• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dilemma - 4th but Missing CL - Successful?

Would you consider 4th success even if we miss on CL football?

• Yes, we have achieved our Season Objectives in theroy

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No, we should have never blown 3rd

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters
Regardless of where we were expected to finish, blowing 3rd and a 10 point lead is a failure whichever way you dress it up.

This.

In some ways it's easier to accept a team of crap players scrapping for their lifes to escape relegation than a team of talented Internationals who have bottled it and wasted their potential.

Here's a scenario for you

- In your job, at the beginning of the year, you are given a quota, let's say 100K in sales, with a special bonus if you make 120K
- Half way through the year, you are at 80K in sales, you have meetings with your boss and we all agree, everything is going great, that 120K looks set, maybe even 140K
- Last 4 months of sales don't work out as expected, looks like you are going to just about make the 120K

You would agree if your boss pulled you in and said, "I think if you get 120K now, you are a failure and I should think about firing you"

Because that's the world most people here seem to be in.

- In your job, at the beginning of the year, you are given a quota, let's say 100K in sales, with a special bonus if you make 120K
- Half way through the year, you are at 80K in sales, you have meetings with your boss and we all agree, everything is going great, that 120K looks set, maybe even 140K
- Last 4 months of sales don't work out as expected, looks like you are going to just about make the 120K

You would agree if your boss pulled you in and said, "I think if you get 120K now, you are a failure and I should think about firing you"

I think that it is more like the other stores are now selling at 200K average. And the store is likely to lose its top sales people because the they will likely make more money at the other stores, working at the other stores now seem to be more pretigious, and the other stores are now likely to attract better workforce and always be on the leading edge. Would that be a failure of management to keep up with the competition?

you are comparing football with retail/business mate and in this instance i don't think it's an accurate analogy (analogy ?)

Last edited:
If we finish 4th but Chelsea win in Munich rendering our achievement pointless - would you consider our season 'successful'?

9/10 other times it would have meant guaranteed CL qualification but unfortunately it would be out of our hands. Would you still want Arry replaced?

A terrible choice of answers. The first can only be a response to expectation at the beginning of the season and the second expectation mid-way through. It is entirely possible to agree with both answers, meaning that the poll is pointless.

If we had had Arsenal's results and they had had ours, we would be absolutely delighted right now, even if the points totals were the same or even less. Funny old game, football

We weren't even spoken about as Champions League contenders at the start of the season, it was: Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and - having spent ?ú100m - Liverpool.

Considering the fact we've actually spent most of the season in 3rd, to finish 4th would be a very successful season.

If we finish 4th and Chelscum win the Champions League, we can't play the unlucky Spurs card. It would be our own doing.

Bayern Munich losing a final to bunch of bus parking coontz would be our fault?

Why is that then, is it because we have had to play against teams employing these tactics all season?

Saying we should have finished 3rd is as macaronic as stating that Chelsea should be 10th

This is league football you mugs

38 games

Bayern Munich losing a final to bunch of bus parking coontz would be our fault?

Why is that then, is it because we have had to play against teams employing these tactics all season?

Because we were 3rd, comfortably. To lose 3rd in the manner that we did wasn't good enough.

We weren't even spoken about as Champions League contenders at the start of the season, it was: Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and - having spent ?ú100m - Liverpool.

Considering the fact we've actually spent most of the season in 3rd, to finish 4th would be a very successful season.

Revisionist gonad*s.

We were in the fudging champs league last year FFS! We WERE talked about in the the mix with the teams you list.

Why are you making brick up?

Chelsea should finish 10th

City should finish 2nd

Arsenal should not finish 3rd

Wigan should be relegated

QPR should be down

Blah blah blah.....cause and effect. My tiny brain can't cope

So you do not think we had third and we blew it, if so what is your point.

Back