• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

It's my opinion, you may not share that and think he is brilliant and a great CB.

Just wanted to clarify it is your opinion, and of course, all good. Was just a bit thrown when you said 'glaringly obvious' after '350 games'. You can see it looks a bit odd without the added context?

Other than Romero, he's the only one of our CBs I would keep for next season (I class Davies as a FB). But not as first choice.

Get another left sided first choice to partner Romero, and then use Dier and a new upcoming youngster as the two cover options.

To me it's a much bigger priority to get a clear upgrade that will mean Dier is a rotation option than tie Dier down to new contract

Not sure i see the logic. If anything getting a new cb in first might mean dier doesn't sign a new contract.

I don't see why we can't do both?

Not sure i see the logic. If anything getting a new cb in first might mean dier doesn't sign a new contract.

I don't see why we can't do both?

We can do both, but getting an upgrade is the priority for me. After all, why wouldn't Dier sign a new contract? Where will he go otherwise? I doubt any other top 4/6 challenging side would take him after all...

I'm all for having options etc, but if we are thinking we have to sign Dier up BEFORE we sign a player that makes us less reliant on him and his often erratic form then that shows why we have that label we seem to have...

We can do both, but getting an upgrade is the priority for me. After all, why wouldn't Dier sign a new contract? Where will he go otherwise? I doubt any other top 4/6 challenging side would take him after all...

I'm all for having options etc, but if we are thinking we have to sign Dier up BEFORE we sign a player that makes us less reliant on him and his often erratic form then that shows why we have that label we seem to have...

I suspect the issue is this summer, we get rid of Tanganga, Sanchez, Rodon and probably will let Lenglet go back (unless we get a real cheap option)

That's 4 CB's out (with only Romero & Davies left), making sure Dier is locked up is just making sure we have some cover

I assume though you look at what you have now and then look at who would be first out the door if a new player came in, as much as there is a downer on Dier both Tanga and Sanchez are before him to leave which mean if we signed a new CB Dier would be first reserve on the bench so why not sign him up. Thats based on the fact we are unlikely to sign two top class CBs one for the first team and one for the bench

I suspect the issue is this summer, we get rid of Tanganga, Sanchez, Rodon and probably will let Lenglet go back (unless we get a real cheap option)

That's 4 CB's out (with only Romero & Davies left), making sure Dier is locked up is just making sure we have some cover
I assume though you look at what you have now and then look at who would be first out the door if a new player came in, as much as there is a downer on Dier both Tanga and Sanchez are before him to leave which mean if we signed a new CB Dier would be first reserve on the bench so why not sign him up. Thats based on the fact we are unlikely to sign two top class CBs one for the first team and one for the bench

I get both your points, i just don't see why the relative 'rush' to sign Dier...i'd have waited until we got that next player first. Knowing how things have been, i start to wonder whether we will actually sign that CB after all (or at least one that is CLEARLY better than Dier, Davies etc)

I get both your points, i just don't see why the relative 'rush' to sign Dier...i'd have waited until we got that next player first. Knowing how things have been, i start to wonder whether we will actually sign that CB after all (or at least one that is CLEARLY better than Dier, Davies etc)

I would lay alot of money on the fact that we sign a new high quality CB in the summer personally

Hunch based on what was said last summer when we went for players and then decided not to take a lesser CB when they fell through, but loan one till the right one came available.

I also have a hunch we might have done a precontract in jan for one. We'll see. Bastoni is still refusing a contract also.

If Conte was to stay I fully expect Bastoni to sign TBH
Pants would be creamed if this were the case.
I feel like we're pretty strong (at least on paper) with the team now, except CB. I think it's logical to have a hunch that we'll go big for a CB this summer and it should more or less give Conte a complete team for next season (if he sticks around).

I still think we should go for Scalvini too, but maybe with option for loan-back for one more season. That way we'll have CB sorted for the next decade, or when Real decide to engage in their "special relationship" with us again. LB/LWB will be covered, we actually look good at RB/RWB. Just RW would be the other position that needs boosting. If Kane goes, we have Richarlison and would just need another backup option there.

Maybe it's just a matter of focus. We have the resource to negotiate new contracts for existing players whilst the season is ongoing, but during and closer to transfer windows the attention of Paratici and team are rightly focused elsewhere. If it has been decided we want to offer Dier a new deal, then why not negotiate it now?

Back