• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Horrible idea, we aren't going to enjoy being beaten soundly every week by Europe's greatest. Being left behind is also terrible though, which is why the whole thing is such brick.
Sorry but i don’t buy we are going to be whipping boys. We’ve proven before we can compete with Dortmund, Madrid etc right now Barca are no better than us personnel wise, we can compete with the other English clubs bar City and the Italian clubs aren’t really better than us. Not saying we are going to win, but we should be able to hold our own.....

Sorry but i don’t buy we are going to be whipping boys. We’ve proven before we can compete with Dortmund, Madrid etc right now Barca are no better than us personnel wise, we can compete with the other English clubs bar City and the Italian clubs aren’t really better than us. Not saying we are going to win, but we should be able to hold our own.....

Yes, it might now come down to coaching, tactics etc

From January:

European Super League would have six Premier League teams – each paid up to £310m to join

Founder members of a proposed European Super League would be offered up to £310 million each to join the competition and could earn as much as £213 million a season from it, according to an incendiary document seen by The Times.

Six English clubs would be among the 15 permanent founding members, according to sources with knowledge of the proposals. They also say that Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan are the driving forces behind the plans for a Super League, to replace Uefa’s Champions League.

The 18-page proposal for the Super League says the 15 founding members and five other clubs, who would be decided via qualification each year, would be split into two groups of ten and play between 18 and 23 matches a season. The document adds that the potential revenues would be huge, with clubs having the rights to show some of the matches on their own digital platforms. The clubs would still also play in their domestic leagues.

I'd forgotten about this. The proposal shouldn't have been such a surprise.

Not against a league so much more that there's no relegation and with it being governed by themselves it will inevitably lead to:
  • Matches taking place at weekends
  • Matches moving around the world
  • Increased Sky/BT subscriptions
  • Poorer PL - no incentive to play well or even the best team when you're guaranteed entry anyway
  • Higher ticket prices
For me football is all about the league and banter with mates and at work over games etc, if that's gone then I'd probably slowly lose interest.

I imagine the league would be exciting for a couple of seasons and then would quickly get boring when it's the same thing again and again.

Saddest thing is that the essence of the game in us fans haven't been consulted at all - presumably because they know they'd all be against it.

Doesn’t it mean we can enjoy the football more for the rest of the season now?
Better style of football, we can stop debating Jose, and also doesn’t matter where we finish in the league so pressure is off:D....

Do we know what Mason's style is?

Not against a league so much more that there's no relegation and with it being governed by themselves it will inevitably lead to:
  • Matches taking place at weekends
  • Matches moving around the world
  • Increased Sky/BT subscriptions
  • Poorer PL - no incentive to play well or even the best team when you're guaranteed entry anyway
  • Higher ticket prices
For me football is all about the league and banter with mates and at work over games etc, if that's gone then I'd probably slowly lose interest.

I imagine the league would be exciting for a couple of seasons and then would quickly get boring when it's the same thing again and again.

Saddest thing is that the essence of the game in us fans haven't been consulted at all - presumably because they know they'd all be against it.

I expect a large part of this is direct to consumer streaming rights, maybe not straight away, but at some point.

This has always been on the cards
Owners want success to bring in £££ to get more success to bring in £££
For example Liverpool were created by a landlord who had an empty stadium... not to be a successful football club
We’re very much a property business right now with football being a function of it
United are a walking bill board... surmised we don’t see ole spooning a sign every now and then
Chelsea and city are basically a gold plated chess set like they had in the places in France

The premier league works because its super competitive ... its super competitive because of money, not quality
The outrage is that the “big clubs” want more money to keep them super competitive
The whole thing stated with the wages cap being cancelled years ago
Clubs like Blackburn had to spend money they couldn’t sustain ti get their short term glory
Clubs like Portsmouth and Leeds gambled and died
We have championship clubs spending 200% of their turnover on wages
City paid more for a Brazilian striker who didn’t want to go there (Robinho) and artificially inflated the market
Teams like Palace and Villa are laying certain players more money than we pay some of our very best
When you have intelligent people looking at it with their own club bias their naturally thinking this isn’t right and not in their best interests
What you have with the big 6 now are some genuine business people like FSG, levy and Kronke, some cowboys like the Glazers and two owners who have play thing clubs that legitimise their bad side (they were the two who came to this last).
3 of these clubs need to significantly upgrade their infrastructure too which needs £££
Why wouldn’t they take this opportunity if it means more ££ which they know will end up in the players pockets
As a lifelong fan who went to see us okay at the age of 4 (thanks dad) I hate it, but I get it

I expect a large part of this is direct to consumer streaming rights, maybe not straight away, but at some point.

Hadn't thought of that but it would be even worse, I have zero interest paying for an extra subscription. It's already too expensive.

Hadn't thought of that but it would be even worse, I have zero interest paying for an extra subscription. It's already too expensive.

An ESL match going season ticket of some description to look forward to as well I'd have thought

Anyone seen rumours for start date? Next PL season might be ugly with this big cloud hanging over it...

It wouldn't be an extra subscription, you could bin of Sky/BT and just pay for our games.

Back