• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

I think Spence is the best RWB at the club, but it will take a little while for him to be the starter because he needs to get his fitness levels to the standard Conte likes and also us to gain Contes trust. Royal has come on leaps and bounds IMO and whilst not the most dangerous attacking wise is not as bad as some like to make out and clearly something Conte appreciates.

If the issue with Doherty was fitness we would have seen him by now - Conte isn’t going to keep putting someone on the bench that isn’t that fit. We have seen with Perisic being on the bench not being fully fit but still given game time coming off of there but Doherty has had zero minutes. Moura gets out there ahead of him, the signs have been there since pre season. It’s Royal and Moura/Spence, if anyone is getting offloaded it’s Doherty…..
Doherty came on against Southampton for a few minutes. But in general i agree, it looks like Royal and Moura are currently ahead of him.

I'm really excited to see what Spence can do. Seems to tick all the boxes to be a top class wingback.

From early on it was reported that Spence didn't want to join a team and then be sent out on loan. Part of his motivation to join us (and not others) was we had no intention to loan him.

Of course the landscape shifts. Perhaps Emerson has gone up in Contes estimation. (And don't discount Emerson's popularity as a squad member, although not the be all and end-all, Conte will like this).

Considering Doherty has been building his fitness, and Doherty and Emerson are already well known to Conte I thought we might see a bit more of Spence in pre season?.

The problem Spence has, is it's likely Conte is going to want Doherty up to speed before him, so 30min sub appearances are more likely to go to the Doc.

But it early days at the Conte academy for Spence, so I think it's worth him sticking with us, and with injuries and suspensions, he will get a chance. It'll be interesting if we are short whether he chooses Moura or even move Perisic from the left over Spence for a starting place.

He undoubtedly has a combination of attributes the others don't. When he's given a chance he's just got to grab it. Conte won't have favourites, it's whoever is best for the team.

I think Spence is the best RWB at the club, but it will take a little while for him to be the starter because he needs to get his fitness levels to the standard Conte likes and also us to gain Contes trust. Royal has come on leaps and bounds IMO and whilst not the most dangerous attacking wise is not as bad as some like to make out and clearly something Conte appreciates.

If the issue with Doherty was fitness we would have seen him by now - Conte isn’t going to keep putting someone on the bench that isn’t that fit. We have seen with Perisic being on the bench not being fully fit but still given game time coming off of there but Doherty has had zero minutes. Moura gets out there ahead of him, the signs have been there since pre season. It’s Royal and Moura/Spence, if anyone is getting offloaded it’s Doherty…..
I can see your point BUT Doherty isn't worth much.

I think the Moura sub v Chelsea was clearly because we were chasing the game. Doherty for Royal is a marginally more attacking move, but Moura for Royal is a significantly more attacking move (whether you rate Moura or not!). I don’t think too much can be read in to that long term, the match situation dictated the substitution.

I can see your point BUT Doherty isn't worth much.
We have Conte in charge now, our attitude to transfers has changed. The primary concern is who Conte wants here, not what is the cheapest way to achieve that. Getting rid of Royale because he is worth more than Doherty is not going to happen…..

We have Conte in charge now, our attitude to transfers has changed. The primary concern is who Conte wants here, not what is the cheapest way to achieve that. Getting rid of Royale because he is worth more than Doherty is not going to happen…..
Don't be silly...they'll be a financial weighing up to all transfers...Paratici will have a budget even if it is a lot bigger than before.
And the reason the financials would carry more weight here is the fit and ability of both players is much of a muchness. I doubt Conte sees either of them as 'important' Doherty it could be argued is actually better suited to WB.

Is someone offered £10m for Doherty and £25m for Royal...it'll be Royal going, strictly because neither is the answer, it's the next guy we're buying that is.

I can definitely understand that.

What gives me some confidence about it is that we seemingly wanted Spence from early on. No long drawn out sagas of trying to sign this player and that player then ending up with Spence.

Conte and Paratici obviously saw Spence as the player to sign and I can only assume they're happy with that as our only RWB incoming business this summer.

Given what's been going on with transfers since Paratici and Conte came in I'm quite confident that there's a good plan in place. We're just still rather early in that plan.

