• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

It's pretty simple to answer why we have bought a midfielder; it's because we plan on selling some.

As a club, we are hopefully trying to aim at challenging for the title, and the only way we can do that is to have a quality squad. It was only last season where Sandro picked up an injury that ruled him out for the whole campaign. Parker didn't do a good enough job in his place.

Likewise, Dembele could have done with being rested/rotated a lot more last season. He was run into the ground and his performances dipped as a result, imo. But we didn't really have the players to rely on, especially with Sandro already missing. We had no other 'presence' in midfield to call upon.

It seems to me that we are trying to build a squad whereby we can keep playing the same way no matter who gets injured/rested/dropped/suspended. Long may we continue to do that.

Well said .

We really do need to get past this sneak into the top four mentality and aim for the summit!

Can't believe people are against this move. I'm sure we are still looking for a centre back.

I'm sorry but for the last few years weve been so reliant on our first XI as the drop off in quality is significant - we play our strongest XI all the time and burn them out. Look at Man U, City and Chelsea, they rotate without significant drop in quality. We don't as Sandro & Dembele are much better than Parker & Hudd and we suffered when they were out. We played so much with Parker for the second part of the season people forget how strong we looked with Dembele & Sandro together. Man U away, smashing Fulham 3-0 away, we went on an amazing run.

Having a pool of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue is STUNNING means we can maintain a strong spine while resting and covering from injuries. The fact he can cover centre back is a bonus!

Up until Sandro's injury at Loftus Road, I were thinking we could maybe get into the top three and I heard from other Spurs fans talking about being runners up.
Parker came into the team and did a fairly decent job in his first few games, but he's not a player we can expect a consistent high standard of performance,. As the season wore on, his own standards dropped , trying to hard didnt help his game.

For those who've seen him, when people say he can play as a cb, what do they mean by that? Do they mean he can play cb like Huddlestone can 'play' cb? Or like Vetonghen can play lb?

Is he decent enough there to be trusted as more than an emergency option?

like mentioned. He's as much a centre back as Vert is a left back or Bale is a right winger etc.

He can play there with consumate ease.

ITK's claiming that they have info about this deal after its already been mentioned by their chairman etc :ross:

Wow, i go away for three days..

Good replacement for Parker. We're starting to get decent depth in the middle of the field. Pretty much sorted there after this deal. Gonna take a bit of selling though...

Still need to grab a CB and check on any trade ups for Defoe.

Some interesting comments especially those saying he is superfluous as we already have our fill of defensive CM... Totally disagree

Capoue will give us something new that none of Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro have. A true midfield anchor man - ala Sergio Busquets. Unlike Sandro who tends to move forwards when we are in possess, Capoue will back providing a back 3 with Kaboul to his right and Vertoghen to his left, overload the flanks with the overlapping full backs (hence the Coentrao interest) yet still have a solid presence in the centre with Paulinho and Dembele or Sandro. Capoue will give us the ability to put both full backs forward yet retain solidity. The advanced fullback would in turn provide the platform for the two wide players to cut in either for a shot or to make space that the full backs can run into. It is as close (within reason) as we can get to the Barca model.

And Capoue would be the lynchpin of that system..

Some interesting comments especially those saying he is superfluous as we already have our fill of defensive CM... Totally disagree

Capoue will give us something new that none of Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro have. A true midfield anchor man - ala Sergio Busquets. Unlike Sandro who tends to move forwards when we are in possess, Capoue will back providing a back 3 with Kaboul to his right and Vertoghen to his left, overload the flanks with the overlapping full backs (hence the Coentrao interest) yet still have a solid presence in the centre with Paulinho and Dembele or Sandro. Capoue will give us the ability to put both full backs forward yet retain solidity. The advanced fullback would in turn provide the platform for the two wide players to cut in either for a shot or to make space that the full backs can run into. It is as close (within reason) as we can get to the Barca model.

And Capoue would be the lynchpin of that system..

Sorry to sound sarcastic ... but your in depth knowledge would appear to me that you have seen lots of him and how he would fit in ... please tell me that you watch French football .... regularly.

Falcon - sounds like you expect him to be a starter from the off?

I do actually because he fits in to the AVB model. People on the board tend equate a good tackler = defensive CM. That is not what I believe. Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele are excellent tacklers but they predominantly look forwards. They are the epitomy of the modern midfielder who can tackle but also dribble and move forward to support the attack. Hence Redknapp's continuous moans at Sandro to stay back, stay back.

From what I've seen of Capoue (which dear Gazza, is pretty much the same or more than most people who venture an opinion on this board), he is happy to look back. To literally be the defensive midfield lynchpin so that others - mainly fullbacks - can advance.

interesting, how do you see our midfield working next season then? assuming that we play 3 in the middle, one of which being Capoue - the 3 you mention above fighting it out for the remaining two positions? - what about the likes of Holtby and Sigurdsson?

I do actually because he fits in to the AVB model. People on the board tend equate a good tackler = defensive CM. That is not what I believe. Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele are excellent tacklers but they predominantly look forwards. They are the epitomy of the modern midfielder who can tackle but also dribble and move forward to support the attack. Hence Redknapp's continuous moans at Sandro to stay back, stay back.

From what I've seen of Capoue (which dear Gazza, is pretty much the same or more than most people who venture an opinion on this board), he is happy to look back. To literally be the defensive midfield lynchpin so that others - mainly fullbacks - can advance.

great post - and echoes my thoughts of what I have seen of Capoue & heard......if we get this lad in man does it reinforce the spine of the team....gives us fantastic options in midfield......and I include Holtby & siggy in that as I think they will prove the have the keys to unlock heavily fortified doors.

interesting, how do you see our midfield working next season then? assuming that we play 3 in the middle, one of which being Capoue - the 3 you mention above fighting it out for the remaining two positions? - what about the likes of Holtby and Sigurdsson?

I am sure AVB will mix and match and there will be games where Capoue (always assuming this transfer does not fall flat on its face) would be rested - especially at WHL against teams that park the bus. But away against the big guns I would see a midfield three of Capoue - Paulinho / Sandro.

Holtby and Siggy I do not see as starters except in Europe or the cups...

So what will our midfield 3 be in your opinion?

Whilst in no way am I comparing him to someone like Jenas, or Parker, for that matter - isnt this precisely what people moaned about on here? The lack of forward play and sideways passing - which in my view is no bad thing.

I am happy for a DM to be just that a DM ie get the ball back and pass it to the creative players and maintain position and possession.

I like that our first team doesn't automatically pick itself anymore. There was a time when we had an almost constant first team, excluding the effect of injuries but now, far from it.

Addicted to Spurs ‏@AddictedtoSpurs 1m

RMC radio France claim Etienne Capoue is on his way to London right now to finalise his move to Tottenham. €10 million. 4 year deal. #THFC

Back