• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Kane wins it because he's, been our best player, scored 26+ goals, been our best passer of the ball and the only one who has been consistent through the whole of the season. Easily our player of the season, like he should've been for every season for the last 8 seasons, but probably won't get it again and yet we moan about other fans not appreciating him.

that’s a strong argument

for me, he’s not stood out, by his own standards he’s not had a vintage season

26+ goals in the league with feck all creativity around him and he's not had a vintage season???
You'd have Royal as player of the season over Kane? You're really having a wind up here

He normally gets more over a season in all competitions, he’s the best player in the league by a country mile, PotY is the new/over achievement award.

Is that taking him for granted, yeah probably, but it’s boring if you just give it to your best player every year, might as well have given it to him in August.

Otherwise, where is the need for discussion or voting?

Think he did an outrageous nutmeg second half which I'd love to see a GIF of. The shorter passing game seems to suit his touch and ball shielding.

Yeah even when we all hated him as a wing-back, I always thought he was technically good in deeper areas. Feels a bit weird that he might be getting on the ball more than any player other than Bissouma - will be interesting to see how that develops!

Think he did an outrageous nutmeg second half which I'd love to see a GIF of. The shorter passing game seems to suit his touch and ball shielding.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Emerson ⚡️ <a href="https://t.co/5qXAXPal9O">pic.twitter.com/5qXAXPal9O</a></p>&mdash; Luka (@Lukathfc) <a href=" ">August 13, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So Royal goes from a WB which was not his natural position back to a FB/inverted WB and taken that position on smoothly. Also had some intelligent movement across our box to cover so I think Ange trusts the players to be a bit more fluid in their positioning.

I do think he could have done a little better defensively to prevent crosses coming in but I get it’s just one match and I’ve been so happy with the progress he’s made. Great goal too to capitalize on a moment of confusion.

Not saying that I didn't criticise him, but never like some of the abuse and lack of chance he was getting. Let it be a lesson not to judge players, as fans we should be backing our players until they actually have shown that they cannot do a job over more than a season. And even then they should be moved on quicker as it doesn't help anyone.

I absolutely have no time for Dier as a player at spurs, and will say it on a forum, but would never boo him when watching spurs.

Not saying that I didn't criticise him, but never like some of the abuse and lack of chance he was getting. Let it be a lesson not to judge players, as fans we should be backing our players until they actually have shown that they cannot do a job over more than a season. And even then they should be moved on quicker as it doesn't help anyone.

I absolutely have no time for Dier as a player at spurs, and will say it on a forum, but would never boo him when watching spurs.

I think sometimes fans forget that these are young men moving to a country where they don’t know the culture or the language and that can be difficult to deal with even if you are as pampered as footballers are.

So Royal goes from a WB which was not his natural position back to a FB/inverted WB and taken that position on smoothly. Also had some intelligent movement across our box to cover so I think Ange trusts the players to be a bit more fluid in their positioning.

I do think he could have done a little better defensively to prevent crosses coming in but I get it’s just one match and I’ve been so happy with the progress he’s made. Great goal too to capitalize on a moment of confusion.

The high line exposed him and he was up against a particularly fast opponent. I thought he did well enough to stay with his man each time.

But as you said, expect it will improve as we get accustomed to system.

The high line exposed him and he was up against a particularly fast opponent. I thought he did well enough to stay with his man each time.

But as you said, expect it will improve as we get accustomed to system.

Yeah will be interesting to keep an eye on that - he’s not slow, but he’s not super quick either. I think his top speed is better than his acceleration. Might just need to learn to give himself a yard or two head start.

Whereas Udogie’s top speed looks outstanding!

Fluid movement is almost an understatement. I checked Udogie’s heat map yesterday and it shows almost as much action on the right as it does on the left. Unless I didn’t fully understand it. It had two green patches either side of the attacking half of the pitch.

As for Royal. I don’t think he’s awful. I want him to succeed. But we need to strengthen our right side defensively or every team we play will just get in behind on that side.

Back