• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

We keep hearing how Poch is unafraid to drop under performing players, Ade has been poor all season perhaps with the exception of qpr at home which wasnt really a contest, even in that game which I went to his body language was not great at times.

He should start on Thursday to be given an immediate opportunity at redemption, if the outcome is the usual dross that he has served up this season, then he can have no complaints when he is dropped for the Southampton game.

Strong feelings here but I genuinely believe that we are handicapping ourselves by playing him, against Sunderland he was useless, a game where if we had a competent striker the three points would have been wrapped up. Imagine what we could do with another player in the team because it really is like playing with 10 with him in the side.!!

I know football can be fickle, I could be declaring my undying love for him if he bags the winner in the NLD at the Lane later in the season, yet how I feel at the moment I cannot wait for the day that this player has left our club, its not lack of ability or not having the tools to do a decent job, its his selfish attitude and lack of team ethic that I hate!

Roll on A A (after Adebayor)

Funnily enough i don't think Adebayor is a lazy or selfish player. Infact, he always works hard. I just think that he's a streaky player. One day nothing sticks and he miscontrols simple shots and balls, but on another day he will be Bergkampesque.

I don't think he makes particularly intelligent runs either a lot of the time. Sometimes he works too hard, he moves around too much outside the box leaving nobody in it. He could do with just lurking around the penalty spot more often like e.g. Diego Costa does.

Too often Ade comes deep or wide to get involved in the build-up and leaves the box vacant. Chadli's runs from deep have helped this situation somewhat this season, but I actually think if Ade was more selfish and less hard working he'd actually be a better player.

When he proves his point he goes back to being ordinary, that's the problem. Resting on his laurels.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I'd be willing to go with Kane or Soldado against the Saints. Ade just hasn't offered enough so far this season.

I just dont get this. What do you guys think Soldado will offer over ade? He isnt suites to playing up top on his own. Kane may be an alternative bit really we are 5 or 6 games in ade has scored one set up 2? He is still recovering from malaria which can recur and leave a player fatigued. Honestly this reminds me of the clamour to replace dawson. Our defence was still ****e when he didnt play. Its like a hankering after a player WHO hasnt played for a while and setting him up as the answer. Perhaps it would be verter to suggest a system change playing Kane AND soldado or ade AND soldado then I could come on bises with that. But all the evidence suggests swapping one striker for another will not make any difference.

A lot if sense in what robspur12 says. I ain't no fan if Ade and I prefer Soldado but I think it runs deeper than personnel alone. We haven't hit on a system or combination up front to get the best out of any of our strikers.
We also need to take into account that two (Ade and ericksen) of our front four are a bit out of form.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I just dont get this. What do you guys think Soldado will offer over ade? He isnt suites to playing up top on his own. Kane may be an alternative bit really we are 5 or 6 games in ade has scored one set up 2? He is still recovering from malaria which can recur and leave a player fatigued. Honestly this reminds me of the clamour to replace dawson. Our defence was still ****e when he didnt play. Its like a hankering after a player WHO hasnt played for a while and setting him up as the answer. Perhaps it would be verter to suggest a system change playing Kane AND soldado or ade AND soldado then I could come on bises with that. But all the evidence suggests swapping one striker for another will not make any difference.

You could well be right, but you cant say for certain. Just want to see if Soldado can perform better than last season, like others in the squad have done to date. Haven't got anything to lose at the moment, as Ade isnt really showing anything....

Haven't got anything to lose at the moment, as Ade isnt really showing anything....
Yes we do, and yes he is. Furthermore, they are different players with different attributes. It wouldn't be a 'straight swap' (like maybe a Benteke-type player would, if we had one), and we'd need to change the way we set up, maybe formation and players, and have a different game plan in training that week and on match day. I'm not saying we should never do it, but if we play with a lone striker then they have different skill sets and so its not quite as simple as some make out. It could well be part of the reason they haven't been more rotated/interchangeable in the 1st eleven than they have.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long it takes to fully recover from a bout of malaria?
He obviously had a mild bout in the summer and it probably set him back 2-3 weeks in terms of pre-season prep. Could make a big difference in Poch's setup.

