• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Some of us also trust the manager when he doesn't do that because it's highly likely that the manager knows more about how to pick a football team than we do.

True but even the great managers get thing wrong and openly admit it (not all the time). But very often fans say things like that because they think it validates their own opinion of a player, Conte likes him so I must be right about him too. I don’t think it’s wrong to be behind the manager but also question some of their decisions. Nothing changes if we all just go along with the status quo and as much as I don’t endorse singling players out, at does at least let the manager know that something may not be right and might give them something to think about.

True but even the great managers get thing wrong and openly admit it (not all the time). But very often fans say things like that because they think it validates their own opinion of a player, Conte likes him so I must be right about him too. I don’t think it’s wrong to be behind the manager but also question some of their decisions. Nothing changes if we all just go along with the status quo and as much as I don’t endorse singling players out, at does at least let the manager know that something may not be right and might give them something to think about.
Oh yes, its ok to boo Royale because that will give Conte 'something to think about'. Great idea, I'm sure Conte was standing there thinking 'Jeez, Royale is looking great going forward' and then all of a sudden a load of 'fans' start getting on Royale's back and Conte thinks 'Oh wait, maybe he isn't that great going forward.' It couldn't possibly be that whilst he is not the most dynamic player, he is currently doing the job that Conte requires during what is a 'process' as he keeps referring to could it? And you clearly know very little about Conte's personality if you think Conte is going to change his opinions because of some disgruntled fans.

I really want Conte to give Spence his opportunity, but I've come to accept for whatever reason he doesnt feel he is best suited to fit into the team right now - and I know for sure Conte knows what is right at this stage of the process than I do. If you, I or anyone else had taken over the team and selections at Spurs when Conte did we would be watching the Goons have CL football right now. So whilst Conte is human and not immune to being questioned, when it comes to picking the team I'll back whatever his idea is as I know he's got a hell of a lot more right than you, me or most managers currently in the game. And there is no excuse for booing your own players, it doesnt help the player or the team and there is no justification for it.....

Oh yes, its ok to boo Royale because that will give Conte 'something to think about'. Great idea, I'm sure Conte was standing there thinking 'Jeez, Royale is looking great going forward' and then all of a sudden a load of 'fans' start getting on Royale's back and Conte thinks 'Oh wait, maybe he isn't that great going forward.' It couldn't possibly be that whilst he is not the most dynamic player, he is currently doing the job that Conte requires during what is a 'process' as he keeps referring to could it? And you clearly know very little about Conte's personality if you think Conte is going to change his opinions because of some disgruntled fans.

I really want Conte to give Spence his opportunity, but I've come to accept for whatever reason he doesnt feel he is best suited to fit into the team right now - and I know for sure Conte knows what is right at this stage of the process than I do. If you, I or anyone else had taken over the team and selections at Spurs when Conte did we would be watching the Goons have CL football right now. So whilst Conte is human and not immune to being questioned, when it comes to picking the team I'll back whatever his idea is as I know he's got a hell of a lot more right than you, me or most managers currently in the game. And there is no excuse for booing your own players, it doesnt help the player or the team and there is no justification for it.....

I never said I condoned it but if you think managers and chairmen are oblivious to fan disgruntlement then I’d suggest you are being naive. Fans getting on Nuno’s back was the final nail in his coffin and whilst I personally don’t boo players or the team in general, there are occasions when I think it is understandable at the very least. A lack of effort for example is a justification for booing a player, doesn’t apply to Royal but you said there’s no justification, I would disagree. Fans are happy to go along with a manager if it suits them which is the larger point I was making. Saw plenty of people calling for Son to be dropped in the middle of his bad spell and not many blindly backing Conte in that situation.

I never said I condoned it but if you think managers and chairmen are oblivious to fan disgruntlement then I’d suggest you are being naive. Fans getting on Nuno’s back was the final nail in his coffin and whilst I personally don’t boo players or the team in general, there are occasions when I think it is understandable at the very least. A lack of effort for example is a justification for booing a player, doesn’t apply to Royal but you said there’s no justification, I would disagree. Fans are happy to go along with a manager if it suits them which is the larger point I was making. Saw plenty of people calling for Son to be dropped in the middle of his bad spell and not many blindly backing Conte in that situation.
We wasn’t talking about chairman and when it’s to do with chairman fans are booing the team to make their voice heard not an individual player. People roundly agreed Son should be dropped and questioned why Conte kept persisting with him but still were accepting he knows best in the same way they are re Royale. There is no problem questioning Conte, but most of us acknowledge he knows what he is doing which is a nice feeling to have I think!

