• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

i agree that the issue should be:
is the current first choice doing enough to keep his place in the team?

rather than: is the back up doing enough to force his way in?

in that respect Adebayor isn't doing enough to keep his place in the team (IMV) so we should be giving either Kane or Soldado a chance.

the only time the second question is relevant is if the first choice is doing well but the back up is doing even better/ripping **** up when played in the cups/off the subs bench, then you're asking whether he's doing enough to warrant replacing a player already performing well.

i don't agree that Adebayor was that bad against Arsenal though - first half he done pretty well, the sitter he missed aside. second half we were backs to the wall for large portions so he was pretty isolated, not sure Messi would have fared any better in that situation

Whichver side of the fence you sit, we're stuck with him til January at least.

So then the question is do you prefer Kane, Soldado or Adebayor? Only one of them has anything like a good record of scoring goals in the Premier League as a lone striker, and that is Adebayor -- which, along with his physical attributes, is surely why Poch is giving him the nod at the minute.

If he keeps playing poorly and not scoring, then he will lose his place and rightly so. But on this board, Kaboul was finished just the other week wasn't he? We all write-off players and then they put a few performances in and make us look like idiots.

Adebayor ain't gonna perform like Suarez, but he'll probably get us though the next transfer window or two, when we'll sign the next man to lead the line.

Or we can just use Chadli... (I like to repeat this at the moment :lol: )

The problem with Ade this season is -

He has been failing to hold the ball up

He seems to spend too much time down the flanks instead of in the penalty background

His first touch has been poor

He has not been creating goals

He has scored just 1 league goal

i agree that issue should be - is the current first choice doing enough to keep his place in the team? rather than is the back up doing enough to force his way in? in that respect Adebayor isn't doing enough to keep his place in the team (IMV) so we should be giving either Kane or Soldado a chance.

the only time the second question is relevant is if the first choice is doing well but the back up is doing even better/ripping **** up when played in the cups/off the subs bench, then you're asking whether he's doing enough to warrant replacing a player already performing well.

i don't agree that Adebayor was that bad against Arsenal though - first half he done pretty well, the sitter he missed aside. second half we were backs to the wall for large portions so he was pretty isolated, not sure Messi would have fared any better in that situation

I forgive players not being good enough, generally it would be others to blame for that i.e. the Manager, Levy, Baldini et al... my gripe is when players dont show effort and in my view Ade didnt show much effort. We played with 10 men yesterday - with 11 we would have won that game.

Ade was a tad isolated granted but there were moments yesterday that a bit more effort would have contributed to the cause and benefitted the team

And he failed to hold the ball up on even one occasion in that second half

All well and good if he starts the next league match and has a good game, but if he has a poor game how many chances does he get before we try someone else?

I dont feel we are getting good value from Ade. He isnt performing.

He is a liability in defence (look at him give Meatsucker a clear header and same has happened before this season). He isnt using his strength, height, aerial prowess (joke!) hold up play to benefit the team. He isnt scoring or creating.

Just why are we even considering continuing with him?

I dont feel we are getting good value from Ade. He isnt performing.

He is a liability in defence (look at him give Meatsucker a clear header and same has happened before this season). He isnt using his strength, height, aerial prowess (joke!) hold up play to benefit the team. He isnt scoring or creating.

Just why are we even considering continuing with him?

I agree totally, he needs to up his game or we need to try a different option

haha this should get his attention

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...gise-for-his-poor-performance-against-Arsenal

Twice he had great chances to open the scoring in the first half. The first, had he got anything extra on his header, it would surely have gone in.

The second saw him try to round the keeper so slowly it was painful to watch.
And then there was the time in the second half when Ade was busy tying his laces for what seemed an age while his team-mates battled on without him.

i agree that the issue should be:
is the current first choice doing enough to keep his place in the team?

rather than: is the back up doing enough to force his way in?

in that respect Adebayor isn't doing enough to keep his place in the team (IMV) so we should be giving either Kane or Soldado a chance.

I think you will find you're line of thinking/rationale is both narrow and wrong. Even if Ade had a stinker, a manager still has to assess whether a replacement (however well he is playing) would among other things A) Be better, B) Give you a better chance of winning a particular game, B) Be a better fit in his system/formation C) Suit the way he wants to play against an opposing team on that particular day, D) How the replacement would fare against specific opposition central defenders, and so on, etc.

And so...when you say 'Is the back up doing enough to force his way in?'...it inherently must include, but is not limited to, what attributes that player would bring to the dance pursuant to examples I outlined, and thus is very relevant indeed to decision making. And, obviously, I think you'd find its relevant to Poch. Now, it could be that at some point he does go with Soldo, but the point is its relevant to his decision.

