• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

What's the part of the world braineclipse is from got to do with it?

A stupid belief is a stupid belief no matter where in the world or what culture that person is from. And there is no equating the two - a blowie from a ginger is a real thing, no matter how disgusting and evil it is (sorry gingers), juju is just made up nonsense.

Oreintlism and the exotification of the other are academic western discourses. The belittling other cultures as a way to justify a sense of superiority and thus in the past colonialism and now neo colonialism. Are so ingrained in our culture they have become part of our collective consciousness (in a way). So we hear the word juju, something that I would guess 99% of this board know next to nothing about and emmediately its a source of ridicule and humour.

PS there are some sexy ginger woman out there.... And so few of them its kind of exotic:)

My days

who are you?

100% agree

That's like the third time we have been on EXACTLY the same wavelength!!...

Brain is a logical modern type intellectual guy. He'll laugh off most things that arent tangible or have an element of science to it. I wouldnt take it too personally or seriously. iTs not as if his views are the only ones around

Seriously? You're the last person I thought would agree with this.

BE and I are laughing off Ade's beliefs as ridiculous (my word, not his). Just as I would any ridiculous belief from any culture.

DTA is, as far as I can tell, saying something along the lines of "How could we intelligent westerners expect Ade to know any better? He only one of those dumb African types"

Oreintlism and the exotification of the other are academic western discourses. The belittling other cultures as a way to justify a sense of superiority and thus in the past colonialism and now neo colonialism. Are so ingrained in our culture they have become part of our collective consciousness (in a way). So we hear the word juju, something that I would guess 99% of this board know next to nothing about and emmediately its a source of ridicule and humour.

PS there are some sexy ginger woman out there.... And so few of them its kind of exotic:)

I think you've entirely misrepresented both of our arguments there.

You've been on this board long enough to know that both of us hold each and every mystical/religious belief in equal disdain. That's nothing to do with culture and everything to do with believing stupid sh1t.

BE and I are laughing off Ade's beliefs as ridiculous (my word, not his). Just as I would any ridiculous belief from any culture.

DTA is, as far as I can tell, saying something along the lines of "How could we intelligent westerners expect Ade to know any better? He only one of those dumb African types"

That's really not what I'm saying and you know it, I'm saying why ridicule what anyone believes.... And I'm saying to do so is an inherently academic western discourse.

That's really not what I'm saying and you know it, I'm saying why ridicule what anyone believes.... And I'm saying to do so is an inherently academic western discourse.

It's an inherently acedemic discourse, I'm not sure I'd describe it as Western. There's a very good reason for ridiculing all silly beliefs - it makes the next generation so much less likely to believe in it. By doing so you've helped marginalise what was common belief and helped improve the lives of a generation.

Maybe I'm being a bit dim, but was does the shamanistic religions/cultures being 'light years' ahead of the west in terms of recycling and reuse and balanced ecology have to do with the naturalistic fallacy?

From your article:

"In defense of ethical non-naturalism, Moore's argument is concerned with the semantic and metaphysical underpinnings of ethics. In general, opponents of ethical naturalism reject ethical conclusions drawn from natural facts."

Semantics?

Maybe I'm being a bit dim, but was does the shamanistic religions/cultures being 'light years' ahead of the west in terms of recycling and reuse and balanced ecology have to do with the naturalistic fallacy?

From your article:

"In defense of ethical non-naturalism, Moore's argument is concerned with the semantic and metaphysical underpinnings of ethics. In general, opponents of ethical naturalism reject ethical conclusions drawn from natural facts."

Semantics?

It's a false (mainly modern and, you'll like this, Western!) belief that something is inherently good or better because it's natural.

It's an inherently acedemic discourse, I'm not sure I'd describe it as Western. There's a very good reason for ridiculing all silly beliefs - it makes the next generation so much less likely to believe in it. By doing so you've helped marginalise what was common belief and helped improve the lives of a generation.

