• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League - Round of 32: Fiorentina (ITA)

Re: The Race for Europe/6th Place

Not only is it easier to win, with the Champions League deadbeats excluded from joining the party in the knockouts, the additional reward for doing so has made it a great deal more appealing. Not just some of grandma’s best silver to put in the cupboard for the winner; a place in the following season’s European Cup, too.

http://www.whoframedruelfox.com/?p=5556

Is the bit about no CL dropouts true?!?! If so, it def puts an added incentive and one less round although I can't see UEFA giving the winners a CL spot and deny CL group stages failures an extra chance at the same time.
Not according to wiki.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_UEFA_Europa_League

Trim the squad of dead wood and screw the Europa Cup for a season.

See how we do in the league without Thursday night football.

Haven't we lost something like 7 games out of 9 following Europa games midweek?

Dinamo Tbilisi 0-5 Tottenham
Tottenham 1-0 Swansea

Tottenham 3-0 Dinamo Tbilisi
Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham

Tottenham 3-0 Tromsø
Cardiff 0-1 Tottenham

Anzhi 0-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 0-3 West Ham

FC Sheriff 0-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 1-0 Hull

Tottenham 2-1 FC Sheriff
Tottenham 0-1 Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Tromsø 0-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 2-2 Man United

Tottenham 4-1 Anzhi
Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool

Dnipro 1-0 Tottenham
Norwich 1-0 Tottenham

Tottenham 3-1 Dnipro
Tottenham 1-0 Cardiff

Tottenham 1-3 Benfica
Tottenham 0-1 Arsenal

Benfica 2-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 3-2 Southampton

P12 W5D1L6

It's the West Ham and Norwich losses that are bad results, Saudi Sportswashing Machine was just a freak result.

Arsenal played Fenerbache at home and Bayern away the same week we played them, though they were lucky enough that both games were on Tuesdays. Man Utd had played Leverkusen in Germany.

We did manage to do the double over Cardiff coming off European games, the first one in Cardiff when they weren't completely ****.

We did manage to do the double over Cardiff coming off European games, the first one in Cardiff when they weren't completely ****.

They may not have been awful but we still managed 12 shots on target to their 0.

We had a few scares in that 1st game against Cardiff early on. Lloris was so lucky to still be on the pitch.

We had a few scares in that 1st game against Cardiff early on. Lloris was so lucky to still be on the pitch.

I don't really remember much about the game to be honest, except that their goalkeeper kept them in it right up until Paulinho's backheel.

Was that one of the occasions where Hugo handled the ball on the edge of/just outside the box?

Dinamo Tbilisi 0-5 Tottenham
Tottenham 1-0 Swansea

Tottenham 3-0 Dinamo Tbilisi
Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham

Tottenham 3-0 Tromsø
Cardiff 0-1 Tottenham

Anzhi 0-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 0-3 West Ham

FC Sheriff 0-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 1-0 Hull

Tottenham 2-1 FC Sheriff
Tottenham 0-1 Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Tromsø 0-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 2-2 Man United

Tottenham 4-1 Anzhi
Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool

Dnipro 1-0 Tottenham
Norwich 1-0 Tottenham

Tottenham 3-1 Dnipro
Tottenham 1-0 Cardiff

Tottenham 1-3 Benfica
Tottenham 0-1 Arsenal

Benfica 2-2 Tottenham
Tottenham 3-2 Southampton

P12 W5D1L6

It's the West Ham and Norwich losses that are bad results, Saudi Sportswashing Machine was just a freak result.

Arsenal played Fenerbache at home and Bayern away the same week we played them, though they were lucky enough that both games were on Tuesdays. Man Utd had played Leverkusen in Germany.

It's hard to fully assess the true meaning of all this scheduling and results data on our PL form unless we see the lineups posted for each game, the minutes played, kilometres run per player - plus the same data and relative strength fielded by each European and PL opponent - and the amount of time spent travelling and weather data for away games in Europe.

Hard, but not impossible.

There's a good chap ;-)

Although I think it's impossible to accurately judge the exact impact on domestic form of playing in Europe I think the "European hangover effect" has been well enough documented to accept as real at this point.

Although I think it's impossible to accurately judge the exact impact on domestic form of playing in Europe I think the "European hangover effect" has been well enough documented to accept as real at this point.

Everton and Liverpool will be back on the Eurobooze next year so hopefully the impact on them will be worse than on the hardened drinkers like us.

Yeah that was the game where he came running out and handled the ball literally on the 18 yrd line. Was touch and go whether or not he continued handling it as his hand crossed the line. We did boss that game though so I don't think we can complain too much about the European hang over on that occasion

Everton and Liverpool will be back on the Eurobooze next year so hopefully the impact on them will be worse than on the hardened drinkers like us.

I think there's a very good chance it could.

I think several of their players have been over performing this season. They've also had a bit more than their share of good fortune I think. Adding more games for their somewhat thin squad to handle I think they will have to get a lot of things very right in the summer transfer market to keep up their performances next season.

I think they will be CL/top 4 challengers though.

Well that's that. Might as well close the thread.

If ManU win out - and you just know they will - they will take sixth place and the final EL placing away from us.

Welcome to Easy Street.

West Ham must be ****ed

They must be the first team in european football history to have won 3 cup finals in a season - and still not qualify for Europe

Villa leading already. Hopefully they won't have to put in the performance of a lifetime against us next week.

Villa leading already. Hopefully they won't have to put in the performance of a lifetime against us next week.
Do we really care?? We won't get Europa now. Im just desperate for the season to end.

Im not even looking forward to the world cup. Football is too draining.

Oh well, at least whomever is Spurs manager next season likely won't have to worry about any notion of European hangovers... :(

Spurs P:37 Pts:66 GD:+1
ManU P:35 Pts:60 GD:+20

Man U v Sunderland

Southampton v ManU
Spurs v Aston Villa

Thank GHod for that, I didn't want us to get into the Europa League as it hinders our run for a CL spot every year. Hopefully now with a good run at it we can get to where we want to be.

West Ham must be ****ed

They must be the first team in european football history to have won 3 cup finals in a season - and still not qualify for Europe

To the tune of what they were singing to us today - "Bottom half, West Ham's done it again!"

W@nkers!

Thank GHod for that, I didn't want us to get into the Europa League as it hinders our run for a CL spot every year. Hopefully now with a good run at it we can get to where we want to be.

Then when we get into the Champions League our squad is too small to cope with the rigours of European football and we end up back in mid table the following season... or is that the hope that we yo-yo between 4th place and mid-table?

Last edited:

This thread should be titled 'The race for an excuse if things go wrong next season' which United will win if they win the next 3 games.

Back