• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dilemma - 4th but Missing CL - Successful?

Would you consider 4th success even if we miss on CL football?

• Yes, we have achieved our Season Objectives in theroy

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No, we should have never blown 3rd

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters
I understand your premise, but would like you to consider it from the other side as well. Liverpool's ambition at the start of the season was to end up in the top four, when they dropped out of the top six do you think they lowered their ambition for the season?

Your ambition only changes if you are successful, but the season cannot only be judged on halfway stages, it has to be judged as a whole.

i am judging it as a whole, just not on the targets i set pre season.

id imagine after the start of the season they had to end up with 1 (possibly two trophies) Liverpool will consider this season somewhat of a success

and once they realized the players they signed were not as good as they thought (or the squad needed more time together) then they would have altered their ambitions and judge the season accordingly

Regardless of where we were expected to finish, blowing 3rd and a 10 point lead is a failure whichever way you dress it up.

i am judging it as a whole, just not on the targets i set pre season.

id imagine after the start of the season they had to end up with 1 (possibly two trophies) Liverpool will consider this season somewhat of a success

and once they realized the players they signed were not as good as they thought (or the squad needed more time together) then they would have altered their ambitions and judge the season accordingly

Their fans really, really, really don't.

If I were a Liverpool fan I'd be pulling my hair out after such a shocking season, even if they do win the FA Cup

if we finish on 71 points, it will be our best finish for donkeys. specifically, does anyone know our top 10 point tallys for a season?

cant help think what could have been :(

Their fans really, really, really don't.

over on f365 the Liverpool fans would disagree with that

anyway we're talking about what we personally think of the season, not what other clubs think of theirs

Last edited:
it seems RAWK is derided by most of the Liverpool fans that don't post there tbh mate so i wouldn't be inclined to use that as a reference

They may be derided, but it is the most popular Liverpool forum. Can't really help it if most of the 'pool supporters are a bit special, after all they come from Liverpool.

anyway, Spursalot - im sure for every Liverpool fan that thinks this season has been a failure there is one which thinks that considering how they started/players not being as good as they thought etc etc then to finish how they have with possibly winning 2 of the 3 competitions they are entered in is a success

that's how i would look at it - was it a failure that we finished way outside of the European places in Harry's first season in charge when that is what was predicted for us at the beginning ?

anyway, Spursalot - im sure for every Liverpool fan that thinks this season has been a failure there is one which thinks that considering how they started/players not being as good as they thought etc etc then to finish how they have with possibly winning 2 of the 3 competitions they are entered in is a success

that's how i would look at it - was it a failure that we finished way outside of the European places in Harry's first season in charge when that is what was predicted for us at the beginning ?

I have the same thinking about us, so that is fair enough.

If we finish 4th and Chelsea don't win the CL, then I'll still consider the season a success.

But if we finish 4th and Chelsea win the CL, then it will be our own fault.

i don't believe that the outcome of the CL final should make a difference as to whether 4th is considered a success or not

i don't believe that the outcome of the CL final should make a difference as to whether 4th is considered a success or not

Unfortunately it will make the difference though, no CL means Bale and Modric probably do the offski. Champions League football should be enough to persuade our best players to stay for at least one more season.

Unfortunately it will make the difference though, no CL means Bale and Modric probably do the offski. Champions League football should be enough to persuade our best players to stay for at least one more season.

of course it will have it's knock on effect - but if you consider 4th to be a success then it would be harsh to call it any other way based on a game which is out of our control.

I would be happy with 4th, i thought we had a good chance of it at the start of the season even more so after securing Parker and Ade. I suppose as my pre-season expectations would have been met i would consider the season a success. If Chelsea won the champs league then theres nothing really that we could do about that its just unfortunate.

It would be a success that is pretty tarnished though as i believe with slightly better planning or focus we should have sown up 3rd given the position we were in. Without significant investment these opportunities wont come around often and you need to make the most of them when they do. This has been discussed to death though so i wont go any further.

of course it will have it's knock on effect - but if you consider 4th to be a success then it would be harsh to call it any other way based on a game which is out of our control.

In normal circumstances I would agree with you, but we have thrown away 3rd place. When it almost happened in 05/06, it would have been and out of our control because Liverpool were always miles ahead of us in 3rd place, we were never in contention, whereas 3rd was in our hands this season, and we've blown it.

In normal circumstances I would agree with you, but we have thrown away 3rd place. When it almost happened in 05/06, it would have been and out of our control because Liverpool were always miles ahead of us in 3rd place, we were never in contention, whereas 3rd was in our hands this season, and we've blown it.

that's why my stance is that 4th is not a success this season (after being in 3rd for so long) but that is regardless of whether Chelsea win the CL

not saying it's a particular failure, id be happy with 4th - but is not what i would call a success

This is exactly what Redknapp would say to justify his performance.

" I mean in other years, fourth would have got you Champs League. I don't make the rules its unlucky. But I wish JT and Lamps all the best in the Champs league for next season, top top t'rrific lads.

Our goal every year is to be a better team that the one last year. Not qualifying for CL means we will have difficulties in retaining &attracting top talents and thus make us less likely to achieve our goal.

Back