• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

So serious question for some people

- What makes CL (another rebranded, commercial piece of brick) so much more legitimate than Superleague? to the point where you are questioning Spurs participation or your support?

Am I the only one that sees only upside?

- My club is taken care of for the next 23 years financially
- I get home and away games against Europe's elite (no more unknown sides in the middle of nowhere)

What is the protest? some kind of sense of integrity (with FA/PL/UEFA/CL?)? you think West Ham/Everton/Burnley would sacrifice a dollar of potential revenue for the betterment of Spurs? yet you expect our owners to do something for the league/pyramid?

The arguments seem quite pretentious honestly but open to a discussion

Automatic qualifcation regardless and likely devaluing of PL are the issues I have.

That would be great.

And as you point out, this barely moves the needle.

I might have jumped the gun as the media are all calling it the ESL, but the official statement they put out definitely only called it “the Super League”. Must be intentional.

If UEFA had valued the other European competitions properly this could have been avoided. The old Champions League/UEFA/Cup Winners Cup model with better prize money and potential to earn entrance into the Champions League etc. They made football all about the Champions League and clubs now fearing not qualifying for it have taken it further and made it a closed shop.

I'm against it, but find it interesting that all the institutions, Sky, PL, FIFA and UEFA are at no point admitting that they are a part of what has caused this. Sky the other day were trying to charge £20 for bottom of the table match tickets, and the PL wanted a 39th game abroad. Why is there still no season passes for individual teams so I can just watch the games I want etc

FIFA and UEFA are incompetent at best and corrupt at worst. World Cup in the Middle East for the good of the game etc

The Palace chairman was banging on the other day how Championship clubs shouldn't be helped out financially by the Premiership, like Palace ain't a yo-yo club themselves.

So serious question for some people

- What makes CL (another rebranded, commercial piece of brick) so much more legitimate than Superleague? to the point where you are questioning Spurs participation or your support?

Am I the only one that sees only upside?

- My club is taken care of for the next 23 years financially
- I get home and away games against Europe's elite (no more unknown sides in the middle of nowhere)

What is the protest? some kind of sense of integrity (with FA/PL/UEFA/CL?)? you think West Ham/Everton/Burnley would sacrifice a dollar of potential revenue for the betterment of Spurs? yet you expect our owners to do something for the league/pyramid?

The arguments seem quite pretentious honestly but open to a discussion

A lot of people either are old enough to have grown up with the old European Cup, Division 1 model.
Or they only got into football after the middle-class-ification of the sport.

The new UEFA Swiss model for the Champions League announced today reduces the group stage to a pre season borefest.
The Super League, unfair as it is, will at least be watchable. The 50% salary cap is interesting.

The biggest change in football in my lifetime that effected me was going from being able to watch division 1 games live on ITV to only being able to watch Serie A on channel 4. That on the Premier League and Sky. I could probably afford Sky now but I refuse to give them money as they took football away from me as a child.

If this thing goes ahead well at least we're not left outside with Arsenal inside.

But I don't see this as the line in the sand moment. Maybe for the younger generation. I'm used to this brick from the club.

hahaha, the fans are going to do something? the same supporters who aren't even in the stadium right now ..

fudge me, the delusion ..

It might be delusion to think it can be changed but fans shouldn’t be talking down fans right now.
However, the Trust has a decision to make. Challenge the whole concept from a principle standpoint or start now to challenge the club to look after the fans from a ticketing perspective in this new world. I understand they will want to do the former but to protect the interests of their members they should be doing the latter.

ISky the other day were trying to charge £20 for bottom of the table match tickets, and the PL wanted a 39th game abroad. Why is there still no season passes for individual teams so I can just watch the games I want etc

Yup. Sky and the PL (happily aided by the Government) continually screw football fans by not providing reasonably priced access to matches, as well as changing KO times. The only reason we don’t have a season pass is they are worried it might break the existing gravy train — so seeing them panic at a bigger golden goose elsewhere is amusing I must admit.

Heard Miguel Delaney say on a podcast that the rumours are the Super League TV rights might be all streaming and Google would be behind it.

So the chairman of the other 14 PL Clubs have 2 options as I see it.

1. Accept it’s happening and go along with it
2. Try and get the league to kick them out the league costing themselves hundreds of millions.

It might be delusion to think it can be changed but fans shouldn’t be talking down fans right now.
However, the Trust has a decision to make. Challenge the whole concept from a principle standpoint or start now to challenge the club to look after the fans from a ticketing perspective in this new world. I understand they will want to do the former but to protect the interests of their members they should be doing the latter.

I'm still not getting the principle?

One commercial/overbranded competition that does nothing for us as a club vs. another commercial/overbranded one that protects us?

The trust/supporters want to protect UEFA and the FA? (the same FA that has repeatedly not helped us, especially with the stadium?), is that principle?

Notice the official title is the “Super League” (no mention of Europe). Can see top Asian, US and/or South American teams having occasional entrants.

How does that work with travel schedules? Unless they come over here for a couple months and play a bunch of away games in a row

So the chairman of the other 14 PL Clubs have 2 options as I see it.

1. Accept it’s happening and go along with it
2. Try and get the league to kick them out the league costing themselves hundreds of millions.

exactly. Under 2, clubs go bankrupt. The PL and UEFA have no/few cards to play

I think till the German/French clubs are in they still have a chance.

THat might tip things over, agreed. But who else are the 3 unnamed teams? Ajax? Porto and Benfica?

I think PSG and the German teams will look at this and, like me with Spurs, think you're better off being in and holding your nose than outside and suffering

Back