• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

If we get this guy to add to Sandro and Paulinho, there is no way anyone will out muscle us in midfield next season

If we keep Bale, this window is turning into probably the best one I can remember and better than most pre-window summers. The only one which might compare is the one when Klinsmann etc arrived

If we have a excellent XI - we can push for 4th
If we have a excellent squad - we can push for titles, in several competitions

If we get this guy to add to Sandro and Paulinho, there is no way anyone will out muscle us in midfield next season

If we keep Bale, this window is turning into probably the best one I can remember and better than most pre-window summers. The only one which might compare is the one when Klinsmann etc arrived

I think the January & Summer 2005 windows were the ones which helped Spurs go from a mid-table club to one which pushed for European places...

David Limbersky Viktoria Plzen, Czech R Jan-05 Loan
Mounir El Hamdaoui Excelsior Rotterdam Jan-05 £300,000
Radek Cerny Slavia Prague, Czech R Jan-05 Loan to 31.05.08
Andy Reid Nottingham Forest Jan-05 £4,500,000
Michael Dawson Nottingham Forest Jan-05 £3,500,000
Mido AS Roma, Italy Jan-05 18 month Loan
Tom Huddlestone Derby County Jan-05 £2,000,000
Paul Stalteri Werder Bremen, Ger Jun-05 Bosman
Aaron Lennon Leeds United Jun-05 £800,000
Teemu Tainio Auxerre, France Jul-05 Bosman
Wayne Routledge Crystal Palace Jul-05 £1,250,000
Edgar Davids Inter Milan, Italy Jul-05 Free
Young-Pyo Lee PSV Eindhoven, Neth Jul-05 £1,290,000
Grzegorz Rasiak Derby County Jul-05 £2,200,000

I think the January & Summer 2005 windows were the ones which helped Spurs go from a mid-table club to one which pushed for European places...

David Limbersky Viktoria Plzen, Czech R Jan-05 Loan
Mounir El Hamdaoui Excelsior Rotterdam Jan-05 £300,000
Radek Cerny Slavia Prague, Czech R Jan-05 Loan to 31.05.08
Andy Reid Nottingham Forest Jan-05 £4,500,000
Michael Dawson Nottingham Forest Jan-05 £3,500,000
Mido AS Roma, Italy Jan-05 18 month Loan
Tom Huddlestone Derby County Jan-05 £2,000,000
Paul Stalteri Werder Bremen, Ger Jun-05 Bosman
Aaron Lennon Leeds United Jun-05 £800,000
Teemu Tainio Auxerre, France Jul-05 Bosman
Wayne Routledge Crystal Palace Jul-05 £1,250,000
Edgar Davids Inter Milan, Italy Jul-05 Free
Young-Pyo Lee PSV Eindhoven, Neth Jul-05 £1,290,000
Grzegorz Rasiak Derby County Jul-05 £2,200,000

In terms of quantity yes, but in terms of quality this window I think wins

maybe not out muscle us, but possibly run rings round us if they have alert, quick pass and move players

i think we will be fine though....you left out Dembele who is brilliant at winning the ball back

Of Capoue is as versatile as people think, it would also fit into the thinking that AVB wants players that can cover a few positions and also lends itself nicely to tweaking formations during games.

Is creativity from the deeper, central positions really that important? When I think of creative players in this league, I think of Mata, Silva and Cazorla types. These players tend to play high up the pitch and often drift in from "wide-forward" positions in the front 3.

Maybe Chadli has been brought in to solve this problem for us? Or maybe Sig steps up this season? (Two pretty big 'maybe's' I grant you).

Those are some of the most creative players in the league, and I'd like to have an advanced creative player in our side too.

But even if Mata is playing further out wide, he'll have the very creative Oscar in the middle, or they'll swap positions. They also have Lampard who is one of the league's best passers in the middle to get the ball to him. At Arsenal, even if Cazorla is playing further out wide they've always had Rosicky, Arteta and Wheelchair in the middle - technical players with a good first touch who can pass the ball quickly and accurately. At City, even when Silva was playing further out side, they also had Barry, Milner and Nasri who can pass the ball in the middle of the pitch, although all of them had brick seasons and the team badly struggled for goals.

From what I've seen of Chadli, he looks like a dribbler. A direct player. Not a passer. Gylfi is, but AVB picked him out wide instead of in the middle a lot last season and I wonder how much playing time he'll get. He also seemed to be far more effective from the bench last season, but he was excellent during our best run of form of last season and I hope he can build on that. Given the choice of signing a top class upgrade though, I'd still like to see it.

but you're just counting name, you telling me that all those players at united and arsenal were of the same perceived level and marketability?

