• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Well the defence was organized but I think its due more Conte's tactics IMO. But yeah credit to the entire defence and midfield that kept Emirates Marketing Project out.
Why weren’t they organised on the previous games then?
It forms from having a player communicate which doenst happen when Dier isn’t playing
He isn’t the best CB but he is the only guy in defence who takes charge of the defence

It forms from having a player communicate which doenst happen when Dier isn’t playing
He isn’t the best CB but he is the only guy in defence who takes charge of the defence

But that alone won't solve it ... long term would love to sign a vocal player with great defensive capabilities

I mean that’s what Dier is showing right now when he plays but….

But his previous shows that he is not a top top defender and can get caught out easier than the pedigree of say Alderwierald, Vertonghen to name a few.

Look I'm all for him fighting the cause and helping out due to a lack of options, but he's the best we got at the moment. I would like to see someone come in and give him a run for his money. It makes the squad better and ultimately Spurs benefit.

But his previous shows that he is not a top top defender and can get caught out easier than the pedigree of say Alderwierald, Vertonghen to name a few.

Look I'm all for him fighting the cause and helping out due to a lack of options, but he's the best we got at the moment. I would like to see someone come in and give him a run for his money. It makes the squad better and ultimately Spurs benefit.
Agree with the latter for sure but he is one of those players that some fans won’t change their opinion

Agree with the latter for sure but he is one of those players that some fans won’t change their opinion

Maybe too much previous. I've given him pelters (online) when he has looked shocking, but also have said fair play when he has played well.

We definitely need more options at the back. If we can find someone better than what we already have I'm all for it, but let's see.

Let's also see what we think of Dier when he's had more time in this role which seems to suit him very well.

Emirates Marketing Project was 5 at the back. CBs were safe.
Previous two wingbacks were punching higher and exposing the CBs.
That said mixing around the CBs is always risky.

Emirates Marketing Project was 5 at the back. CBs were safe.
Previous two wingbacks were punching higher and exposing the CBs.
That said mixing around the CBs is always risky.
The wing backs weren’t Hugh vs wolves or Southampton
Hell we were pegged back by Southampton for most of the game
What was clear in those games was the defence wasn’t organised and no one took charge if the defence to remind them of the basics

The wing backs weren’t Hugh vs wolves or Southampton

None of our wingbacks has (have?) been Hugh this season, or any other season, so far as I can recall.

In fact, apart from Hughie Gallacher (who I may just have made up), I can't think of any top-flight players named Hugh.

I'll get m' coat.

Sanchez played. [emoji102][emoji6]

Dier has mostly been good this season and the 5 at the back helps mask his deficiencies and a system is always at its best when it makes the best of the players rather than exposes them. In a 2 he's a different player and thats where most of the criticism has come from.

Saying that in the 3 there is a significant difference between Sanchez and Dier. The centre position suits Dier as he's more assured on the ball, and a bit less likely to do something brain-dead (still possible)[emoji28]. His form is making the need for 2 new CBs much less pressing. We could possibly get away with just getting a LCB in the summer if his form keeps up.

Last edited:
Sanchez played.

Dier has mostly been good this season and the 5 at the back helps mask his deficiencies and a system is always at its best when it makes the best of the players rather than exposes them. In a 2 he's a different player and thats where most of the criticism has come from.

Saying that in the 3 there is a significant difference between Sanchez and Dier. The centre position suits Dier as he's more assured on the ball, and a bit less likely to do something brain-dead (still possible)[emoji28]. His form is making the need for 2 new CBs much less pressing. We could possibly get away with just getting a LCB in the summer if his form keeps up.
It’s scary the impact Sanchez has because the guy can’t pass

It’s scary the impact Sanchez has because the guy can’t pass
Sanchez is such a frustrating player, he can have games or even a run of games liking solid and doing the right things but one mistake and he goes to pieces and falls apart. Then add his fear of the ball it's just not a player suited to how we want to play. We need decisive players, Sanchez dithers too much. He knows he's brick on the ball and it plays on his mind.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

None of our wingbacks has (have?) been Hugh this season, or any other season, so far as I can recall.

In fact, apart from Hughie Gallacher (who I may just have made up), I can't think of any top-flight players named Hugh.

I'll get m' coat.
What about the guy we signed from Wolves, Hugh Jerrors?

Sanchez is such a frustrating player, he can have games or even a run of games liking solid and doing the right things but one mistake and he goes to pieces and falls apart. Then add his fear of the ball it's just not a player suited to how we want to play. We need decisive players, Sanchez dithers too much. He knows he's brick on the ball and it plays on his mind.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
I think it’s a confidence thing with him

we have seen him have some very good games and some shockers in quite a small window

I think it’s a confidence thing with him

we have seen him have some very good games and some shockers in quite a small window

I guess what happens in the summer will tell us more about what Conte thinks.

For me his lack of quality on the ball pretty much always shines through. Better periods, worse periods. But very rarely crisp, sharp, purposeful passing or comfortable under pressure. For some games that's less of an issue than others, but overall it impacts the way we play negatively too much.

I guess what happens in the summer will tell us more about what Conte thinks.

For me his lack of quality on the ball pretty much always shines through. Better periods, worse periods. But very rarely crisp, sharp, purposeful passing or comfortable under pressure. For some games that's less of an issue than others, but overall it impacts the way we play negatively too much.

When we are up against reasonable quality managers and opposition, you'd have to expect they would target him as a weak point.
That needs to be removed from our team - either through coaching or a transfer.

When we are up against reasonable quality managers and opposition, you'd have to expect they would target him as a weak point.
That needs to be removed from our team - either through coaching or a transfer.

Yes. But even if he isn't directly targeted... All our three goals against City involved very good play from our defenders. Ball from Davies for the opener. Ball from Royal for the second. Several of our defenders for the third.

Quite simply we don't score those goals if those passes aren't of the required very high quality.

It's not like Sanchez is incapable of those passes of course. But having players capable of seeing the passes, sufficient composure under pressure and the quality to play the passes more often is obviously a solid boost. And required for us to take the next step imo.

Yes. But even if he isn't directly targeted... All our three goals against City involved very good play from our defenders. Ball from Davies for the opener. Ball from Royal for the second. Several of our defenders for the third.

Quite simply we don't score those goals if those passes aren't of the required very high quality.

It's not like Sanchez is incapable of those passes of course. But having players capable of seeing the passes, sufficient composure under pressure and the quality to play the passes more often is obviously a solid boost. And required for us to take the next step imo.
Totally in agreement with you.
It's a deficiency in both defence and attack to have a player like this who can too-frequently lapse with a crucial error but also restrict our options when building from the back.

Back