• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ex-managers: I'm pining for the past and cannot move on

Which Ex-Manager?

• Martin Jol

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Juande Ramos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Andre Villas Boas

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
Re: So, the big elephant in the room...

The same redknapp who said I need to sign quality players to prove to modric we're going forward or else we may as well sell him. Yeah that redknapp there. The same redknapp who said publically in December 2011 about signing quality proven players to push on after an excellent start and was given Saha and Ryan Nelsen.

Quite right. GIVEN Saha and Nelsen. **** transfer policy with the manager not being in control of who they want to buy. Same now. Levy and Baldini should either give the manager the funds and ability to sign and be responsible for their own players or they should just **** right off

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

As Harry himself said, the game is about players. He had Modric, Bale, VdV, King and the likes of Kaboul, Adebayor, Lennon and BAE provided very good support to the star players.

Now, we don't even have anyone at the level of Ade, Lennon, Kaboul and BAE of that particular season (all those players have regressed a fair bit from that level). We're an average to poor side across all areas except for keeper. I don't think Poch is doing a very good job right now, but I don't think we have a top 4 squad.

However, last season, we did finish 6th and Sherwood got a very respectable points-per-game figure. Poch can be given enough slack to fall short of that in his first season (although Sherwood was given no slack), but questions must be asked if we fall way short of that.

Quite right. GIVEN Saha and Nelsen. **** transfer policy with the manager not being in control of who they want to buy. Same now. Levy and Baldini should either give the manager the funds and ability to sign and be responsible for their own players or they should just **** right off

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

I would support certain financial constraints, such as you can only spend x amount on a player unless he is young so there is the possibility of making some money back if the transfer does not work out.

Same thing with wages we can spend, a manager should work within set rules, also I do not mind having a chap employed with the sole purpose of then negotiating the transfers you could even call him the director of football if you wanted. But yep final say on players comes down to the manager.

As Harry himself said, the game is about players. He had Modric, Bale, VdV, King and the likes of Kaboul, Adebayor, Lennon and BAE provided very good support to the star players.

Now, we don't even have anyone at the level of Ade, Lennon, Kaboul and BAE of that particular season (all those players have regressed a fair bit from that level). We're an average to poor side across all areas except for keeper. I don't think Poch is doing a very good job right now, but I don't think we have a top 4 squad.

However, last season, we did finish 6th and Sherwood got a very respectable points-per-game figure. Poch can be given enough slack to fall short of that in his first season (although Sherwood was given no slack), but questions must be asked if we fall way short of that.

Sherwood was common and spoke in a working class accent(similar to my own) therefore he was scum and a lot on here would never accept him. Also he said our players lacked heart and clearly this season he has been proven wrong on that:D

It might have been the elephant in the room two and a half years ago. But now? Isn't it long past time that we moved on?

Sherwood was common and spoke in a working class accent(similar to my own) therefore he was scum and a lot on here would never accept him. Also he said our players lacked heart and clearly this season he has been proven wrong on that:D

:lol: I have to laugh else I will cry!

He had the best team we've had in a generation playing as less than the sum of their parts.

I dread to think what would happen if he had this bunch of losers (plus the obligatory Chimbonda) to manage.

Is this the same Redknapp who could only get QPR out of the championship via the play-offs despite them massively outspending everyone else in the league?

He had the best team we've had in a generation playing as less than the sum of their parts.

I dread to think what would happen if he had this bunch of losers (plus the obligatory Chimbonda) to manage.

Well now, give him a bit of credit -- he took players who were providing relegation form under Ramos up to 8th place, and got his first 4th placed finish with Crouch leading the line.

The 2nd 4th place was an under-achievement given how far ahead of the gooners we were at 1 point, but he wasn't given the backing when it came to squad players (Saha, Nelsen) -- if he was, then maybe he'd have done better.

I know 1 thing -- he'd have spent the Bale money on better players than the lumps of sh1t we bought in.

Well now, give him a bit of credit -- he took players who were providing relegation form under Ramos up to 8th place, and got his first 4th placed finish with Crouch leading the line.

The 2nd 4th place was an under-achievement given how far ahead of the gooners we were at 1 point, but he wasn't given the backing when it came to squad players (Saha, Nelsen) -- if he was, then maybe he'd have done better.

I know 1 thing -- he'd have spent the Bale money on better players than the lumps of sh1t we bought in.
He'd have spent it on whoever is on Willie Mackay's books at the moment. The older and more highly paid, the better (more agent fees that way).

It's pretty futile discussing whether or not it was the right decision, not least because nothing can change. Mainly because it wasn't purely a sporting decision, something went on between Levy and Redknapp and I think that won't ever be made public. No one on this forum knows for definite what the reason for the dismissal was, and we can only speculate as to why it happened.

Unquestionably the right decision at the time for me. It's the fuсk-ups since that've been the problem. We're like a raging drunk stumbling around in a china shop.

No but I can't be bothered to explain why. Every club in the league with the exception of United feared us when he was our manager.

Save your breath. Scara and Jordinho will never give him credit for anything that he or the team achieved during his 3 and half years at the club. It's conveniently forgotten that he tried to sign Remy for example because it doesn't fit into the tired narrative of him "only wanting to sign Joe Cole and Phil Neville".

Save your breath. Scara and Jordinho will never give him credit for anything that he or the team achieved during his 3 and half years at the club. It's conveniently forgotten that he tried to sign Remy for example because it doesn't fit into the tired narrative of him "only wanting to sign Joe Cole and Phil Neville".

Are these straw man arguments all you can come up with?

I had no problem with Redknapp, the manager, for about 80-90% of his time with us. Redknapp, the media personality, is a **** of the highest order and he engineered his own demise.

Is this the same Redknapp who could only get QPR out of the championship via the play-offs despite them massively outspending everyone else in the league?

What does that have to do with what he achieved at Spurs? Just because he did a poor job last season with another club doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't be better than we are now. Just to be clear, I wouldn't have him back now as he and Levy would butt heads too often so it would be pointless, but in an alternate world we Enic were not part of our club, I'd go for it in a shot.

Are these straw man arguments all you can come up with?

I had no problem with Redknapp, the manager, for about 80-90% of his time with us. Redknapp, the media personality, is a **** of the highest order and he engineered his own demise.

No more straw man than people giving him no credit at all and giving it all to Levy or Commolli as some like to do.

Another criticism that is always levelled at him, he only signs old/experienced players with no sell on value, I forgot that Walker, Naughton, Palacios, Krancjar and Pienaar were all pushing 40 when we signed them.

I never deny that he shoot himself in the foot both with his comments and with our decline in form, but why is it so hard for some to acknowledge that he wasn't backed in two successive January transfer windows when we were on the cusp of having great seasons? I realise he got backed heavily when he took over, but as Emirates Marketing Project found out the season after they won the league, you have keep spending to maintain your position, or have an unbelievable scouting system. Instead he was given Nelsen and Saha. That's just pathetic! I cannot imagine he would have still bought those two if he had been given more money. And before you say it, I'm not talking about hundreds of millions, but more than he was given.

Sherwood got more stick than any Spurs player or manager I can remember, and yet the man who gave him the job escapes blame for hiring him the first place.

Back