• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Dembele, Mason and Bentaleb aren't far off fitness according to Poch so suspensions hopefully should really dent us if these boys can reign the tough tackles in for a few games.

Dier is our defensive midfielder but he is our top scorer in the league with 2 goals so far this season. That is something our attacking players, particularly Kane, should be embarassed about. Behind Dier, we have 7 players with 1 goal each : Chadli, Alli, Mason, Son, Alderweireld, Kane and Lamela. Hope this will fire up Kane to go on a goal scoring run, just to overtake Dier !

For me he has been our best player this season and can not believe he is only 21.

Not only is he strong in the tackle. He's also agile, fast, and he can pass the ball well. At 21. Okay we've seen other young players come into the side under Poch and play well beyond their years. The key is can they keep it up, when the adrenaline wears off and a starting place in the side is routine, can they deliver each week? With Dier, because of his physique and skill, you feel he can.

Last edited:
Is anyone else feeling like he's played a lot recently and is due a bit of a resting or is that just me.

wouldn't want to disrupt his rhythm as he's on fire just a little concerned as he's played all the games....we also need to get minutes for Bentaleb & Mason when they are available.

I think Dier is literally developing each game.

As much at its a risk (overplaying), players have those career defining half seasons where they develop in leaps and bounds, Dier seems to be at that stage.

Game time is probably the best thing we can do to make sure he continues to develop. Yesterday's game playing DM against that City side is probably a year's worth of training ground time.

Dier is our defensive midfielder but he is our top scorer in the league with 2 goals so far this season. That is something our attacking players, particularly Kane, should be embarassed about. Behind Dier, we have 7 players with 1 goal each : Chadli, Alli, Mason, Son, Alderweireld, Kane and Lamela. Hope this will fire up Kane to go on a goal scoring run, just to overtake Dier !

I'd be more concerned if we had 1 player with 7 goals, if he went down injured all our goal scoring ability would be lost. With the goal scoring spread around it shows we aren't reliant on one player or one style of play to get the goals.

Not only is he strong in the tackle. He's also agile, fast, and he can pass the ball well. At 21. Okay we've seen before, that young players can come into the side under Poch and play well beyond their years. The key is can they keep it up, when the adrenaline wears off and starting place in the side is routine, can they deliver each week? With Dier, because of his physique and skill, you feel he can.

I am usually wary of going overboard about young players, having worked with many and seeing how many fall by the wayside ( despite starting well) and also seen a few at Spurs do the same I am careful about expecting to much. However in Dier I see a commitment to work hard and learn ( even though he is playing in a different area then he is used to) and I have high hopes that he will carry on and become a star for us.

Alderweireld is a very competent DM.. Could fill a gap with Wimmer or Fazio coming in at CB.

Speak to SOuthampton fans and they will say he did not impress as a DM, and as for Fazio, right now I would try to avoid having him start in the league at the moment.

Dembele, Mason and Bentaleb aren't far off fitness according to Poch so suspensions hopefully should really dent us if these boys can reign the tough tackles in for a few games.

Solid break between the Swansea and Liverpool games with the international break. Would assume at least one of those you mention coming back.

Would be a shame if Dier misses out against Liverpool though, the kind of game we need him in. So hopefully he can stay away from getting a yellow against Swansea, obviously no way we can rest him for that one.

Could, and perhaps should, get a break against Monaco though. Only, or one of very few at least, to start all our four last games in all competitions. Another two coming quickly might be asking a bit much?

He's 8/1 to be in the Euro 2016 squad.

Saying that, Alli is 5/1

What's that, a year after he got stick from the press for declining to join up with the England u21 squad to instead stay with us and train under Poch for an extra couple of weeks. And a couple of months after he was judged not good enough to be in the squad for the u21 England team this summer...

Isn't that just a different, slightly hyperbolic way of saying that Kane has had a poor goal return so far this season over a small sample size?

The DM position can be good place for younger players to bed in. The pressure is off to be creative. You can play simple balls, and ease yourself in; so long as you have lots of energy and break up play. Maybe its Dier's football schooling in Portugal but he's very comfortable on the ball, and he's passed the ball really well so far.

Last edited:
do we still want all these players we are linked with?

I actually still think am experienced midfielder is something we need. Especially as we move towards the end of season when the team may need a lift to get us through a tricky spell or see us over the line without crumbling.

I mean, who knows how the next 3 months will go, Alli has been amazing, Mason looked good and then injured instantly, bentaleb has lots of ability. But I think Dier and an experienced midfielder. Bentaleb and Mason as back up. Move Alli to the attacking positions. Although we have a lot of talent, I still worry about mentality and experience over a season. Though it could be completely unfounded.

I really think his future has to be in midfield first and foremost, to bring in a replacement that will fit in as well as Eric is playing right now will cost serious money

Sure you can accuse me of getting carried away but seriously guys, if James Milne or Fabian Delph can start for England I gotta say it ain't a very high bar, then so can Eric

Back