• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dilemma - 4th but Missing CL - Successful?

Would you consider 4th success even if we miss on CL football?

• Yes, we have achieved our Season Objectives in theroy

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No, we should have never blown 3rd

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters

ArcspacE

Banned
If we finish 4th but Chelsea win in Munich rendering our achievement pointless - would you consider our season 'successful'?

9/10 other times it would have meant guaranteed CL qualification but unfortunately it would be out of our hands. Would you still want Arry replaced?

From the start of the season my view was that we could get fourth, I didn't think Liverpool would really be challenging after the purchases they made, but i didn't see Saudi Sportswashing Machine taking their place as i don't think many people did.

Finishing fourth would in my view be a successful season, being the fourth best team in England is nothing to be laughed at, although if chelsea win the champions league they might be the 'best team in europe' without even being in the top four/five teams in England, which is a bit of a strange one.

There was absolutely no way it could have been predicted that Chelsea would win the champions league, so you can't really blame that on anyone.

If we do end up in fourth i would like to see Redknapp stay. Though i would be interested to see how Modric/Bale see it.

It would suck beyond belief.

I know it makes no sense but that would not be a success, whereas Chavs losing and us 4th would be.

4th is a very good season. Yes we should have finished 3rd but to say 4th isn't a success is totally wrong.

Absolutely. Id like to tick both boxes.

We should never have blown third, and shouldnt be goin gthrough the mill right now.

That said, in August 4th represented a good season and so regardless of the CL quirks it still would be.

I think some people are missing the point. It would be successful by finishing fourth it would make us the FOURTH BEST TEAM IN ENGLAND.

The three ahead of us are teams who have either spent a ton of money or have success ingrained throughout their club and have had it for years.

So whilst I think it would suck big time finishing fourth and missing out I would also say that being the fourth best team in England is pretty great

4th is a failure, I'll explain why. We were actually realistically challenging for the title. We were playing some of the best football, if not the best football in the country. We were at one piint not too long ago, 13 pts above the scum and out of sight of chelsea and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Then we capitulate, we implode and go on this horrible run that see's everything that we worked for thrown away in a matter of weeks.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
- Bill Nicholson

Who at the start of the season thought we would finish 3rd?

Harry's a victim of himself overachieving.

Where did both of you think we would finish at the start of the season?

i get this argument, but i don't agree with looking at the season this way - IMO you should adapt your ambitions as you go on - beginning of the season i would have been happy to be involved in the challenge for 4th - however as the season progressed my ambitions changed (as well as Redknapps) and we should judge the season on those new ambitions.

would i be happy if we finish 4th ? of course
would i think the season would have been a success if we finish 4th after being 10pts clear in 3rd in February? no

You should never achieve less than what you're capable of. We're capable of 3rd and we've blown it.

Our pre-season target, however, was to qualify for the Champions League. If we do not do so, THFC will crumble.

i get this argument, but i don't agree with looking at the season this way - IMO you should adapt your ambitions as you go on - beginning of the season i would have been happy to be involved in the challenge for 4th - however as the season progressed my ambitions changed (as well as Redknapps) and we should judge the season on those new ambitions.

would i think the season would have been a success if we finish 4th after being 10pts clear in 3rd in February? no

I understand your premise, but would like you to consider it from the other side as well. Liverpool's ambition at the start of the season was to end up in the top four, when they dropped out of the top six do you think they lowered their ambition for the season?

Your ambition only changes if you are successful, but the season cannot only be judged on halfway stages, it has to be judged as a whole.

This. 4th would still be a good result, but knowing where we were not so long back, we should've attained higher (technically we still can of course).

We didn't overachieve. There's no such thing. You can play at your best and show what you're capable of, but there is no such thing as overachieving. We simply just didn't play as well from February onwards.

Back