• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Seen articles in the Atlantic questioning Conte for picking him every week. So it’s not just know nothing fans who are asking questions. I maintain we would be no worse off defensively with Doc and we’d be exponentially better going forward. Kane doesn’t even bother passing to him I’ve noticed and the opposition give him all the space he wants as they know he won’t deliver a telling cross more often than not. I don’t condone booing him but I also don’t see Conte getting the message any other way that fans are unhappy with Royal.

I trust Conte 100% more than the internet or the sort of people who boo their own players at a game.

Narratives are in place and I suppose it is what it is. Emerson is crap. We don't show up for first halves...obviously, sometimes these things are true. Buy when trotted after a game like yesterday's, I just know people are not watching the actual game clearly.

I won't go into Emerson today as irs old hat but even Conte has acknowledged and said we start slow and its not on, so not sure its a narrative. Yesterday was clearly a game of two halves, both sides acknowledged that and it's not just a few Spurs fans that thought it

I won't go into Emerson today as irs old hat but even Conte has acknowledged and said we start slow and its not on, so not sure its a narrative. Yesterday was clearly a game of two halves, both sides acknowledged that and it's not just a few Spurs fans that thought it

But it wasn't.
It was a pretty even first-half. We created some chances, they had some chances, we conceded a sloppy goal and then handed them a gift with the howler.
Second-half we battered them.

We have absolutely started some games too slow, but Sporting home we started very well until the soft concession which forced us into our shell, and yesterday we steadily took the game to them having ceded the first 10 mins.

Narratives are in place and I suppose it is what it is. Emerson is crap. We don't show up for first halves...obviously, sometimes these things are true. Buy when trotted after a game like yesterday's, I just know people are not watching the actual game clearly.
Some people can watch a game, in the context of a season and all the other variables of human endeavour, and react on that basis.

Some people can watch a game without that understanding and consign a player, a squad, a manager to the rubbish bin. Based on a purely emotional reaction.

Many have both. The most tactics savvy viewer can have their weekend ruined by a stupid mistake from a team.

But, to me, our current bigger picture is that we are moving in the right direction.

Kane looks up and sees Royal and avoids passing to him. I’d agree Doc doesn’t excel at beating his man but his final ball is better than Royal’s, he links up the play better and is better on the ball.

I don't think Doherty's final ball when stuck out wide is significantly better than Royal's. We watched Doherty try and fail in that role repeatedly under Mourinho.

I agree that he's better overall on the ball, his link up play and work in tight spaces is better. But when the role ends up being more of a touchline hugging, overlapping kind of thing he doesn't get to play to his strengths.

Not looking to have a go at Doherty at all. I like him, he's good when he gets to play in the right role. His best attacking play is much better than Emerson at his best. Just trying to think why it may have been that Conte has preferred Emerson to the extent that he has.

I don't think Doherty's final ball when stuck out wide is significantly better than Royal's. We watched Doherty try and fail in that role repeatedly under Mourinho.

I agree that he's better overall on the ball, his link up play and work in tight spaces is better. But when the role ends up being more of a touchline hugging, overlapping kind of thing he doesn't get to play to his strengths.

Not looking to have a go at Doherty at all. I like him, he's good when he gets to play in the right role. His best attacking play is much better than Emerson at his best. Just trying to think why it may have been that Conte has preferred Emerson to the extent that he has.

Yeah I’m not trying to build up Doherty like he is a world class RWB, he has had his problems with consistency too, but I think he did very well in the second half of last season and really made that position his. He was playing well until he got injured against Villa and for some reason seems to have fallen completely out of favour. It would be understandable if Royal had come in and performed to a high level but he hasn’t. I think most of us recognise he’s an issue, but Conte continually picks him and form doesn’t seem to matter.

Yeah I’m not trying to build up Doherty like he is a world class RWB, he has had his problems with consistency too, but I think he did very well in the second half of last season and really made that position his. He was playing well until he got injured against Villa and for some reason seems to have fallen completely out of favour. It would be understandable if Royal had come in and performed to a high level but he hasn’t. I think most of us recognise he’s an issue, but Conte continually picks him and form doesn’t seem to matter.