I think he's had good and bad games so far this season. I was at the Sunderland game and there was a difference of opinion in the ground on his performance - some of us thought he was good, others not so. I thought he looked superb for 70-75 mins and totally bossed their centre-halves before running out of steam and beginning to fall over in the box when in good positions. He looked totally dead on his feet and was replaced by Harry Kane who didn't offer as much physical presence up top so we struggled to create as much and get out - hence the equaliser and almost conceding a winner.

On the flip side I thought he was incredibly poor at home to West Brom and offered very very little. At the Emirates he was slightly better but not much - still poor overall. That said for most of the match we were camped in our own half with 10 men behind the ball and asking him to hold it up on his own - something he can do but still a big ask nevertheless. I wouldn't have fancied Soldado in that role - he didn't look clever against Forest at home.

I suspect its a slow start to the season and in the next few weeks his form will pick up, in the meantime we'll likely see flashes from him as up at Sunderland but not consistency.

Well said. There are some darn good points in there.

Does anyone know how long it takes to fully recover from a bout of malaria?
He obviously had a mild bout in the summer and it probably set him back 2-3 weeks in terms of pre-season prep. Could make a big difference in Poch's setup.

I think he's had good and bad games so far this season. I was at the Sunderland game and there was a difference of opinion in the ground on his performance - some of us thought he was good, others not so. I thought he looked superb for 70-75 mins and totally bossed their centre-halves before running out of steam and beginning to fall over in the box when in good positions. He looked totally dead on his feet and was replaced by Harry Kane who didn't offer as much physical presence up top so we struggled to create as much and get out - hence the equaliser and almost conceding a winner.

On the flip side I thought he was incredibly poor at home to West Brom and offered very very little. At the Emirates he was slightly better but not much - still poor overall. That said for most of the match we were camped in our own half with 10 men behind the ball and asking him to hold it up on his own - something he can do but still a big ask nevertheless. I wouldn't have fancied Soldado in that role - he didn't look clever against Forest at home.

I suspect its a slow start to the season and in the next few weeks his form will pick up, in the meantime we'll likely see flashes from him as up at Sunderland but not consistency.
That's a top post there with some excellent points

That's a top post there with some excellent points

I'd counter that post by asking one question - If he is still suffering as a result of Malaria should he be allowed to play PL football? Rather than just putting his feet up for 90 minutes should he not be ruled out for a certain period of time?

I'd counter that post by asking one question - If he is still suffering as a result of Malaria should he be allowed to play PL football? Rather than just putting his feet up for 90 minutes should he not be ruled out for a certain period of time?
I would have thought that's down to the manager and the medical staff.

Maybe Poch does not see Soldado or Kane as proper number 9s and his system requires that. Hence he plays Ade because that is all he has available in his preferred system.

Maybe Poch does not see Soldado or Kane as proper number 9s and his system requires that. Hence he plays Ade because that is all he has available in his preferred system.

He had 2 months before 1.9.14 to address this if this was indeed the case.

Not disputing that and I do believe a real number 9 as backup to Ade or the development of Kane in to this position will be something Poch will be thinking about.

Concerns me about Soldado though. I really do want him to succeed. Not sure how, unless he tears it up in Europa league as a lone striker.

Not disputing that and I do believe a real number 9 as backup to Ade or the development of Kane in to this position will be something Poch will be thinking about.

Concerns me about Soldado though. I really do want him to succeed. Not sure how, unless he tears it up in Europa league as a lone striker.

Must confess to not knowing......did Soldado play as a lone striker for Valencia? Yes his start with us hasn't been ideal but I'd just like to see him given 5/6 starts in a row to see how he does.

We can't afford to pay Ade's wages and that of a direct replacement - he's already taking up 3 wage slots.

If Ade refuses to take a pay cut at another club (and barring City or Chelsea wanting him he'll have to) then there's nothing we can do. Especially if the chairman takes a stance of "If we're paying him we have to play him".

Must confess to not knowing......did Soldado play as a lone striker for Valencia? Yes his start with us hasn't been ideal but I'd just like to see him given 5/6 starts in a row to see how he does.
He played and scored in a number of different systems in Spain.

Back