• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I am amazed that there are still some fans saying Alli should be given even more chances to TRY and find his old form, it all honesty he has been poor ( at least) for the last couple of seasons and i find it hard to believe he will/can turn that round here. Best thing for him ( imo) is to move and try and start afresh elsewhere, we may even get a decent fee for him which will help us in going forward.

I am amazed that there are still some fans saying Alli should be given even more chances to TRY and find his old form, it all honesty he has been poor ( at least) for the last couple of seasons and i find it hard to believe he will/can turn that round here. Best thing for him ( imo) is to move and try and start afresh elsewhere, we may even get a decent fee for him which will help us in going forward.

I think he’s had his last chance and all the long-standing support for him to get back into the first team has evaporated.

Lot’s of goodwill for him personally remains, but he should be moved on.

It's a shame but it does seem best for all parties that be moves on. Two things really bother me though:
1. We'll only get a fraction of what he was worth a couple of years ago.
2. As he only needs a refresh somewhere else, he's absolutely going to improve, and we'll get slaughtered and ridiculed for fudging up his career and letting him go.

It's a shame but it does seem best for all parties that be moves on. Two things really bother me though:
2. As he only needs a refresh somewhere else, he's absolutely going to improve, and we'll get slaughtered and ridiculed for fudging up his career and letting him go.
You can bet with 100% confidence that Levy will put in a percentage of next sale, he will only go to a smaller team and if he hits form again and gets a big money move we will be quid's in.

Hopefully the addition of Paratici makes us more agile in the transfer windows and able to anticipate the directions things are going in. We've been far to slow and reactive at times.

I'm not claiming to have known that Dele would never recover his form without Eriksen but maybe a top DoF would have seen the writing on the wall and weighed up the possibility that it would be a good time to move him on and reinvest his fee into the squad.

There's no reason to get overly attached to any player, they will always come and go. If you can make those comings and going work for the general improvement of the squad all the better.

Best thing would be a loan in Jan to see if a new environment and a different set up can invigorate him, he could go and do a Lingard at West Ham which will tempt a higher fee for him in the summer.

Hopefully the addition of Paratici makes us more agile in the transfer windows and able to anticipate the directions things are going in. We've been far to slow and reactive at times.

I'm not claiming to have known that Dele would never recover his form without Eriksen but maybe a top DoF would have seen the writing on the wall and weighed up the possibility that it would be a good time to move him on and reinvest his fee into the squad.

There's no reasonr to get overly attached to any player, they will always come and go. If you can make those comings and going work for the general improvement of the squad all the better.

I can’t agree with this or the subsequent comments. I can see the logic in what you’re saying but the whole supporting of a club is about emotional connection rather than a logical choice. Otherwise we’d all support City right now.

Without getting emotionally attached to players, we wouldn’t have the same depth of feeling for heroes like Greaves, Blanchflower, Hoddle, Waddle, Gazza, Lineker, Klinsmanm, The King, Rafa, Bale, Modric, Ginola, Dembele, Jan, Sonny, Harry and so on. Not to mention BMJ, Burkinshaw, Bill Nic and Poch. I wouldn’t get the same pleasure from watching Skipp and Tanganga starting to establish themselves in the first team. They’d all just be lads who played for or managed our club, did a job and moved on. It’d make supporting Spurs completely soulless.

Look at a fella like Gary Mabbutt who was a hero of mine growing up. Are you really telling me we shouldn’t get attached to someone like him? He loves Tottenham more than any of us and continues to represent us with absolute class and dignity. Does he do that if we treat him as just the latest fella to wear our shirt who we expect to leave if he gets a better offer or we’ll dump if it suits us? Not for me. The connection with some players goes well beyond purely what they add to the first team.

There’s got to be a connection between fans and players. Otherwise it’s always just a job to them and they are just mercenaries to us. I don’t want to support football in a world like that.

Last edited:
I can’t agree with this or the subsequent comments. I can see the logic in what you’re saying but the whole supporting of a club is about emotional connection rather than a logical choice. Otherwise we’d all support City right now.

Without getting emotionally attached to players, we wouldn’t have the same depth of feeling for heroes like Greaves, Blanchflower, Hoddle, Waddle, Gazza, Lineker, Klinsmanm, The King, Rafa, Bale, Modric, Ginola, Dembele, Jan, Sonny, Harry and so on. Not to mention BMJ, Burkinshaw, Bill Nic and Poch. I wouldn’t get the same pleasure from watching Skipp and Tanganga starting to establish themselves in the first team. They’d all just be lads who played for or managed our club, did a job and moved on. It’d make supporting Spurs completely soulless.

Look at a fella like Gary Mabbutt who was a hero of mine growing up. Are you really telling me we shouldn’t get attached to someone like him? He loves Tottenham more than any of us and continues to represent us with absolute class and dignity. Does he do that if we treat him as just the latest fella to wear our shirt who we expect to leave if he gets a better offer or we’ll dump if it suits us? Not for me. The connection with some players goes well beyond purely what they add to the first team.

There’s got to be a connection between fans and players. Otherwise it’s always just a job to them and they are just mercenaries to us. I don’t want to support football in a world like that.

But all the players you mentioned are gone now. You can adore them all you want but they've all eventually left either through retirement or moving on to new pastures. The only thing that is constant is the club and the club will always need new players. So if selling a Dele or a Kane or an Eriksen is what is going to move us forward than that is 100% what we need to do. You will fall in love with whomever the new high perming player is.