I think you are smart enough to know you are being obtuse there, either that or naive (why I find hard to believe you are). Perhaps look in to so called 'scientific racism' (that was an actual thing guys) and see how it was used to justify colonalism

I think you are smart enough to know you are being obtuse there, either that or naive (why I find hard to believe you are). Perhaps look in to so called 'scientific racism' (that was an actual thing guys) and see how it was used to justify colonalism

You're missing the point entirely.

Some people may have used the ridicule of some beliefs in the process of colonialism. Some of them probably did it wearing really nice coats.

I wore a really nice coat to work today, does that mean I came to work to colonise parts of Africa?

No just agreeing that there are cultures and beliefs outside the ones from western civilizations that have been around much longer than current western culture have been and that , well you know , probably deserve a little bit of respect

Make no mistakes that there are cultures i dont get at all, but if its someone else's culture and belief who am i mark them down for it ?

"He only one of those dumb African types"

i missed that inference...i probably need to go a few more pages back

you do realise that if thats not what he was saying then thats just a portrayal of your natural mental filter on either adebayor or topics like this.

Are you are arguing against, recycling re use and a balanced ecology then?

I'm arguing that the modern, western version that's mostly based in fact and science will be far better an more effective than one based in woo.

No just agreeing that there are cultures and beliefs outside the ones from western civilizations that have been around much longer than current western culture have been and that , well you know , probably deserve a little bit of respect

Make no mistakes that there are cultures i dont get at all, but if its someone else's culture and belief who am i mark them down for it ?

"He only one of those dumb African types"

i missed that inference...i probably need to go a few more pages back

There was never that inference at all, just scara trying to derail/ deflect from the fact that I called him and braineclipse out on their elitest attitudes to other cultures/religions.

Not that I should have to say this, but since scara is deliberately misrepresenting what I said, and that has put doubts in your mind
For what its worth my own people came from a shamistic back ground in central Asia and the modern interpretation of our now monolithic religion still contains elements of this. This is also the case for the majority of people decended from the uk, as the celts were also shamistic, and in terms of the Celts the historians believe their systems to look after the old, disabled etc have only been matched by the ' modern world' in the last 100 years or so, that's a lot of going backward to go forward

My days

who are you?

100% agree

That's like the third time we have been on EXACTLY the same wavelength!!...

Brain is a logical modern type intellectual guy. He'll laugh off most things that arent tangible or have an element of science to it. I wouldnt take it too personally or seriously. iTs not as if his views are the only ones around

Yeah, I prefer things with a basis in reality.

Practices, the same shamanistic religions and cultures that have been possibly 1000s of years ahead of the west in terms of recycling and reuse, ecological balance etc....

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with spellcasting/juju/whatevers?

When did I ridicule "religions and cultures" as a whole? I was talking about one specific belief! As a basis for humor no less. I think there are positive and negative aspects to many cultures, the same for religions (although perhaps more negative comparatively). Pointing out one negative aspect of one culture is not the same as ridiculing all of that culture, related cultures and all of their views. Your argument is a complete straw man.

Why?

For humor? For entertainment? For education? For progress?

Go ahead, say cultural relativism...

You're just wrong on this being an inherently academic western discourse.

it's not as simple as that, all cultures have a history of resource re-use, but as is always the case, convenience will always win

You're missing the point entirely.

Some people may have used the ridicule of some beliefs in the process of colonialism. Some of them probably did it wearing really nice coats.

I wore a really nice coat to work today, does that mean I came to work to colonise parts of Africa?

So I give you 'scientific racism' and you give me shiny coats.... Interesting.

Yeah, I prefer things with a basis in reality.

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with spellcasting/juju/whatevers?

When did I ridicule "religions and cultures" as a whole? I was talking about one specific belief! As a basis for humor no less. I think there are positive and negative aspects to many cultures, the same for religions (although perhaps more negative comparatively). Pointing out one negative aspect of one culture is not the same as ridiculing all of that culture, related cultures and all of their views. Your argument is a complete straw man.

Why?

For humor? For entertainment? For education? For progress?

Go ahead, say cultural relativism...

You're just wrong on this being an inherently academic western discourse.

Your post would be 100% correct (maybe) if you were an expert in JuJu, are you?

If not my point stands and the fact that you can't even see that just reinforces it....

Back