• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Office monkey or not, us armchair experts know exactly what is best having watched some matches here and there, listened to some podcasts and some YouTube analysis of tactics and crucially have never lost a game at the highest(or any) level of management:D….

Eh. There's two sides to this - on the one hand, there is the risk of thinking you know better than a professional football manager, but on the other, professional managers are sometimes not making decisions any of us couldn't have made.

An example is in the Bundesliga a couple of years ago when some coach (iirc) was interviewed after a game, and the interviewer said something like 'Spielverlagerung [note: football tactics website] has outlined how you set up with three at the back to allow your players more lateral space to make line-breaking passes that bypass the first and second pressing triggers of your opponents, did that work today?'

And the coach, surprised, responded, 'Spielverlagerung thinks I do all that? They know more than me - I set up in a three because I have three good CBs, that's all!'.

Football is a simple game, and the modern tendency to ascribe a level of depth and complexity to it that may not actually exist is amusing to me. Stats have their place, but they do not magically turn a game of men and women kicking an inflated ball around into a lecture on the quantum steady state of subatomic particles.

Eh. There's two sides to this - on the one hand, there is the risk of thinking you know better than a professional football manager, but on the other, professional managers are sometimes not making decisions any of us couldn't have made.

An example is in the Bundesliga a couple of years ago when some coach (iirc) was interviewed after a game, and the interviewer said something like 'Spielverlagerung [note: football tactics website] has outlined how you set up with three at the back to allow your players more lateral space to make line-breaking passes that bypass the first and second pressing triggers of your opponents, did that work today?'

And the coach, surprised, responded, 'Spielverlagerung thinks I do all that? They know more than me - I set up in a three because I have three good CBs, that's all!'.

Football is a simple game, and the modern tendency to ascribe a level of depth and complexity to it that may not actually exist is amusing to me. Stats have their place, but they do not magically turn a game of men and women kicking an inflated ball around into a lecture on the quantum steady state of subatomic particles.
I dont agree with a lot you say but fudge me you have nailed it with this
I’ve met FA Wu.airfield coaches lecture me on how to do things …. And they have never been to a live game
I’ve heard and seen all sorts yet I sit there and just think…. You know fudge all other than wha5 the other clown shoe who knows fudge all taught you to tick a box
It’s woeful

Back to Royal, I’m not a fan, I’m actually building a dislike for him which don’t really do with our players, that’s mainly because he get picked so much while giving us so little.

However against Forest when Spence came on i noticed that he got in to the final third a couple of times with the opportunity to attack the oppositions FB which he looks like he has the the ability to do well, but instead he played that recycling pass to our player a little further back, the one that royal always seems to play… that part of Royals game has to instructions from Conte. So as much as it infuriates me, I can’t really blame him for that any longer. I mean there are other things I can blame him for, but probably not that stupid 5yard pass when he has the opportunity to attack.

Back to Royal, I’m not a fan, I’m actually building a dislike for him which don’t really do with our players, that’s mainly because he get picked so much while giving us so little.

However against Forest when Spence came on i noticed that he got in to the final third a couple of times with the opportunity to attack the oppositions FB which he looks like he has the the ability to do well, but instead he played that recycling pass to our player a little further back, the one that royal always seems to play… that part of Royals game has to instructions from Conte. So as much as it infuriates me, I can’t really blame him for that any longer. I mean there are other things I can blame him for, but probably not that stupid 5yard pass when he has the opportunity to attack.

That is probably my biggest gripe with Royal. I don't even care if he blooters his crosses out of play like he usually does - if he tries them, it at least tells me he's trying to be brave, and I can' t fault players for trying even if it never comes off.

But those cowardly shunts back to the center-backs when he's in acres of space infuriate me. And time will tell if it's a Conte thing or not - didn't notice Spence doing it much against Forest, but will keep an eye out for if our other RBs are also doing it.

Royal today was getting peoples back up even when he did some good stuff
Bloke couldn’t win but IMO okayed ok
He was really poor today with some terrible passes, the one into the centre of midfield not within 15 yards of any of our players when we were attacking springs to mind...

Royal today was getting peoples back up even when he did some good stuff
Bloke couldn’t win but IMO okayed ok
People have had enough of seeing him. Doherty is not a top RWB but is so much better than Royal. He’s painful to watch.

He might be fine as a conventional RB but he’s miles off in this system.

He made the one pass into midfield that was awful but I think the rest of his play was ok
He is limited but that’s him

I will have to watch the highlights again but him and Dier looked a calamity early on then again with Lloris. Wobbly performance but like I said earlier, all jibes aside, I'm actually starting to feel for the bloke

He made the one pass into midfield that was awful but I think the rest of his play was ok
He is limited but that’s him

I don't recall anything particularly good from him today, he should have scored. There is obviously a negative view of him from the fanbase in general and I myself have tried not to get on his case constantly like others do but he is simply not good enough and that position needs to be sorted in January as a matter of priority.

I can only hope that the RWB Conte wants wasn't available in the summer but there's a good chance of a deal in January, it seems like a massive hole in our first 11 and the Conte "system" that plays more often than not.

And I felt for him when he got subbed and it was greeted with the sarcastic cheer.

I don't recall anything particularly good from him today, he should have scored. There is obviously a negative view of him from the fanbase in general and I myself have tried not to get on his case constantly like others do but he is simply not good enough and that position needs to be sorted in January as a matter of priority.

I can only hope that the RWB Conte wants wasn't available in the summer but there's a good chance of a deal in January, it seems like a massive hole in our first 11 and the Conte "system" that plays more often than not.

And I felt for him when he got subbed and it was greeted with the sarcastic cheer.
We will got for Curasco if he doesn’t get injured in the WC

Not a bad signing at all, but very much more left sided than right I believe?

Wonder if Hakimi is still unhappy at PSG? a man can dream...
He plays both sides and we were heavily linked with him in the summer to play RWB and also cover Kulu
He is also ready made which conte wants
And of course atletico are skint

Back