• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Just when you thought football had reached its lowest point - this brick. fudge sake.

Understand the view point, and personally I wouldnt have wanted this to happen.

However given that it is happening, or certainly something will come of it even if there is a negotiated compromise with UEFA etc, I much prefer Spurs being included in it and having a seat at the table than being excluded

There are plenty of clubs ready and willing to supplant the elite clubs. That’s the whole point of open competition and why these clubs have decided to opt out of it.

So then give Everton multiple national and European titles and hey presto, they are the biggest club in England.

But the best players will be in the ESL, not in the PL, CL, World Cup, Maddison won’t care that he can’t play for England or for Everton against Osteruund in a European cup final at Milton Keynes hockey stadium.

But the best players will be in the ESL, not in the PL, CL, World Cup, Maddison won’t care that he can’t play for England or for Everton against Osteruund in a European cup final at Milton Keynes hockey stadium.

You don’t see how easily that competition and the clubs inside it could become an irrelevance. That there is a massive resistance to this and clubs (edit such as Everton) that are gifted an unbelievable opportunity to move forward.

Understand the view point, and personally I wouldnt have wanted this to happen.

However given that it is happening, or certainly something will come of it even if there is a negotiated compromise with UEFA etc, I much prefer Spurs being included in it and having a seat at the table than being excluded

I don't know, man. I'm generally quite progressive, but not when it comes to football and how it's structured. If we break away from the Premier League we're quite literally removing ourselves from over 130 years of our history moving into some new soulless brick for the company to make money. We've been a business for a long time, but you still have that club feeling - but with this brick, what's left? I'm just not buying it. If we break out of the domestic league - then to hell with it. I don't know what I'll do. It just seems so cartoony and weird and soul less. fudge this brick.

You don’t see how easily that competition and the clubs inside it could become an irrelevance. That there is a massive resistance to this and clubs that are gifted an unbelievable opportunity to move forward.

It will all depend on where the best players are.

Everton might well win loads of league titles, but they would be considered second tier trophies.

I think it can be likened to the split in darts, the formation of the PDC, not everyone moved over, but the big 4 did, they went for the money in the PDC and cleaned up. The BDO kept some big names and still held their own world championship, but it was clearly an inferior product and quickly became a feeder league to the real game.

I don't know, man. I'm generally quite progressive, but not when it comes to football and how it's structured. If we break away from the Premier League we're quite non-figuratively removing ourselves from over 130 years of our history moving into some new soulless brick for the company to make money. We've been a business for a long time, but you still have that club feeling - but with this brick, what's left? I'm just not buying it. If we break out of the domestic league - then to hell with it. I don't know what I'll do. It just seems so cartoony and weird and soul less. fudge this brick.

I get what you're saying, but would we opt out? Assume we lose our best half dozen players to ESL teams and replace them with players of Dier, Winks etc standard. I just dont see that Levy would chose that.

I'm not even sure that we could opt out. If the financials for the remaining teams is a lot worse as would seem to be the case, we'd be bankrupt. We wouldnt have a hope of repaying the debt burden

Anyway, I think there will be a negotiated outcome rather than break-away. Lets see what the next few weeks brings

I get what you're saying, but would we opt out? Assume we lose our best half dozen players to ESL teams and replace them with players of Dier, Winks etc standard. I just dont see that Levy would chose that.

I'm not even sure that we could opt out. If the financials for the remaining teams is a lot worse as would seem to be the case, we'd be bankrupt. We wouldnt have a hope of repaying the debt burden

Anyway, I think there will be a negotiated outcome rather than break-away. Lets see what the next few weeks brings

Good point on the debt repayment.

It would be a waste of the stadium to not have top tier football in too.

Honestly - and I know this sounds ridiculous - but I'd rather us get relegated and stay in England than join this fudging freakshow.

No more domestic matches - the heart and soul of football. I can't deal with that. Champions League has always been something extra, something added to what really matters. And now we're going out? fudging hell.

So, we're gonna play 22 league games a season, and no cup matches? Against the same fudging teams every year. Are we gonna have an American style playoff best of 7 matches series? Jesus.

I really hate this. I hope it's just a bad dream and that UEFA or someone just shuts this brick down one way or the other. Ugh.

It will all depend on where the best players are.

Everton might well win loads of league titles, but they would be considered second tier trophies.

I think it can be likened to the split in darts, the formation of the PDC, not everyone moved over, but the big 4 did, they went for the money in the PDC and cleaned up. The BDO kept some big names and still held their own world championship, but it was clearly an inferior product and quickly became a feeder league to the real game.

But Football is nothing like Darts. You need a structure like the pyramid to generate players, ideas and culture.

The ESL clubs will be OUTSIDE of all of that despite their dependence upon it. No culture, no nourishment reduced inventiveness and a one way ticket to sterility.

The endgame for this has always been to get more guaranteed money for these so called "elite" clubs, from UEFA or the domestic leagues or both. I think the only real outcome here in terms of an actual competition being formed is one that will compete with the Champions League with all teams remaining in their domestic leagues. What happens with the LC/FA Cup is another matter.

It's all gonad*s.

Honestly - and I know this sounds ridiculous - but I'd rather us get relegated and stay in England than join this fudging freakshow.

No more domestic matches - the heart and soul of football. I can't deal with that. Champions League has always been something extra, something added to what really matters. And now we're going out? fudging hell.

So, we're gonna play 22 league games a season, and no cup matches? Against the same fudging teams every year. Are we gonna have an American style playoff best of 7 matches series? Jesus.

I really hate Derp I hope it's just a bad dream and that UEFA or someone just shuts this brick down one way or the other. Ugh.

I dont think it'll end up there though.

I think there will be a negotiated outcome - some domestic leagues aren't credible without the big teams. Clubs would go under. La Liga would be finished as a professional game.

I think we'll end up with the ESL happening during the week, domestic leagues at weekend etc. As Dubspur said earlier, maybe uefa coefficients are used as entry criteria so that it isnt a closed shop?

UEFA have been inept, as always, in this matter and could have sorted something out way before now

But Football is nothing like Darts. You need a structure like the pyramid to generate players, ideas and culture.

The ESL clubs will be OUTSIDE of all of that despite their dependence upon it. No culture, no nourishment reduced inventiveness and a one way ticket to sterility.

It’s exactly like darts, there is almost an identical pyramid.

Most of it still run by the BDO, a development series before you go pro.

I dont think it'll end up there though.

I think there will be a negotiated outcome - some domestic leagues aren't credible without the big teams. Clubs would go under. La Liga would be finished as a professional game.

I think we'll end up with the ESL happening during the week, domestic leagues at weekend etc. As Dubspur said earlier, maybe uefa coefficients are used as entry criteria so that it isnt a closed shop?

UEFA have been inept, as always, in this matter and could have sorted something out way before now

Adam. Big is relative. There will be big teams, but they will be different big teams to those we currently have.

Back