• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Diego's Living Room Thread...

So what you reckon?

Could either have a long unit with all the boxes hidden, or go with the simple (cheesy?) fireplace look and all the sky, av boxes to the left on the side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I personally prefer the first set up, without that horrible Jeremy Beadle centre speaker though. Just dont light it from above,up light it from behind the cabinet or from behind the skirting.

Sorry, one more question, they don't look like flush mount - are they ok in a 'box' in the wall?

You could look for some NXT speakers if you intend to use the bose bass box, they work in a similar way to the Acoustimass system. However the NXT stuff always used to distort very easily so it never really took off. Flat panel speakers of any quality tend to be expensive for a reason mate, sorry.

I personally prefer the first set up, without that horrible Jeremy Beadle centre speaker though. Just dont light it from above,up light it from behind the cabinet or from behind the skirting.
Would you wall mount or have the centre as an in ceiling speaker then?

Also have you got an example of what you mean with the lighting? I hate all the led backlighting behind the tv nonsense. Just ain't for me. But your talking about behind the cabinet? LEDs? Or just wall lights behind the cabinet?

I would look at mounting the centre speaker in the cabinet either in a open shelf or behind a mesh panel, wall mounted speakers of that size just look odd as they stick out miles. Pics belkow:

Behind the cabinet I would use a strip of leds, not that expensive to buy and cheap to run, personal taste I guess.

products_14299_zoomed-img.jpg

casata_8629_wal_prop_front_v1y.jpg

Marina-8729-4-GW540px.jpg

Right, Diego - as promised, here's a few ideas about your new living room area and surrounding spaces. Apologies for the delayed reply - was travelling extensively over the last few weeks and struggled to find time. I also see you've received good input on the 'technical' aspect so I'll skip that and jump straight into the 'architectural' part

Below you can find a few images depicting a possible layout for your main living space

I have used the small pillars / breaks in the 'long' wall to aid with spatial definition / separation - I've assumed those are structural but if not - you can consider demolishing them. Immediately to the left of your entrance door I've positioned a small reading / library space with a 'feature' in-built shelf against the wall. The bay window forms a lovely semi-private space 'away' from the rest of the room with a view (possibly something nice, I don't know?) and a pleasant environment to place a comfortable chair and indulge in a book or magazine. This space can also be used as a 'second' lounge when you are entertaining - i.e. if the 'women' aren't keen to watch the sport on TV - they can break away in this space and gossip away. The built-in shelves also form a nice pattern against a wall which appears (from the photos you posted earlier) rather bland and openings free

The next space is obviously your TV area / lounge with a texture/feature wall forming the background behind your TV. From the images you posted earlier I'd assume you enjoy contemporary / minimalist interiors hence the choice of furniture and fittings. In addition - in keeping the space relatively open and clutter-free - you need to make use of your furniture (couches in this particular case) as objects in helping with your spatial separation. There is a ceiling bulkhead mounted above (omitted from some of the images for clarity) which further helps to articulate the TV area and also serve as an element to possibly mount speakers, lights, etc. Bulkheads are relatively inexpensive while in turn adding quite a bit of character to otherwise ordinary spaces.

I'm not sure what happens 'beyond' this space as it goes into your dining area so I've positioned a small drinks cabinet to the right of your TV lounge and left the rest open. A nice art-work can complement the wall if preferred.

This is just one of thousands of options, depending on budget and scope of 'demolition' wanted - I've kept your original carpet although if budget allows, I'd recommend you look into tiling or even some of the epoxy or concrete floor finishes - depending on preference. Those are great, durable textures imv and very popular in contemporary (minimalist) interiors. Also in some cases can cost less than (good) tiles.

Good luck, mate and if you have any questions, drop a line

D_003.jpg

D_004.jpg

D_002.jpg

D_001.jpg

Last edited:
WTF Arc?? Outstanding effort. I'm going to feel really bad when I have to hand you some infraction points next. Interesting use of space. I never really thought of having the sofa that far forward off the wall. But interesting you also chose the same wall to put the tv stuff. I like what you done with the library area although I'm not sure thats me. I will have a smaller unit in my office which is in another room.

I have the same rough idea as you. I just don't know how to use the area behind the 2/3 seater (adjacent to the tv). I like how you put a chair there. I did look at those barcelona chairs. Quite nice... but I like open space, and wont clutter it for the sake of it

What did you use to mock that up?

Back