Who cares about perceptions and marketability? They all had big roles to play. I'm sure Cazorla, Wheelchair, Rosicky, Arteta and Diaby all thought that they were first choice when fit but you can't play all of them together. Even Aaron Ramsey played 36 games in the league.

For too long, we've over relied on a first XI of players who either get injured or burn out. We need competition for places. It wasn't too long ago that Michael Brown was first choice in our midfield, now if a significantly more talented player like Holtby gets frustrated because he can't get a game then that can only mean our midfield is playing well and that can only be a good thing.

latest from sky sports website: "Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran has confirmed that they are close to finalising a deal with Tottenham for Etienne Capoue. Spurs have moved to seal a deal for the French international midfielder after Cardiff and Atletico Madrid made bids last month"

Don't understand why we need another defensive midfielder. Thought with Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele we got enough defensive midfielders. We should be buying a defender and a attacking midfielder or playmaker instead. This is the area that troubled us most last season as we conceded too many goals and didn't create enough chances for attack as well. Still don't know who is going to create the goals for us next season.

Anyway, we should be buying players from the "outstanding" category like Paulinho and Soldado instead of the "decent" category like Chadli and Capoue.

Don't understand why we need another defensive midfielder. Thought with Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele we got enough defensive midfielders. We should be buying a defender and a attacking midfielder or playmaker instead. This is the area that troubled us most last season as we conceded too many goals and didn't create enough chances for attack as well. Still don't know who is going to create the goals for us next season.

Anyway, we should be buying players from the "outstanding" category like Paulinho and Soldado instead of the "decent" category like Chadli and Capoue.

1) There's a very real possibility that we may start games with the power triumvirate of Paulinho, Sandro and Dembele in the middle. We need quality back-up to replace them in case of accident without altering our playing style or reducing our effectiveness. Capoue may allow us to accomplish this.

2) If we have more of a focus on there being a powerful central drive forwards then there will be a reduced requirement for the 'creativity'. Not removing it but reducing it due to a different style of play, more direct and pressing.

3) Who is to say that a move to Spurs is not what could turn Chadli and Capoue into outstanding players? Not every player immediately announces themselves on the football stage as being 'outstanding'. They develop and grow. It'd be nice for us to have another Bale moment where a player we buy turns into an outstanding one, because our transfer chiefs were clever in buying the right 'decent' player with potential to evolve, rather than us feeling we have to spend huge money to by the established name.

1) There's a very real possibility that we may start games with the power triumvirate of Paulinho, Sandro and Dembele in the middle. We need quality back-up to replace them in case of accident without altering our playing style or reducing our effectiveness. Capoue may allow us to accomplish this.

2) If we have more of a focus on there being a powerful central drive forwards then there will be a reduced requirement for the 'creativity'. Not removing it but reducing it due to a different style of play, more direct and pressing.

3) Who is to say that a move to Spurs is not what could turn Chadli and Capoue into outstanding players? Not every player immediately announces themselves on the football stage as being 'outstanding'. They develop and grow. It'd be nice for us to have another Bale moment where a player we buy turns into an outstanding one, because our transfer chiefs were clever in buying the right 'decent' player with potential to evolve, rather than us feeling we have to spend huge money to by the established name.

What a great fudging word! :)

Oh and I agree with your points.

Come on people we need this sort of player to wage war against our weakness that is conceding from set-pieces......

besides the more physical power the better........

xd9xth.gif

For those who've seen him, when people say he can play as a cb, what do they mean by that? Do they mean he can play cb like Huddlestone can 'play' cb? Or like Vetonghen can play lb?

Is he decent enough there to be trusted as more than an emergency option?

For those who've seen him, when people say he can play as a cb, what do they mean by that? Do they mean he can play cb like Huddlestone can 'play' cb? Or like Vetonghen can play lb?

good post.

Not sure about his ability but in terms of his experience at CB he made 5 apps there last season compared to 28 as DMC according to WhoScored.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/33590

Toulouse FC Officiel ‏@ToulouseFC 21m

A.#Casanova: "Étienne #Capoue est toujours un joueur du #ToulouseFC et postule pour Valenciennes!" #ConférenceDePresse #VAFCToulouseFC

QHCaNyZk1t-2.png

Looks like he's in the team for the game against Valenciennes in their Ligue 1 opener.

Last edited:
does that mean he has turned us down??? Toulouse chairman accepted a bid but player said non??

maybe spurs never even really bid:)

Back