo

For a team who plays great football their end product is poor

You spend a £B and have one true goal scorer. That’s not great IMO

You know what I meant though. KDB started on the bench.

I think we did as much to restrict our shots as they did, we kept fudging up the key pass, through inaccuracy or indecision.

I don’t think there’s any debate that they were the better team and created the best opportunities. Albeit we gifted them a couple of chances.

Think our press was off tonight, we seldom got it going and when we did we caused them problems.
I think they are just too good at passing through the press. And Ortega's distribution was the best I've seen from a goalkeeper in a long time.

I think they are just too good at passing through the press. And Ortega's distribution was the best I've seen from a goalkeeper in a long time.
Yes the keeper impressed me, not just with the technique but the intelligence of his passes.

All good, no need to apologise. We’ve all been there!

Also a fair point but let’s not pretend they had their best 11 out either and they still restricted us to 1 shot on goal in 90 minutes.
This is true. And part of where we are compared to them. They have players at a higher level and better suited to the system coming in when key starters are out.

I also think that makes us more vulnerable to the kind of performance we saw against City. We didn't find a way to raise our game, as we've seen us do with Maddison for example before. Players like Bentancur and Kulusevski are capable of that, but not enough of them on the pitch to make it happen.

At our best we're really good. Even with some players missing. When not quite at our best we're second best against a team like City, even with them being without starters too.

Bentancur was poor tonight. Had several chances to play a quick through ball but held on too long.
In saying that, I thought Kulu and Johnson offered nothing.
Johnson is so incredibly frustrating to watch. No anticipation, seemingly no desire, just seems to jog around.
Thought Bentancur was quite good personally. Didn't find the right key pass a couple of times, true for most our players. We needed a bit more quality overall in midfield and the front three to deal with their very good press. More a lack of another quality ball player rather than the game from Bentancur imo.

Kulusevski is good in the centre when he gets a bit of space. He didn't against them and struggled. I think it's more a weakness in his game than a poor performance.

Johnson is the same as he's been all season. Must be released with good service to be really useful.

Balance in the team wasn't right with the players missing. Particularly against a top team like City.

Thought Bentancur was quite good personally. Didn't find the right key pass a couple of times, true for most our players. We needed a bit more quality overall in midfield and the front three to deal with their very good press. More a lack of another quality ball player rather than the game from Bentancur imo.

Kulusevski is good in the centre when he gets a bit of space. He didn't against them and struggled. I think it's more a weakness in his game than a poor performance.

Johnson is the same as he's been all season. Must be released with good service to be really useful.

Balance in the team wasn't right with the players missing. Particularly against a top team like City.

Definitely missed Sarr his energy and enthusiasm are a big part in our success.

This is true. And part of where we are compared to them. They have players at a higher level and better suited to the system coming in when key starters are out.

I also think that makes us more vulnerable to the kind of performance we saw against City. We didn't find a way to raise our game, as we've seen us do with Maddison for example before. Players like Bentancur and Kulusevski are capable of that, but not enough of them on the pitch to make it happen.

At our best we're really good. Even with some players missing. When not quite at our best we're second best against a team like City, even with them being without starters too.

Yes and I completely accept Emirates Marketing Project have had their manager and team in place for 6-7 years give or take a few upgrades in recent seasons. That said, I was still expecting us to trouble their defence and keeper more than we did. I wasn’t expecting a win, I thought it would be a similar game to the CL game in 2019 and we could maybe nick a 1-0 if we defended well in key moments and took our chances when they presented themselves at the other end. It was just frustrating to see VDV and Romero play out from the back well even though Pep did his homework and got his team to press us only for the midfield and attack to keep losing possession. The most frustrating moment was when Johnson had some space to run into only to turn round and run the other way. He looks like he’s playing within himself and is afraid to put himself about.

Yes and I completely accept Emirates Marketing Project have had their manager and team in place for 6-7 years give or take a few upgrades in recent seasons. That said, I was still expecting us to trouble their defence and keeper more than we did. I wasn’t expecting a win, I thought it would be a similar game to the CL game in 2019 and we could maybe nick a 1-0 if we defended well in key moments and took our chances when they presented themselves at the other end. It was just frustrating to see VDV and Romero play out from the back well even though Pep did his homework and got his team to press us only for the midfield and attack to keep losing possession. The most frustrating moment was when Johnson had some space to run into only to turn round and run the other way. He looks like he’s playing within himself and is afraid to put himself about.
Surely the most frustrating points must have been when kulu got the ball and then run into their players… three times… instead of playing a sensible pass down the line

The most frustrating moment was when Johnson had some space to run into only to turn round and run the other way. He looks like he’s playing within himself and is afraid to put himself about.

Surely the most frustrating points must have been when kulu got the ball and then run into their players… three times… instead of playing a sensible pass down the line

The whole point of having sprinters in the front 3 is to release them to sprint onto through-balls.
The tactic should have been simply: If at any point you can slide a ball between either full-back and their centre-back, do so.
Don't worry about whether Werner and Johnson are ready, just DO IT and see what happens.
IF they aren't ready, that is their fault, but just DO IT. Slide the pass into the space and see if they can get there.
It's not your job to double check and double back and double think, just slide it into the space.

Back