Point being unless as you say the masses want Conte gone which they don’t as they keep singing his name, it is counter productive booing Royale but if you think otherwise we can only disagree mate…..

That's what I'm trying to understand. Why Conte, who knows more about football than anyone of us, continually picks him. I'm assuming he has good reasons that we don't quite understand.
I think Royale does a few things that well that Conte probably likes....
He is actually pretty good at taking the ball in a tight space and getting us up the pitch.
He makes a lot of sprints getting up and back.
He plays some good vertical passes out of defence into our forwards.
He consistently gets himself to the back post on the right when we are attacking down the left wing.
He gets himself into a lot of good positions and receives the ball in these.

He has one huge weakness and that is his final delivery once he has got the ball in good positions. I wonder whether Conte thinks this is going to improve? Perhaps this has improved in training and Conte thinks it is only a matter of time before it does in the game?

I think Royale does a few things that well that Conte probably likes....
He is actually pretty good at taking the ball in a tight space and getting us up the pitch.
He makes a lot of sprints getting up and back.
He plays some good vertical passes out of defence into our forwards.
He consistently gets himself to the back post on the right when we are attacking down the left wing.
He gets himself into a lot of good positions and receives the ball in these.

He has one huge weakness and that is his final delivery once he has got the ball in good positions. I wonder whether Conte thinks this is going to improve? Perhaps this has improved in training and Conte thinks it is only a matter of time before it does in the game?
He also passes backwards before running on rather than running with the ball to gain yards and space
That’s a frustration when he has a lot of room to run into and he instead takes two touches, passes backwards, stops, then runs
I’ll also add that when we’re winning we see a very different royal. He plays with some swagger and flair. Until we’re winning he plays so cautious it’s scary

We wasn’t talking about chairman and when it’s to do with chairman fans are booing the team to make their voice heard not an individual player. People roundly agreed Son should be dropped and questioned why Conte kept persisting with him but still were accepting he knows best in the same way they are re Royale. There is no problem questioning Conte, but most of us acknowledge he knows what he is doing which is a nice feeling to have I think!

Point being unless as you say the masses want Conte gone which they don’t as they keep singing his name, it is counter productive booing Royale but if you think otherwise we can only disagree mate…..

It’s a bit of a circular argument when people trot out the “Conte knows best” line when it suits them but I digress.

Booing isn’t something I personally feel compelled to do unless I see a lack of effort which is the bare minimum I expect from any Spurs player. Having said that, I understand why it happens sometimes. People vent their frustrations in different ways, some groan, some moan to the person next to them for 90 minutes, some vote with their feet and stay away altogether. I do agree with getting behind players and it being counter productive to boo your own players but I’m genuinely curious as to how you think fans should vent their frustrations with a player or with the team?

It’s a bit of a circular argument when people trot out the “Conte knows best” line when it suits them but I digress.

Booing isn’t something I personally feel compelled to do unless I see a lack of effort which is the bare minimum I expect from any Spurs player. Having said that, I understand why it happens sometimes. People vent their frustrations in different ways, some groan, some moan to the person next to them for 90 minutes, some vote with their feet and stay away altogether. I do agree with getting behind players and it being counter productive to boo your own players but I’m genuinely curious as to how you think fans should vent their frustrations with a player or with the team?
If a player fudges up at specific points then any normal fan would groan and have a whinge and leave it at that. The team plays poorly I don’t have much of an issue with booing at full time although not something I do. But anyone with a brain cell should know that abusing our own player does not help anyone, you say you understand why it happens fair enough but I don’t - it’s purely idiotic for me…..

No mate, I disagree!!! :D

Do you think I trust the manager because it ‘validates my own opinion’? Dear GHod, I am too old for that stuff!!!! In my case, it has nothing at all to do with that. Trusting the manager means trusting him even when he picks players you don’t like, but who are part of an effort currently achieving top 4 and in the last 16 of the CL, who also got us top 4 last year. I will hinge on my Sess thing again. If AC sees it, great. I trust him. And of course a manager can, and should, be questioned sometimes. BTW, I backed Conte on Son. Just to end this, I have no problem being wrong whatsoever, never have, never will.

