• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

Hands up all those that are aged 30+ that don’t have any regrets about how they spent their lives in their 20s? And anticipate very few hands in the air, if any, and yet people are openly criticising a player that is now only 23. Yes, the player does have a responsibility to his employer, Spurs, and to himself to try to be the best that he can be but that’s more difficult said than done.

People mature at different levels. Some people start a family at 18, work hard and rise to the top quickly. Others struggle to get going, don’t know what they want to do so don’t know how to get there.

Then there are footballers who get paid crazy money at a young age, an age at which they are yet to really find their feet. It’s a huge distraction and likely something some take longer to get to terms with others.

I think that really footballers need greater support through their career and help with developing as an individual. They likely need psychological help to deal with stress and pressure; some will crumble with pressure, others will be flippant as if to ignore and downplay any problem is to get rid of it completely.

Now I have no idea where Spence falls on the above and so instead of judging where he is what I will say is… support the guy, he’s with us and he clearly has some level of talent. If he does need support I hope that he gets it from experienced heads and professionals within the club. Let’s get him to a better place personally and professionally and help him flourish. That’s something we have a responsibility to do with any of our players but especially the younger players who might have been drifting between teams on loan or who haven’t quite broken into the first team with us.

We’re described as supporters and I would like to think we will support those that reoresent us as much as we can do so. Then with all the above support in place we see what Spence can offer moving forwards. If we feel that he’s not at the level and he’s unable to make the step up then we can move him forward to another more suitable interested club. But for now I hope that he can find his feet and thrive with us in future.

It's actually forbidden by EPL rules to buy a player then loan them to another EPL club in the same window. So he either had to go abroad, like he did, or back to the championship

Yeah obviously once he was signed by us he couldn't have gone to Forest, but Forest could have signed him directly. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it would have made sense to remain where he was playing his best football and ride the wave of momentum that he helped create.

Opportunistic 'club signing' if you believe ol Antonio.. Hopefully something we see less and less of with our recruitment structure growing.

Definite reports and itk in Leeds saying Farke has had enough of his brick and wanted him gone. Shame.

You mean like Sarr, Johnson & Udogie?

This is the model that works best, the occasional miss aside

Hands up all those that are aged 30+ that don’t have any regrets about how they spent their lives in their 20s? And anticipate very few hands in the air, if any, and yet people are openly criticising a player that is now only 23. Yes, the player does have a responsibility to his employer, Spurs, and to himself to try to be the best that he can be but that’s more difficult said than done.

People mature at different levels. Some people start a family at 18, work hard and rise to the top quickly. Others struggle to get going, don’t know what they want to do so don’t know how to get there.

Then there are footballers who get paid crazy money at a young age, an age at which they are yet to really find their feet. It’s a huge distraction and likely something some take longer to get to terms with others.

I think that really footballers need greater support through their career and help with developing as an individual. They likely need psychological help to deal with stress and pressure; some will crumble with pressure, others will be flippant as if to ignore and downplay any problem is to get rid of it completely.

Now I have no idea where Spence falls on the above and so instead of judging where he is what I will say is… support the guy, he’s with us and he clearly has some level of talent. If he does need support I hope that he gets it from experienced heads and professionals within the club. Let’s get him to a better place personally and professionally and help him flourish. That’s something we have a responsibility to do with any of our players but especially the younger players who might have been drifting between teams on loan or who haven’t quite broken into the first team with us.

We’re described as supporters and I would like to think we will support those that reoresent us as much as we can do so. Then with all the above support in place we see what Spence can offer moving forwards. If we feel that he’s not at the level and he’s unable to make the step up then we can move him forward to another more suitable interested club. But for now I hope that he can find his feet and thrive with us in future.
Wonderful post.

It's not only in football, but in many other parts of society. But the early fame, money, pressure, relational changes because of those things really isn't easy for teenagers and people in their early twenties to deal with.

Everyone that's even gotten to the level of a pro contract at a big league club will have both put in a lot of effort and made sacrifices. A lot of respect for those that do that, then continue to be model pros after that transition to making it. But I also have a lot of respect for those who get there, but struggle to deal with it in the best ways.

People are way too rash to judge imo.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Spence. Personally I think most likely he won't make it with us.