Last edited:
We keep hearing how Poch is unafraid to drop under performing players, Ade has been poor all season perhaps with the exception of qpr at home which wasnt really a contest, even in that game which I went to his body language was not great at times.

He should start on Thursday to be given an immediate opportunity at redemption, if the outcome is the usual dross that he has served up this season, then he can have no complaints when he is dropped for the Southampton game.

Strong feelings here but I genuinely believe that we are handicapping ourselves by playing him, against Sunderland he was useless, a game where if we had a competent striker the three points would have been wrapped up. Imagine what we could do with another player in the team because it really is like playing with 10 with him in the side.!!

I know football can be fickle, I could be declaring my undying love for him if he bags the winner in the NLD at the Lane later in the season, yet how I feel at the moment I cannot wait for the day that this player has left our club, its not lack of ability or not having the tools to do a decent job, its his selfish attitude and lack of team ethic that I hate!

Roll on A A (after Adebayor)

I genuinely believe that we are handicapping ourselves by playing him, against Sunderland he was useless, a game where if we had a competent striker the three points would have been wrapped up. Imagine what we could do with another player in the team because it really is like playing with 10 with him in the side.

Maybe we should play with no striker; we've currently got Chadli and Lamela playing wide as second strikers, supposed to assist and get goals...

Fat Sam has been rightly applauded for coming up with a new system for Wet Spam, i.e. two wide players playing as strikers, no striker in the middle, Downing as the #10 rather than out wide, it has really given the opposition something to think about.

How about it, drop the languid, lolloping, lack of belief and add someone somewhere else, e.g. 433 with no striker, just our usual Chadli Eriksen Lamela with 3 behind. Or Lennon sat inside Chadli's shirt, ready to pounce.

Maybe we should play with no striker; we've currently got Chadli and Lamela playing wide as second strikers, supposed to assist and get goals...

Fat Sam has been rightly applauded for coming up with a new system for Wet Spam, i.e. two wide players playing as strikers, no striker in the middle, Downing as the #10 rather than out wide, it has really given the opposition something to think about.

How about it, drop the languid, lolloping, lack of belief and add someone somewhere else, e.g. 433 with no striker, just our usual Chadli Eriksen Lamela with 3 behind. Or Lennon sat inside Chadli's shirt, ready to pounce.

:ross:

Does anyone know how long it takes to fully recover from a bout of malaria?
He obviously had a mild bout in the summer and it probably set him back 2-3 weeks in terms of pre-season prep. Could make a big difference in Poch's setup.

I think he's had good and bad games so far this season. I was at the Sunderland game and there was a difference of opinion in the ground on his performance - some of us thought he was good, others not so. I thought he looked superb for 70-75 mins and totally bossed their centre-halves before running out of steam and beginning to fall over in the box when in good positions. He looked totally dead on his feet and was replaced by Harry Kane who didn't offer as much physical presence up top so we struggled to create as much and get out - hence the equaliser and almost conceding a winner.

On the flip side I thought he was incredibly poor at home to West Brom and offered very very little. At the Emirates he was slightly better but not much - still poor overall. That said for most of the match we were camped in our own half with 10 men behind the ball and asking him to hold it up on his own - something he can do but still a big ask nevertheless. I wouldn't have fancied Soldado in that role - he didn't look clever against Forest at home.

I suspect its a slow start to the season and in the next few weeks his form will pick up, in the meantime we'll likely see flashes from him as up at Sunderland but not consistency.

its odd that only Redknapp and Sherwood have got the best out of Ade

ade seems to play well when he has a point to prove.

he was best for us when he was on loan from Emirates Marketing Project. then again after being banished to the reserves by AVB.

so he has always come coming back from exile on fire, maybe he's due one right now.

he was best for us when he was on loan from Emirates Marketing Project. then again after being banished to the reserves by AVB.

so he has always come coming back from exile on fire, maybe he's due one right now.

Indeed - Hence why dropping him for a good few games could work....

its odd that only Redknapp and Sherwood have got the best out of Ade

Why odd? Redknapp always got the best out of players I think. TS? I think it could be more to do with TS playing him and as others have said - Ade proving a point. If a player has to play well has to have a point to prove as his main motivation then there is some serious mental issues. It may make you play better granted, we all thrive upon that type of situation but you ought to be playing well or at the ****in least show some effort.

I'd be willing to go with Kane or Soldado against the Saints. Ade just hasn't offered enough so far this season.

Back