• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Re: Welcome Dempsey!

I am so fired up about this. Having an American plating for spurs is a dream scenario for me. He's a really solid player, I know he's not as sexy ad moutinho, but he scores goals, works his ass off, and is a tough son of a bitch. Couldn't be happier right now.
Hey what about Friedel? Kasey Keller? :(

Welcome Clint, ignore the haters. Another Parker-like signing; looks underwhelming but will probably produce the goods over the course of a season. Has done brilliantly over the last two seasons, scored the same amount as Adebayor in the league last campaign.

Let's not forget that Dempsey was a devastating player at times last season, he was scoring for fun at one point.

Let's hope he does well for us!

Dempsey, very depressing. Honestly, why? He isn't going to challenge Adebayor, and I'd rather have kept VdV.

Very disappointing signing. A panic buy. Dempsey is a good player no doubt, but I really don't see the point.

[h=4]Clint Dempsey compared to Top Premier League Strikers[/h] The first table below compares Clint Dempsey to strikers: As you can see in terms of comparing the shooting and chance conversion statistics there was really no way that Clint would be better than van Persie, Aguero or Rooney last season. However even though he comes off worst in three metrics overall – he betters Luis Suarez in four of them. His shooting accuracy, conversion rate and clear-cut conversion rate was far better than Luis’s.
We cannot ignore the fact that Clint played the majority of the season on the left side of midfield and taking that into consideration Clint Dempsey’s stats here are very, very impressive as he’s got very close to matching most of the strikers whilst playing in this position. Our positional chart later will show how impressive Clint is when he starts as a striker. If you don’t like viewing stats in tables here are the stats in line charts:
The line chart above shows how impressive the top three strikers were last season (the lower value is better here) but it was only the mins per goal metric that caused Clint Dempsey and Luis Suarez to lag behind these three players. Luis started all of his games as a striker but had issues converting his chances. Clint Dempsey’s 195 mins per goal is better than ANY Liverpool player last season. He also did this playing the majority as left-sided midfielder/forward. From a mins per shot and shot on target perspective there is not too much between all five players.​
Chart 2 is the opposite – the higher value is better and Dempsey’s accuracy is better here and Suarez’s stats fall sharply in contrast to all others. Rooney out-performs all of his rivals in this whilst Suarez has the worst stats out of those compared. Clint Dempsey is very close to van Persie and Aguero in these metrics in apart from chance conversion.​

[h=4]Clint Dempsey compared to Premier League Wide Forwards[/h] The following table displays the stats for Clint Dempsey in comparison to Sturridge, Sinclair, Gervinho and Dirk Kuyt:

Clint Dempsey pretty much clears up here and tops five out of the seven statistics on display whilst Gervinho tops the other two. Whilst not being top in creativity he scored most often, shot most often, hit the target most often and his conversion of both regular and clear-cut chances was also the best. Dirk Kuyt didn’t do very well in comparison and if Dempsey does join he’d be taking up the slot that Dirk has vacated and looking at these stats he’d definitely be an upgrade for Liverpool.
Dirk’s chance conversion and clear-cut chance conversion stats were very poor last season. Gervinho was most creative and most accurate at shooting whereas Sturridge was neither the best or worst in any of the statistics. Scott Sinclair didn’t look too good in these statistics as a wide forward either – and with age on his side he can only get better but Clint Dempsey would be the right option for Liverpool at the moment.
These stats are also reflected in the following line charts:
Dempsey compared wide forwards mins per shot goal

Dirk Kuyt’s stats are so poor that his mins per goal doesn’t even appear on the chart – it’s off the charts so to speak – in a bad way!​
Clint Dempsey out-shines the other wide forwards in both line charts above whilst in comparison Dirk Kuyt did well – erm – a word that would probably be edited out on this site when this article gets reviewed!​
[h=4]Clint Dempsey’s Positional Flexibility[/h] One of Clint Dempsey’s qualities is his ability to play anywhere in the forward positions and be able to deliver results. He’s scored in five of the six positions he started for Fulham last season (all five displayed below). The illustration I’ve put together shows this below (stats via WhoScored.com):

Impressively, in five starts as a centre forward Clint Dempsey scored five and combined with the attacking mid role he achieved eight goals in ten starts (certainly very impressive when broken down like this). Starting in the left midfield position Dempsey achieved seven goals and five assists in 23 starts which translates to him contributing towards a goal for Fulham just over a goal every two games whilst he only played two games at centre-midfield (one goal) and the solitary game at right-midfield (a goal and an assist). The stats are impressive – Liverpool would take the 7 goals and five assists at left midfield as it’s – err - seven goals and five assists more than a certain Stewart Downing!
If Clint Dempsey was to sign you’d be able to inter-change Borini, Suarez and Dempsey in any of the front three positions with ease creating a fluent strike force. We think it would be a very interesting addition to the side as he’s able to play in so many positions and last season he was very, very impressive for Fulham. It’s definitely a signing we’d like to see at Anfield.
[h=4]Clint Dempsey’s Off-Pitch Attraction[/h]

The most interesting thing in that article is Dempsey's flexibility - we get cover out wide and up front in one player (much like we tried to do with Loic Remy).

Ironic that we get rid of one player who refused to play for us and we castigated him for it and we then sign a player who did it at another club!!

Happy to see Dempsey join as I thought we looked light in attacking midfield after Rafa left.

Had a stormer of a season last year, probably will be difficult to reproduce, but I think he will be a very handy player and I think he will fit well into the AVB philosophy.

Great stats metalgear, donated by the scousers? Bit like getting a survey on a house done then have the seller drop you!

Those line graphs are shocking though, wrong data to use with that sort of graph. Bar charts maybe :)

I'd worry if Dempsey was playing for us under Redknapp. But under AVB I'm more hopeful, seems perfect for a rotation system (if that's what is appropriate to call a system where one player could come in for any one of five?).

Be interesting to see who he comes in for permanently if he does become a regular starter.

Happy to see Dempsey join as I thought we looked light in attacking midfield after Rafa left.

Had a stormer of a season last year, probably will be difficult to reproduce, but I think he will be a very handy player and I think he will fit well into the AVB philosophy.

We could've just, y'know, kept Rafa. Obviously this is a financial decision. Save money on wages, lose ability on the pitch. Oh well.

We could've just, y'know, kept Rafa. Obviously this is a financial decision. Save money on wages, lose ability on the pitch. Oh well.

What do you mean financial decision? Aren't all player sales and purchases "financial decisions"?

I loved having VdV at the club, and I will miss having him at the club for sure. He was 29 though, with fitness issues and he did have his pretty clear limitations. Seems like a fairly rational decision to let him go at this point.

I love that the second most watched video of him on Youtube is made by... *drum solo*.... NBGooner7

On another note, welcome to the club Clint. Hopefully a good buy, will have my support until he looks brick, which will be after what? The third game or something? :D
Seriously, I think he will bring some goals with him, which is what we need.

I am so fired up about this. Having an American plating for spurs is a dream scenario for me. He's a really solid player, I know he's not as sexy ad moutinho, but he scores goals, works his ass off, and is a tough son of a bitch. Couldn't be happier right now.

We have a striker that will mix it up with CB. I'm glad he is here. Welcome Clint

Back