He has the skill set
Is he coachable.. I don’t know
I do find the attitude things very reactive I have to say
His attitude was so bad that they played him in all the December games I believe
Who knows, but speculation is IMO lazy and potential harmful

Totally. I think the young lad just talks back a bit. Thinks he’s a little more senior and successful than he is - which genuinely more senior people get offended by.

But you’d prefer a bit of edge and balls to a total walk over. And I’m sure Spence was sent out on loan because we had 3 for the position at the time, not because of his attitude.

Harness his aggression and let’s see it on the pitch.

Last edited:

Not sure I have regrets, but absolutely was stupid and a bit of a clam (not sure if anything changed). While I agree with general point being made, and we should all be careful of how we judge, it's not that simple.

This isn't the 70's/80's, these kids have training on media, they have club liaisons, they know their career is a "moment" in their lives (my 20's are the worst earning period of my life, not best), a player like Spence (even if for a short period) would have watched Kane & Son put in the work every fudging day, he would have seen the difference between playing for Forest and what was on offer at Spurs

Ultimately the greats of the world have 3 things, talent, genetics (a body that can take the physical demands) and the attitude to turn up everyday, Spence (not saying/making judgement) needs to know the attitude is the only thing he really controls.

Reactions: jrh
Not sure I have regrets, but absolutely was stupid and a bit of a clam (not sure if anything changed). While I agree with general point being made, and we should all be careful of how we judge, it's not that simple.

This isn't the 70's/80's, these kids have training on media, they have club liaisons, they know their career is a "moment" in their lives (my 20's are the worst earning period of my life, not best), a player like Spence (even if for a short period) would have watched Kane & Son put in the work every fudging day, he would have seen the difference between playing for Forest and what was on offer at Spurs

Ultimately the greats of the world have 3 things, talent, genetics (a body that can take the physical demands) and the attitude to turn up everyday, Spence (not saying/making judgement) needs to know the attitude is the only thing he really controls.

How many chances has he had to improve his attitude?

Warnock
Ange
Conte
Rennes
Farke

You would think after a couple of managers he might change his approach.

Warnock managed to get a tune out of Taarabt among other problem players, yet Spence was seen as too much work.

Ange gave everyone a fresh start as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrh

Has not worked for the lad, I wanted it to as he has clear talent and clearly some of its on him, but I agree with this.

People not robots, best ever advise from my old VP on managing people, having gone on manage a team of 250 was he right, no two people are the same let alone more than that. We can all proclaim things like money or training at their fingertips but its never as simple as that.

Great post BTW

I will not allow his Leeds experience colour my view of him. Yes he may have had issues and younger me would have been much more disgusted but now... best thing for the lad is to return to Spurs and the manager take a good look at him. If he truly has an attitude and refuses correction - then so be it. Often it could be the other way. I have worked for some managers that I was very glad to see the back of them especially those that I felt didn't have either my team's or my back.

I will not allow his Leeds experience colour my view of him. Yes he may have had issues and younger me would have been much more disgusted but now... best thing for the lad is to return to Spurs and the manager take a good look at him. If he truly has an attitude and refuses correction - then so be it. Often it could be the other way. I have worked for some managers that I was very glad to see the back of them especially those that I felt didn't have either my team's or my back.

He had a full pre-season with us and then Ange decided he preferred Royal as an attacking RB over him. I don't think he gets a 3rd chance with us

He had a full pre-season with us and then Ange decided he preferred Royal as an attacking RB over him. I don't think he gets a 3rd chance with us
No unfortunately its becoming apparent the guy is an idiot which is a shame as he does have ability.

I think the Conte era broke him because there was no way he stepped out of line under Antonio otherwise he would have been torn a new one.

So he probably turned a new leaf under Copper and continued this way when he joined us and then found he was never picked most likely imo because Conte wanted to prove a point to the board.

BUT even if he played regularly and shone under Conte these attitude problems would have come out again as it is becoming clear that is just who he is sadly.

We've all made mistakes. Espacially at that age.

He might have donne nothing wrong. I'm not saying he has. Just talking about rumours.

BUT. He has the skill and opportunity to do something most of us only dream of. If he wastes it. It is a tragedy and we will be disappointed.

His life and he lives it as he chooses. I will not have any hate for him. Just think he'll regret it.

IF the kid has a big billy gonad*s attitude ( and there HAS been mentioned of this at 3 clubs now) then he is a fool.

Back