He also passes backwards before running on rather than running with the ball to gain yards and space
That’s a frustration when he has a lot of room to run into and he instead takes two touches, passes backwards, stops, then runs
I’ll also add that when we’re winning we see a very different royal. He plays with some swagger and flair. Until we’re winning he plays so cautious it’s scary

He looked much better with kulu and romero.

He looked much better with kulu and romero.
He looked much better in a fully confident side
But he didn’t look good until he came in after Doherty injury by which point we had the team flying. He then put in some really solid all round games and some great ones too (pool away)

He'd be exceptional in a deep-sitting back 4 in Italy. The same as he would have been in a Santo team (like he was bought for)

He'd be exceptional in a deep-sitting back 4 in Italy. The same as he would have been in a Santo team (like he was bought for)

Is that how he played for Betis? I assume they played at back 4 but never checked. I wonder how they rated him, or if they hoped to keep him.

Is that how he played for Betis? I assume they played at back 4 but never checked. I wonder how they rated him, or if they hoped to keep him.

Yes - 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 apparently.

And it seems his previous clubs saw him as primarily defensive:

“Emerson has a good defensive part [to his game] and attacks well too. But mainly the defensive part, because what we look for in a full-back is first the defensive part.” – Thiago Larghi, coach at Atletico Mineiro.

"He is a player who can get up and down, very physical, who will surely support the team a lot, both as a right full-back and a right wing-back.” – Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, former Real Betis vice president.

Have we got some kind of special relationship with Juve, they've sold us Kulu and Bentancur and will also give us money for Emerson?!

It’s like the inverse of the “special relationship” we had with Madrid.

On RWB, Conte clearly has some very different views on what it should be compared to us. That’s not to say playing Royal there means he’s the ideal RWB.

I’m more looking at his comments on Doherty. Against Brighton, most of us were really happy with Doherty. I was offensively and defensively. However, after the Everton game Conte said something along the lines of “I’m so pleased for Matt. Today, he finally looked like the player we had last season and he played the position well.”

So Conte wants something from that position that I can’t quite see. But he’s a guy who has won multiple league titles using wing backs and I’m an overweight office monkey. Who is more likely to be right?

It’s like the inverse of the “special relationship” we had with Madrid.

On RWB, Conte clearly has some very different views on what it should be compared to us. That’s not to say playing Royal there means he’s the ideal RWB.

I’m more looking at his comments on Doherty. Against Brighton, most of us were really happy with Doherty. I was offensively and defensively. However, after the Everton game Conte said something along the lines of “I’m so pleased for Matt. Today, he finally looked like the player we had last season and he played the position well.”

So Conte wants something from that position that I can’t quite see. But he’s a guy who has won multiple league titles using wing backs and I’m an overweight office monkey. Who is more likely to be right?
Office monkey or not, us armchair experts know exactly what is best having watched some matches here and there, listened to some podcasts and some YouTube analysis of tactics and crucially have never lost a game at the highest(or any) level of management:D….

Office monkey or not, us armchair experts know exactly what is best having watched some matches here and there, listened to some podcasts and some YouTube analysis of tactics and crucially have never lost a game at the highest(or any) level of management:D….

Was just talking to a lad I work with (Man U fan - good guy who knows his stuff) who coaches his kid the same way I coach mine and we were talking about how we're parents volunteering rather than proper coaches and it gets to the stage where you realise your limitations as a coach. Both of us have coached against teams who have been proper coached by lads who've done a lot of courses/badges and it shows. Their teams play like Emirates Marketing Project and batter our teams.

And he said to me "and fellas like us have the cheek to be criticising Conte and Ten Haag". :D

Was just talking to a lad I work with (Man U fan - good guy who knows his stuff) who coaches his kid the same way I coach mine and we were talking about how we're parents volunteering rather than proper coaches and it gets to the stage where you realise your limitations as a coach. Both of us have coached against teams who have been proper coached by lads who've done a lot of courses/badges and it shows. Their teams play like Emirates Marketing Project and batter our teams.

And he said to me "and fellas like us have the cheek to be criticising Conte and Ten Haag". :D
Well you might not be Conte but as a volunteer coach you’re still a step up from me so I shall know not to question your analysis on here:D….

Back