I do agree, all good plans take time to develop and it will not happen overnight. Sad to say there are already fans who are having a little moan about ( what they feel is slow progress). Its a work in progress and i am sure that given time we will see those plans develop. Rome was not built in a day ( and neither are the best teams)

Don't be silly...they'll be a financial weighing up to all transfers...Paratici will have a budget even if it is a lot bigger than before.
And the reason the financials would carry more weight here is the fit and ability of both players is much of a muchness. I doubt Conte sees either of them as 'important' Doherty it could be argued is actually better suited to WB.

Is someone offered £10m for Doherty and £25m for Royal...it'll be Royal going, strictly because neither is the answer, it's the next guy we're buying that is.

Not how it works for the financials though. Doherty was bought for £15m in 2020 his contract runs out in 2024. So his current value in spurs books is £7.5m. He's 30 aswell so unlikely to get another contract. Next year will be his last year of his contract.
Emerson bought £22.5m in 2021 contract runs out in 2026. His current book value is £18m. We could hold onto him for 3 years and still get a decent sell on fee. Or possibly sign a new contract.

We would needa fairly big offer to tempt us to sell royal, as his value is much higher. Doherty is a lot lower and will fall a lot faster.

But as said it will be up to conte who he wants to keep.

I just don’t think Conte would want him sold and trusts him and sees him as an asset even if some here aren’t keen…..

Not how it works for the financials though. Doherty was bought for £15m in 2020 his contract runs out in 2024. So his current value in spurs books is £7.5m. He's 30 aswell so unlikely to get another contract. Next year will be his last year of his contract.
Emerson bought £22.5m in 2021 contract runs out in 2026. His current book value is £18m. We could hold onto him for 3 years and still get a decent sell on fee. Or possibly sign a new contract.

We would needa fairly big offer to tempt us to sell royal, as his value is much higher. Doherty is a lot lower and will fall a lot faster.

But as said it will be up to conte who he wants to keep.

Depends on how much the club care about book values nowadays. If we sell someone for less than book value then there would be a write-down in our accounts, but its a non-cash loss and I doubt our banking covenants are arranged around book value

I just don’t think Conte would want him sold and trusts him and sees him as an asset even if some here aren’t keen…..
I agree with that. I just don't think he rates him that much (or Doherty) if it came to selling. Obviously the assumption is someone else would be lined up.

Let's hope that man has already been bought in Spence.

Conte made comments which suggested that it was the club's decision to sign Spence. Wasnt explicitly clear who he meant by that
I think he just meant that there are two approaches going on 1. Is Contes 'i want to win now' 2. The clubs 'a young talent stream'
They don't have to be at loggerheads with each other, as long as both can be financed.
Paratici is the conduit between the two. Conte doesn't want to do too much development beyond teaching them his ways/system/expectations...if he's around long enough he could benefit(and probably knows this himself) from the Sarrs Spence's and Gil's.

I think he just meant that there are two approaches going on 1. Is Contes 'i want to win now' 2. The clubs 'a young talent stream'
They don't have to be at loggerheads with each other, as long as both can be financed.
Paratici is the conduit between the two. Conte doesn't want to do too much development beyond teaching them his ways/system/expectations...if he's around long enough he could benefit(and probably knows this himself) from the Sarrs Spence's and Gil's.

Sorry, yes, I didnt mean to imply loggerheads. More that Spence is one for the future and in the event that he develops fast and contributes to the team now, then great, but we're probably not expecting that immediately

Conte has a veto of any player coming into the first team. If he didn't want him in the squad he wouldn't be. But yes, conte sees him more for the future. But i'm sure he'll be getting game time. We'll be playing 2 games a week next month and that will last till the world cup.

You say "don't be silly", but the simple fact is that the last time management made a decision to sell a player against Conte's wishes he walked, and that was after winning the title at Inter. I do not see Conte accepting Emerson, a player that has started all 3 league matches, being sold this summer, not a chance in hell. If you argue otherwise then I would suggest you are the one being silly.

I like Spence's attitude of not wanting to be loaned out, but to try and work his way into the team. Shows a player with confidence, which is good. And I wouldn't worry too much about his lack of involvement early on. He missed a good chunk of pre-season. However, he'll be at Hotspur Way the entire 5-6 weeks of the WC break and that will be his opportunity to get fully up to speed and feature more in the second half of the season. If after the WC is over he is still a marginal player, then that's when I would start to worry.

We're not allowed to loan him to an EPL club, and going to the championship or abroad wouldn't do him much good at this point in time, unless maybe he copies Sessegnon's move to Germany?

Back