• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Fbn90SNaIAEKKvh

Don't think that the favoured first 11 will be the same at the end of the season as it was first game.
Pool and united have added 1 starter who may be better than they had… and that’s debatable
Arsenal have added 3 which helps them but their squad is weak as
City have added quality but won’t get much better because their bar was so high
fudge knows with Chelsea… can’t really tell
Us… we will see who he trusts now. Conte is happy with what he has which he wasn’t, quite clearly last year

Pool and united have added 1 starter who may be better than they had… and that’s debatable
Arsenal have added 3 which helps them but their squad is weak as
City have added quality but won’t get much better because their bar was so high
fudge knows with Chelsea… can’t really tell
Us… we will see who he trusts now. Conte is happy with what he has which he wasn’t, quite clearly last year
I think it's really hard to tell just from spending (although it has provided a good guide in the past) as it's hard to quantify if (for example) a younger player or from a lower division steps up to be first XI material.
An example would be Liverpool, TAA and Robertson probably saved them £100m. Kane similar for us. Saliba could be great for the goons etc.
Personally I think the manager is more important these days than ever. And decent ones are thin on the ground. They are the ones to make sense of it all, improve players of all levels. Plenty of clubs can pour money into a hole...United Villa Everton...and our own Conte has stated, referring to us, you can't make mistakes in the transfer market.
We obviously have a good one, we just need to keep giving him what he asks for, it's really then on him to deliver.

Fwiw...Im not convinced by Arteta or Ten Haag....so the money will only help so much.

I think it's really hard to tell just from spending (although it has provided a good guide in the past) as it's hard to quantify if (for example) a younger player or from a lower division steps up to be first XI material.
An example would be Liverpool, TAA and Robertson probably saved them £100m. Kane similar for us. Saliba could be great for the goons etc.
Personally I think the manager is more important these days than ever. And decent ones are thin on the ground. They are the ones to make sense of it all, improve players of all levels. Plenty of clubs can pour money into a hole...United Villa Everton...and our own Conte has stated, referring to us, you can't make mistakes in the transfer market.
We obviously have a good one, we just need to keep giving him what he asks for, it's really then on him to deliver.

Fwiw...Im not convinced by Arteta or Ten Haag....so the money will only help so much.
The cult of Arteta would strike you down for that

Oh man, this chart.
The red TOTAL columns are fine.
But the yellow "per year average" is (a) not aligned to the y-axis, should be much lower because (b) it is simply the red column divided by 5. Big wow. No use at all.

Would be more interesting if you could factor in wages and income and Fair Play i.e. can Man Utd sustain that, can Wet Spam, can Forest etc.

Oh man, this chart.
But the yellow "per year average" is (a) not aligned to the y-axis, should be much lower because (b) it is simply the red column divided by 5. Big wow. No use at all.

Would be more interesting if you could factor in wages and income and Fair Play i.e. can Man Utd sustain that, can Wet Spam, can Forest etc.

Fair play rules change next year for uefa, the prem looking to follow suit.
https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/uefa-unveil-new-ffp-rules.11361/

Has some graphs showing the wages and amortisation for prem teams.

Oh man, this chart.

Yeah the yellow is a waste of time agreed - it does show however that we are spending competitively since moving in to the stadium. Something a couple of vociferous posters on here were adamant would not be the case.

And that's with18/19, the oldest of the 5 seasons recorded in the graph, being the year we made no signings at all - factor that in and we're probably 2nd biggest spenders, in terms of net transfers, since the stadium move.

A good sign of where we are as a club.

Last edited:
The one thing that shows is we (and especially Utd and Arsenal) have made some really poor signings.
Conte hit the tickle my balls with a feather when he said we can't make more mistakes with transfers.

Everyone makes mistakes? Yes, but not to the extent Utd, Arsenal and we have over the last few years.
Over 25% of our spend was on two players that turned out to be total flops, that we will make big loses on.
We can't afford to make mistake like that if we want to get closer to City.
IMO the bigger problem has been having no coherent footballing strategy. Neither Lo Celso or Ndombele are bad players but when you lurch from a manager with a specific style of play to another manager with a completely different specific style of play then it is natural that players signed under manager A could be a very bad fit under manager B. Gill will be another big waste of money for us for this reason, we’ve spent big money on a left winger only to then get a manager who has no idea for a left winger.

IMO the bigger problem has been having no coherent footballing strategy. Neither Lo Celso or Ndombele are bad players but when you lurch from a manager with a specific style of play to another manager with a completely different specific style of play then it is natural that players signed under manager A could be a very bad fit under manager B. Gill will be another big waste of money for us for this reason, we’ve spent big money on a left winger only to then get a manager who has no idea for a left winger.
Agree that we need to have a more consistent style of play from manager to manager. However, Ndombele (and to a lesser extent Lo Celso) is a really poor player.
Ability wise, yes he's got it all, but attitude stinks and that has nothing to do with the style of play. I watched a couple of his loan games with Lyon and his attitude there was just as bad.
He was a waste of money. Gil has done nothing to suggest he is up to the standard we need, another (slightly better) Jack Clarke.
Since the first couple of years under Poch our transfers have been more miss than hit up until Paratici joined.

Back