• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do we really need any more signings?

Assuming that Bale stays, the only position which we need someone is CB to replace Caulker

Clearly more top class signings are always welcome however before this window I wanted us to get:

1) a top class CF - CHECK
2) a young verstatile attacker - CHECK
3) a top class CM - CHECK

Only slight quibble is htat I wanted the CM to be a creative player however if Bale stays and we get a new CB in, then its been a bloody good window for us

Assuming that Bale stays, the only position which we need someone is CB to replace Caulker

Clearly more top class signings are always welcome however before this window I wanted us to get:

1) a top class CF - CHECK
2) a young verstatile attacker - CHECK
3) a top class CM - CHECK

Only slight quibble is htat I wanted the CM to be a creative player however if Bale stays and we get a new CB in, then its been a bloody good window for us

Agree with that. I expected a creative CM like Pjanic or a creative LF like Bernard, rather than two power players.

But really it was been pretty much a mission accomplished window.

I pretty much thinks that's it.

I was intrigued by Fryers in the friendly. If he is not the one I think perhaps a LB? Rose another option.

Probably the spending is over.

Edit: Oops, that fancy CB will probably arrive.

Last edited:
with soldado i'd prefer to see defoe off for a young striker and some cash
we still need a young CB and keeper.
and of course upgrading in any other position when the opportunity arises, but I'd prioritize getting rid of the deadwood first

I'm interested that nobody else seems to think we need a new goalkeeper as a long-term backup for Lloris (at least nobody's mentioned needing one). Is that because you think Gomes might be staying? Or that you think Jordan Archer is good enough (I don't know enough about him to make the call)? Or do you simply think there are no questions over the ability of Friedel to step in and cover us should the unthinkable happen and Lloris is out for a while?

I'm kind of assuming that Gomes is off. Am I being harsh on Friedel?

I'm interested that nobody else seems to think we need a new goalkeeper as a long-term backup for Lloris (at least nobody's mentioned needing one). Is that because you think Gomes might be staying? Or that you think Jordan Archer is good enough (I don't know enough about him to make the call)? Or do you simply think there are no questions over the ability of Friedel to step in and cover us should the unthinkable happen and Lloris is out for a while?

Friedel is fine for another year.

Friedel is fine for another year.

Some spectacular saves by the bald guy in China. He has enough for a year.

Fair enough. I felt he was a little under par when he played in the cups last season, but that's probably just rustiness. If - GHod forbid - Lloris was out for a while, then a run of games might well sort that out.

Thing is though, at some stage his form is going to start dropping. At his age, that's just biology. I'm happy to think he might have another season in him. From a risk-management standpoint, I'm not so sure.

Also, what people don't seem to consider is that a young new keeper could gain a lot by spending a year in the same team as a pro like Friedel. Though maybe Archer will draw on Friedel's experience and be the young understudy to Lloris that I think we need.

we should also be looking at one or two more fresh faces to break into the first team. i'm interested in our young strikers who seem to be banging them in .

Lloris <-- Friedel <-- Gomes

Walker <-- Naughton <-- Kaboul
Kaboul <-- Dawson
Vertonghen <-- Dawson
Assou-Ekotto <-- Rose <-- Vertonghen <-- Naughton

Sandro <-- Parker <-- Livermore
Dembele <-- Holtby <-- Carroll <-- Huddlestone <-- Sigurdsson
Paulinho <-- Holtby <-- Carroll <-- Huddlestone <-- Sigurdsson

Chadli <-- Lennon <-- Townsend <-- Bale <-- Holtby <-- Sigurdsson <-- Dempsey
Soldado <-- Adebayor <-- Defoe <-- Bale
Bale <-- Dempsey <-- Sigurdsson <-- Townsend <-- Lennon <-- Holtby <-- Sigurdsson

Going by that we need a centre half.

Kaboul <-- Dawson
Vertonghen <-- Dawson

Bale <-- Dempsey <-- Sigurdsson <-- Townsend <-- Lennon <-- Holtby <-- Sigurdsson

correct but you have omitted Zeki Fryers.........how could you???

Never really seen anything from him that makes me beleieve he's anything more than a Championship player.

I have only seem him about 6 times, granted.

I think that a couple more signings are vital. As we got towards March last season, our squad was starting to look quite tired in specific areas. Defensively we had to keep fielding the same back line virtually with the exception of Naughton covering on either side. Gallas was injured, as was Kaboul so it was pretty much Dawson and Vertonghen.

Hopefully Younes has gotten over his problems now which gives us another option but I would think that this Romanian CB will be pushed through. I would also target Alderweireld - 1 year left on his contract, 24 years of age and likely to settle well given the other Belgians we have on our books. He can also play RB which again gives us good cover.

Looking at some of the names who have a year on their contract across Europe, I would definitely look to make a deal with some of those players in this window to add into the squad. Atsu from Porto, Eriksen at Ajax, Nani from United, Ljajic at Fiorentina, Menez at PSG are all players that I think as a club, we should be keeping an eye on with a view to approaching either this window or in January as they become available to offers on a bosman (Nani exception). I think that all of those targets would have at least some interest in joining us and any of those players would strengthen the team nicely in their position if we were to make an attempt to sign them.

If Bale goes then we will surely have to strengthen with a further 2-3 players but I would still look to get one of the above even if he stays. I want us to attack on all fronts this season and with another 2-3 signings i firmly believe we can be in the mix for everything this coming season.

Going on the rumour that we had £50 mill to spend then any other transfers I reckon will be based on outgoings. So far 3.5m for gio sell on, £8mill for caulker. So I reckon before selling anyone else we have £11.5 in the pot. I'm pretty sure we will see at least one or two go. I don't feel we need a host of other signings. CB cover looks needed and that's it IMO. Happy with lb with both bae & rose fighting it out which I reckon rose will win.

Kaboul <-- Dawson
Vertonghen <-- Dawson

When people do these things and show which players cover which positions, its baffles me that players are included in multiple positions - it makes it look as though you have a 50 man squad!!

I think you should just list each player in their best position as it gives a far better impression of the depth of the squad

In an ideal world you could not grumble about our trio of keepers. But Gomes is on too big wages to keep as back-up to the back-up.

Brad is good for another year IMO.

Back