When he is on it Doherty makes driving runs and causes issues for the opposition, you saw it last season when he player tremendously before injury, he was adding presence and pressure to our attacks, its not just about his final ball, which is also better TBH.

Like you say we could all accept if Royal came in and made the place his own, its not an agenda, we all want our players to perform and back them to do so, but he has not and he is a problem area, we should be trying other options IMHO

That's what I'm trying to understand. Why Conte, who knows more about football than anyone of us, continually picks him. I'm assuming he has good reasons that we don't quite understand.

Everyone trusts the manager when he picks players that they rate or like.

:D sorry, far too simplistic and inaccurate a view for me.
Mourinho played players I liked and I despised him.

Personally, I wish we'd coaxed the player out of N'Dombele, maybe signed Eriksen back and would go for Maddison. I'd like to see Doherty more than I do too. There are several things Conte does that I would personally like to see changed, but the truth is the man is doing a fantastic job with his ways, and I trust him, his work, and his motives.

:D sorry, far too simplistic and inaccurate a view for me.
Mourinho played players I liked and I despised him.

Personally, I wish we'd coaxed the player out of N'Dombele, maybe signed Eriksen back and would go for Maddison. I'd like to see Doherty more than I do too. There are several things Conte does that I would personally like to see changed, but the truth is the man is doing a fantastic job with his ways, and I trust him, his work, and his motives.

I often see people use the line “if Conte is happy I’m happy” when he picks a player that they just so happen to rate. Same with our previous managers too and their team selections.

On the whole Conte has done an excellent job. He’s still got work to do and he needs more help from Paratici. That doesn’t mean he’s getting everything right.

I know there's alot of Emerson hate but going against most peoples opinions, he isn't crap! He's a decent right back and if we played a 4 I don't believe he would be getting so much stick!

BUT he definitely isn't a wingback!!!

I know there's alot of Emerson hate but going against most peoples opinions, he isn't crap! He's a decent right back and if we played a 4 I don't believe he would be getting so much stick!

I’m not sure how good a right back he is but I think most do us would agree he should be decent.
Wing back… just not capable of doing the necessary which hurts us so much

Absolutely right. If you ignore the scorelines and look at performances, we played okay first half at Bournemouth and on Sunday. Yeah we were better second half but we were decent in both first halves. Against Sporting, we were poor and against Marseilles we were poison. But all those first half performances have been condemned as terrible.

Everyone trusts the manager when he picks players that they rate or like.

I think Doherty is a better option than Royal but I trust Conte 100% for two reasons. One, he sees the players every day so he has an advantage over every fan or commentator. Secondly, he knows more about football than I ever will and sometimes you have to say, "you know what? I might be wrong on this one coz this fella knows more than me."

Conte isn't infallible but, on the balance of probabilities, he's likely to get more right than me.

You still need to be better going forwards than he is. Top teams don't have fullbacks that can't contribute in the final third and are shoddy in possession.

You still need to be better going forwards than he is. Top teams don't have fullbacks that can't contribute in the final third and are shoddy in possession.

Would be OK for a wonky with a very attacking left back, essentially making him the right sided of three defenders staying back when attacking. Which is the role I think he was originally signed for.

Can argue about that kind of wonky formation perhaps. I think it requires a lot of quality from the right sided attackers/midfielders at the very least. Likely to be vulnerable to being lopsided and lacking balance. Essentially what Manchester United tried and ultimately failed with when playing Wan Bissaka.

But yeah, the vast majority of the time at least the bigger teams need more attacking quality from full backs too.

100% agree he needs to be replaced, personally I don't rate Sess either but I guess his replacement is on loan this season in Udinese!!

I just don't enjoy the negativity directed towards certain players and however bad we think they are, it doesn't help the player or more importantly the team!

That's what I'm trying to understand. Why Conte, who knows more about football than anyone of us, continually picks him. I'm assuming he has good reasons that we don't quite understand.
I think Conte has hinted (many times) that it's what he sees during the week that makes his mind up. And that's obviously the bits we don't get to see.
He might not be totally happy with Emerson but he currently 'scores' more in Contes head, so gets the nod.
Truth be told (including his reluctance to acknowledge Spence) we're probably heading for a brand new shiny toy at RWB, and that hopefully arrives in January.

Back