• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

If that were true then I think Celtic would be in there instead of us.

I suspect, given time, they could well be invited. I'm not sure how big their profile is in the far east but obviously they have a fairly big north American fanbase

I imagine the league would be exciting for a couple of seasons and then would quickly get boring when it's the same thing again and again.
The Scottish Premiership comprises just 12 clubs but pre-lockdown Rangers and Celtic continued to fill their 50k/60k stadiums week-in, week-out despite playing minnows like Ross County and Hamilton Academical three/four times a season.

Will it though? Are we 400% sure of that? Isn't this just a step towards an Americanized version of the NFL/NBA/NHL where you have 30 teams playing one another over and over every goddamned season?
Does that mean that its an NFL team or nothing if you want to watch American Football in the US? Consider the PL as being the elite universities.

Does that mean that its an NFL team or nothing if you want to watch American Football in the US? Consider the PL as being the elite universities.

I just like the traditions of the English game (which sounds ironic coming from a Norwegian, I know) - local derbies, going to beat up cities to play fudging Hull and Burnley, people giving a brick in the stands. This will potentially just water everything down to foam fingers and basically zero atmosphere at the matches. It's going to be weird.

Honestly, the Champions League isn't that important to me - but if we lose the Premier League ... fudge me, then what do we do.

We won’t lose the premier league. This super league is to replace the Champions league. Do you really think the FA can lose all of their top teams? I mean who is going to pay to see a top of the table clash between Brighton and Norwich?

We won’t lose the premier league. This super league is to replace the Champions league. Do you really think the FA can lose all of their top teams? I mean who is going to pay to see a top of the table clash between Brighton and Norwich?

I sure hope we won't! I guess I'm just confused as to what will happen. There has been talk of the six teams being kicked out of the PL, or even wanting to move out of it at some point - but who knows at this point.

Yeh no chance, the dive in money from TV etc form just losing Liverpool and Utd alone would be insane.

I just don’t get it, for years people have been moaning about Uefa and how corrupt they are and now someone wants to step upto them and put them in their place everyone is crying.

This is no different from being the top guy at work knowing you cannot be replaced, handing in your notice to get what you want.

Not against a league so much more that there's no relegation and with it being governed by themselves it will inevitably lead to:
  • Matches taking place at weekends
  • Matches moving around the world
  • Increased Sky/BT subscriptions
  • Poorer PL - no incentive to play well or even the best team when you're guaranteed entry anyway
  • Higher ticket prices
For me football is all about the league and banter with mates and at work over games etc, if that's gone then I'd probably slowly lose interest.

I imagine the league would be exciting for a couple of seasons and then would quickly get boring when it's the same thing again and again.

Saddest thing is that the essence of the game in us fans haven't been consulted at all - presumably because they know they'd all be against it.

• Matches taking place at weekends. Perhaps, I think domestic leagues will have to take precedence (unless the ESL clubs really do completely go their own way?).
  • Matches moving around the world. Probably, though I don't see any issue with a few games going around the World, our fan base is (or should be) global, 5% of games taking place in other countries wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO.
  • Increased Sky/BT subscriptions. I don't see why, I would imagine this is being stood up with these hugs sums as the money men have seen the potential of streaming instead of the traditional subscription services.
  • Poorer PL - no incentive to play well or even the best team when you're guaranteed entry anyway. I agree that things could get less interesting towards the end of the season where there is no longer any scrambling for CL places. I think winning the PL will continue to be a big aim however.... after all it's not as if teams didn't really try to win the PL title just because they were already in the CL is it?)
  • Higher ticket prices. I don't see why this is a natural assumption? The broadcasting revenues are likely to dwarf ticket revenue (the corporate revenue is likely to have a big uptick however)

Honestly, the Champions League isn't that important to me - but if we lose the Premier League ... fudge me, then what do we do.
Same, the big London derbies, banter between fans get me far more excited than Tottenham Vs Barcelona etc. The atmosphere will be gone because the kind of fans that create atmosphere won't be in support of this.

I can't see how the PL can exclude the clubs as long as they fulfil the games. It would need them to have a right to stop clubs participating in other tournaments. Do they have this? There are money-spinning preseason tournaments and midseason friendlies and the superleague is a more formal version of these.

This has always been on the cards
Owners want success to bring in £££ to get more success to bring in £££
For example Liverpool were created by a landlord who had an empty stadium... not to be a successful football club
We’re very much a property business right now with football being a function of it
United are a walking bill board... surmised we don’t see ole spooning a sign every now and then
Chelsea and city are basically a gold plated chess set like they had in the places in France

The premier league works because its super competitive ... its super competitive because of money, not quality
The outrage is that the “big clubs” want more money to keep them super competitive
The whole thing stated with the wages cap being cancelled years ago
Clubs like Blackburn had to spend money they couldn’t sustain ti get their short term glory
Clubs like Portsmouth and Leeds gambled and died
We have championship clubs spending 200% of their turnover on wages
City paid more for a Brazilian striker who didn’t want to go there (Robinho) and artificially inflated the market
Teams like Palace and Villa are laying certain players more money than we pay some of our very best
When you have intelligent people looking at it with their own club bias their naturally thinking this isn’t right and not in their best interests
What you have with the big 6 now are some genuine business people like FSG, levy and Kronke, some cowboys like the Glazers and two owners who have play thing clubs that legitimise their bad side (they were the two who came to this last).
3 of these clubs need to significantly upgrade their infrastructure too which needs £££
Why wouldn’t they take this opportunity if it means more ££ which they know will end up in the players pockets
As a lifelong fan who went to see us okay at the age of 4 (thanks dad) I hate it, but I get it
Interesting that you call Levy a genuine business man but call the Glaziers cowboys. On what do you base that opinion?

as a fan of a club from another country in another sport I loved being able to see them play a proper league game in London

I can't see how the PL can exclude the clubs as long as they fulfil the games. It would need them to have a right to stop clubs participating in other tournaments. Do they have this? There are money-spinning preseason tournaments and midseason friendlies and the superleague is a more formal version of these.

If they tried it, the other 14 clubs would be the first ones complaining, they are bankrolled by TV money that comes their way because of the big clubs

Back