• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

Hands up all those that are aged 30+ that don’t have any regrets about how they spent their lives in their 20s? And anticipate very few hands in the air, if any, and yet people are openly criticising a player that is now only 23. Yes, the player does have a responsibility to his employer, Spurs, and to himself to try to be the best that he can be but that’s more difficult said than done.

People mature at different levels. Some people start a family at 18, work hard and rise to the top quickly. Others struggle to get going, don’t know what they want to do so don’t know how to get there.

Then there are footballers who get paid crazy money at a young age, an age at which they are yet to really find their feet. It’s a huge distraction and likely something some take longer to get to terms with others.

I think that really footballers need greater support through their career and help with developing as an individual. They likely need psychological help to deal with stress and pressure; some will crumble with pressure, others will be flippant as if to ignore and downplay any problem is to get rid of it completely.

Now I have no idea where Spence falls on the above and so instead of judging where he is what I will say is… support the guy, he’s with us and he clearly has some level of talent. If he does need support I hope that he gets it from experienced heads and professionals within the club. Let’s get him to a better place personally and professionally and help him flourish. That’s something we have a responsibility to do with any of our players but especially the younger players who might have been drifting between teams on loan or who haven’t quite broken into the first team with us.

We’re described as supporters and I would like to think we will support those that reoresent us as much as we can do so. Then with all the above support in place we see what Spence can offer moving forwards. If we feel that he’s not at the level and he’s unable to make the step up then we can move him forward to another more suitable interested club. But for now I hope that he can find his feet and thrive with us in future.
I don't. So both hands well and truly in the air.
Yeah I did some dumb things. People called me out when I did dumb things. Sometimes I did them again. Most of the time I understood that although I thought I knew everything, in reality I knew fudge all.

When people that know what they're talking about tell you something, it's up to you to listen. If multiple people tell you the same thing over a period of time, it's up to you to act and change it and choose to accept you won't get where you want to be. That is, of course, assuming he wants to be a regular in a football team that matches his technical ability - maybe he doesn't.
But either way, if he doesn't change he won't play.

I wonder what kind of manager/set-up he needs to get him on the right path?

I don't. So both hands well and truly in the air.
Yeah I did some dumb things. People called me out when I did dumb things. Sometimes I did them again. Most of the time I understood that although I thought I knew everything, in reality I knew fudge all.

When people that know what they're talking about tell you something, it's up to you to listen. If multiple people tell you the same thing over a period of time, it's up to you to act and change it and choose to accept you won't get where you want to be. That is, of course, assuming he wants to be a regular in a football team that matches his technical ability - maybe he doesn't.
But either way, if he doesn't change he won't play.

I wonder what kind of manager/set-up he needs to get him on the right path?
Whatever manager it is, it's likely not going to be at Spurs. Maybe a trip to Portugal will do him some good. Didn't hurt Marcus Edwards. Send him to a team that has a player we're interested in, preferably.

Fair play to Levy for sucking it up, biting the bullet and moving him out if this is true. Paying his wages to let him have a holiday in Genoa, lucky little brick better find a decent attitude while he's there or it might be his last professional club of note.

All the best Djed. Hope it goes very well, you get a permanent move there and it's one we look back on with a bit of regret.

I've only been to Genoa once and wasn't overly impressed. It felt a bit like Italy's Southampton (dull functional port town). Are there more exciting parts of it too?

Back