• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

France have one of the best youth prospects in world football coming through. I wasn't surprised they won the U20s World Cup.

The likes of Digne, Zouma, Varane, Umtiti, Pogba, Areola, Sanogo etc. are all outstanding prospects.

Which means what exactly?

Even the current French crop are good. (Lloris, Kaboul, Schneiderlin, Sissoko, Sagna, Nasri, Koscielny, Giroud, Evra, Distin, Diaby, Clichy, Debuchy, Cabaye, ben Arfa) to name a few.

Ok, but they are not in the same league as 10 years ago and the Premiership greats you spoke about.

France have one of the best youth prospects in world football coming through. I wasn't surprised they won the U20s World Cup.

The likes of Digne, Zouma, Varane, Umtiti, Pogba, Areola, Sanogo etc. are all outstanding prospects.

Every country of the top leagues you could do that with. They all have outstanding prospects, just the last 2-3 years or so, I think the quality coming out of France has dipped significantly.

I like his speed and agility and fits the system, but I would still swap him for someone like Courtois.

There is the odd decent player coming out of France.. like Cabaye, but it really is like throwing a dart at a pack of cards blind folded and then hope to hit an ace.

No way. Lloris beats Curtois every time for me.

That was horrendous to watch.. it was like watching Jenas on a good day.

I disagree. Seemed like an alright performance. Far from horrendous. There's a longer video of him vs psg on youtube, perhaps more impressive. But if you though that video was so bad you will probably find the PSG one average at best.

Every country of the top leagues you could do that with. They all have outstanding prospects, just the last 2-3 years or so, I think the quality coming out of France has dipped significantly.

Varane looks like one of the best young centre back talents in the world. Rami moved to Valencia not that long ago and looks very solid. Lloris to us has been mentioned. Not up there with their best generation(s) in recent years, but that's hardly an argument against signing one individual player. The quality of players coming out of a country will naturally fluctuate and if you're talking about periods as short as 2-3 years then any country is bound to have some dry spells.

When Real signed Ozil and Khedira I think a very similar argument could be made about few quality players coming out of Germany in a period longer than 2-3 years.

It's the damn iPhone again!

I'm with you man. I'm with you.

*headbutting wall emoticon*

Yup, it's a total pain in the ass! I look at the text that I've written sometimes and it's as if I've put the text through Google translate 5 times before what I've typed has actually appeared on screen...and one of those languages is Martian!!

I can type 85 wpm+ so I definitely shouldn't have the problems with the iPhone that I have grrrr

You are right for the AVB system it should be. I think Courtois is the better keeper though.

I prefer Lloris, then again being a football fan is a game of opinions. I think Courtois has impressed but so did De Gea and he hasn't been 'that' good yet for Manchester United, at least not on a consistent basis.

I disagree. Seemed like an alright performance. Far from horrendous. There's a longer video of him vs psg on youtube, perhaps more impressive. But if you though that video was so bad you will probably find the PSG one average at best.

Varane looks like one of the best young centre back talents in the world. Rami moved to Valencia not that long ago and looks very solid. Lloris to us has been mentioned. Not up there with their best generation(s) in recent years, but that's hardly an argument against signing one individual player. The quality of players coming out of a country will naturally fluctuate and if you're talking about periods as short as 2-3 years then any country is bound to have some dry spells.

When Real signed Ozil and Khedira I think a very similar argument could be made about few quality players coming out of Germany in a period longer than 2-3 years.

I agree with a lot you say.. but I didn't say Germany hadn't had a lean spell of producing players and that comparison is fair that countries have dry spells. I am saying that France is somewhat going through that point right now. Maybe in 2 or 3 seasons that group of players that Murmon posted will become the stars of Europe, at the moment that's a wait and see.. the previous 2 or 3 years is where the baron spell is.

I agree with a lot you say.. but I didn't say Germany hadn't had a lean spell of producing players and that comparison is fair that countries have dry spells. I am saying that France is somewhat going through that point right now. Maybe in 2 or 3 seasons that group of players that Murmon posted will become the stars of Europe, at the moment that's a wait and see.. the previous 2 or 3 years is where the baron spell is.

That's still not an argument against signing one individual player.

Norwegian scout Tor-Kristian Karlsen wrote a bit about Capoue in his Guardian column this week:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/09/transfer-window-analysis-sporting-directors

The imposing 25-year-old Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue looks set to be Spurs' fourth signing of the transfer window, at a fee of around £8.6m. Capped 10 times by France, he's been on the wishlist of many European clubs for a couple of years now (Toulouse's high valuation hindered several potential moves) and, with his probable capture, Spurs' midfield is looking ever more impressive.

Compared to their other central midfielders (Dembélé, Sandro, Paulinho) he's clearly more defensively minded – breaking up attacks, winning the ball and playing the simple pass out – but he's also improved his attacking play over the past year, adding goals mainly through his energy and power, which see him join in and make runs when the opportunity arises, rather than with flair or creativity. Though he has played centre-back in his teens and early 20s, I expect Spurs to use him in midfield where he should have no problem holding his own. His style looks suited to the Premier League; though he's a strong and towering figure, he's not sluggish and shows a dynamism and agility not always found in players of his size.

It seems like another good signing for Spurs; while I'm not expecting him to be the most spectacular of the new arrivals, he's an efficient player with a good mentality who'll be of great use in their squad. I rate him as the best defensive midfielder in French football of the past few seasons.

Seems to me that Capoue will be able to cover Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele's position. He has added goals to his game, has energy and can tackle. He can also play centre back if needed.

Seems to me that Capoue will be able to cover Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele's position. He has added goals to his game, has energy and can tackle. He can also play centre back if needed.

Capoue, Sandro, Paulinho...wow...Dembele doesn't get flogged to within an inch of his hip...that midfield is not going to get bossed around by anyone...

That's still not an argument against signing one individual player.

Yes it is if I keep hearing and reading this player is one of the best players in France and then see that video. It clearly shows that the French league isn't currently a place I'd want Tottenham to shop. Maybe it was a really really bad day at the office that day. I hope it was.. and why I said for me that video never happened and we will see when he gets to play in the Tottenham shirt.

Looking at the vids. He looks immense. We need guys like these to win the league. Levy is doing a top job this summer

Back