• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League - Round of 32: Fiorentina (ITA)

Re: The Race for Europe/6th Place

goons will finish 4th and win the cup..........you know it

Have we forgotten that if you win the Europa league - you get into the champions league? Could be our best shot to be honest.

Build a team to compete in the Europa league.....

If man yoo are in EL next season I imagine they will take it very seriously indeed, both to win a trophy, and thus then be back in CL...which their infrastructure desperately needs.

Looks like we need a point vs West Ham and a win vs Villa.

Please don't let us come unstuck at Upton Park [-o<

No European football next year would be crrrrrrrrrrap. We'Ve been fixtures in Europe for ages now.

Looks like we need a point vs West Ham and a win vs Villa.

Please don't let us come unstuck at Upton Park [-o<

No European football next year would be crrrrrrrrrrap. We'Ve been fixtures in Europe for ages now.

Yes, 4pts nails EL for sure. Dreaming slightly, 6pts would give us a long shot at 5th. I'm hoping Southampton have got a little boost from yesterdays win and make life very tough for United on the last day. We might even only need 2pts, also I dont think United will have an easy ride v Sunderland at OT, as proved recently by their visits to CIty and Chelsea

Table after yesterday:

4 Arsenal 35 21 7 7 62 41 21 70
5 Everton 36 20 9 7 57 36 21 69
6 Tottenham 36 20 6 10 52 49 3 66
7 Man Utd 35 18 6 11 60 40 20 60

Remaining fixtures:

Arsenal

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H)
West Brom (H)
Norwich (A)

Can't really see them dropping points

Everton

Emirates Marketing Project (H)
Hull (A)

Tough fixtures for Everton, 4 points would be an excellent result for them

Us

West Ham (A)
Aston Villa (H)

West Ham's form has collapsed after their mini run, but they're always up for the fight against us at Upton Park, but you would have to say anything less than 6 points from those two fixtures

Man Utd

Sunderland (H)
Hull (H)
Southampton (A)

I think Sunderland will be a lot tougher than it is on paper as they seem to have done very well against the tougher teams lately, but I'd expect the Giggs/new broom factor to carry them over the line in the two home games, but Southampton away is a very tough final fixture.

I think its a strong possibility that the standings don't change at all from now till the end of the season, but I think the strongest possibility of movement is us overtaking Everton.

We could have done with Everton having a tougher away match for that last fixture, think Hull will have their minds on the Cup final to take any points off them.
Arsenal will secure St Totts Day tomorrow, 4th next weekend before sending Norwich down on the last day

Arsenal will probably win all of their games, Norwich might give them a match depending on whether they're still in the fight.

Everton's season may well just peter out now.

City still have a shout on the title, if results go badly for them today at Palace they might have to even fight Arsenal for 3rd.

Us. 4 points will do. Spam away will be tough as usual, win would be nice, but a draw will do. Should beat Villa, I'm going so it would be nice to have something to play for.

Utd - Beat Sunderland and Hull, 5-5 draw at Southampton.

Now: "Yes, we should be going for a Europa spot, playing for any Cup is good for the club"

9 months time: "We need to get out of Europe and focus on the league"

/Broken ****ing record.

I think Everton will get 4 points to be honest as will we. So we are likely to finish 6th on GD even if Everton only manage to get a point from Hull and lose to City. I don't see us winning both our fixtures but you never know.

On a side note, Villa are really in trouble. The way they play and the need for points will play into our hands on the final day. The only reason they will survive is purely because Cardiff are done and with Norwich likely to get nothing else this season it relies on Fulham who have an awful GD so they have to win both games and Villa have to lose both to go down. It could happen but I think Villa will just about survive.

Last edited:

What's the difference between playing away to Shaktar Donetsk or Zenit St. Petersburg in CL on Wednesday then having a Saturday match in England against playing away to Dinamo Kyiv or Ruben Kazan on Thursday and having a Sunday match in England?

Answer: The space between the perceiver's brain cells.

The CL alternates between Tuesday and Wednesday so sometimes you'll have an extra day. Playing on Sundays means you'll always be playing catch up to the other teams and Sunday games are always horrible for atmosphere which doesn't help either.

If you factor in the CL incentive and even more youth prospects who could feature in the early stages (one of AVBs errors), EL qualification is a positive. Also those are the games I normally go to!

What's the difference between playing away to Shaktar Donetsk or Zenit St. Petersburg in CL on Wednesday then having a Saturday match in England against playing away to Dinamo Kyiv or Ruben Kazan on Thursday and having a Sunday match in England?

Answer: The space between the perceiver's brain cells.

The space between my brain cells tells me Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd played on Saturday after Wednesday 3 times and City 2 where as we played 14 times after the shorter break, which in my humble opinion does have an effect on the players.

good result chelsea beating liverpool. hopefully city beat palace today and then do us a favour against everton.

unlikely that we'll catch them but you never know.

willian was outstanding in this game. one can imagine if avb had the players he wanted - willian, moutinho. conceicao, hulk...

ImperturbableUnderstatedDaddylonglegs.gif

willian was outstanding in this game. one can imagine if avb had the players he wanted - willian, moutinho. conceicao, hulk...

ImperturbableUnderstatedDaddylonglegs.gif

Was dying for Torres to get the ball back from Willian on the line for a tap in just to **** off the scousers even more! Advantage City!

Being on the EL is fine if you play it properly. Second string and youth only in group stages is the answer, with the amount of players no one should be playing Thursday then Sunday, in the group stage at least. The problem with that is you lose out on match day revenue as no one wants to go to a reserve game for £30.

Back