And even if you don't want to admit it, it is a job to them and they are mercenaries. If they weren't why would Romero be here or Emerson. They are here for professional reasons if not they would have stayed in their home countries playing football with their mates surrounded by their families.

Now while a player is at the club sure I appreciate them and love their performances but I don't get it confused. That same player could be at another club next season.

So my point is, when it comes to transfers forget the sentimentality. What is best for the club going forward? That is the course of action we need to take. And not to be trite but again look at the big and successful clubs, that is what they do. If a player isn't cutting it, they move them on a replace with someone who will. If they see an opportunity to improve upon even already successful players they do it. Alex Ferguson was a master of this, he never rested his laurels, if a better player could be had he did it. Until we use that same attitude we will continue to handicap ourselves.

Eriksen should have been sold at the height of his reputation and that money reinvested. We might not have had our seasons struggle if we had done that ahead of the game instead of after the horse had already bolted.

But all the players you mentioned are gone now. You can adore them all you want but they've all eventually left either through retirement or moving on to new pastures. The only thing that is constant is the club and the club will always need new players. So if selling a Dele or a Kane or an Eriksen is what is going to move us forward than that is 100% what we need to do. You will fall in love with whomever the new high perming player is.

And even if you don't want to admit it, it is a job to them and they are mercenaries. If they weren't why would Romero be here or Emerson. They are here for professional reasons if not they would have stayed in their home countries playing football with their mates surrounded by their families.

Now while a player is at the club sure I appreciate them and love their performances but I don't get it confused. That same player could be at another club next season.

So my point is, when it comes to transfers forget the sentimentality. What is best for the club going forward? That is the course of action we need to take. And not to be trite but again look at the big and successful clubs, that is what they do. If a player isn't cutting it, they move them on a replace with someone who will. If they see an opportunity to improve upon even already successful players they do it. Alex Ferguson was a master of this, he never rested his laurels, if a better player could be had he did it. Until we use that same attitude we will continue to handicap ourselves.

Eriksen should have been sold at the height of his reputation and that money reinvested. We might not have had our seasons struggle if we had done that ahead of the game instead of after the horse had already bolted.

I can't agree. If you don't invest in the player with sentimentality or emotionally or whatever, they never become heroes. Do you think that Man U fans aren't emotionally invested in Giggs, Scholes, Best, Charlton, Keane, Schmeichel etc. Are Liverpool fans not invested in Rush, Dalglish, Fowler, Gerrard etc. Of course they are. It's one of the foundations of football fandom. Yes some players will be mercenaries. But some won't. I'd be amazed if Hugo didn't have better offers over the last 10 years? Klinsmann still has an affinity for the club despite having only a season and a bit with us over 20 years ago. VDV loves Tottenham, you can tell. Sandro also loves us. Lads from France, Germany, Holland and Brazil who didn't grow up loving us but clearly do now. Mabbutt, Hoddle, King? Are they just mercenaries?

Yes our manager and our recruitment team need to be more clinical and do what they think will bring us forward. But fans can't operate on that level or supporting Tottenham over Arsenal becomes the footballing equivalent of choosing Tesco over Sainsburys.

Has there ever been a swop loan? I'm thinking Van de Beek who is in a similar position in a similarly big club :)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

I can't agree. If you don't invest in the player with sentimentality or emotionally or whatever, they never become heroes. Do you think that Man U fans aren't emotionally invested in Giggs, Scholes, Best, Charlton, Keane, Schmeichel etc. Are Liverpool fans not invested in Rush, Dalglish, Fowler, Gerrard etc. Of course they are. It's one of the foundations of football fandom. Yes some players will be mercenaries. But some won't. I'd be amazed if Hugo didn't have better offers over the last 10 years? Klinsmann still has an affinity for the club despite having only a season and a bit with us over 20 years ago. VDV loves Tottenham, you can tell. Sandro also loves us. Lads from France, Germany, Holland and Brazil who didn't grow up loving us but clearly do now. Mabbutt, Hoddle, King? Are they just mercenaries?

Yes our manager and our recruitment team need to be more clinical and do what they think will bring us forward. But fans can't operate on that level or supporting Tottenham over Arsenal becomes the footballing equivalent of choosing Tesco over Sainsburys.
I think we are at slightly cross purposes because I was talking about what the club should do not fans. The fans can idolise whoever they want, it doesn't really matter in the long run. The club, the board, the DoF, the manager they need to make agile decisions.

I think we are at slightly cross purposes because I was talking about what the club should do not fans. The fans can idolise whoever they want, it doesn't really matter in the long run. The club, the board, the DoF, the manager they need to make agile decisions.

Ah just re-read your post. You mean the club not fans shouldn't get attached. I'd agree with that.

Personally, with Alli, I think Levy will be reluctant to sell. Not because of sentiment but because his value will be lower than Levy thinks we should be getting based on his potential/past achievements. Young, English, talented but in awful form for three years now. If we could rectify the last part, with a loan maybe, then the first three traits will generate a fee Levy will accept.

Eriksen should have been sold at the height of his reputation and that money reinvested. We might not have had our seasons struggle if we had done that ahead of the game instead of after the hor

Eriksen being sold at the height of his reputation would have weakened us as he was crucial to the way we played. In any case there may have been other reasons such as we were not offered the amount he was valued at or because money was tight we couldn't afford a suitable replacement, not that our scouting system was that good anyway.

So on the long list of reasons he was not sold when fans think he should have been, I suspect sentimentality was probably at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Eriksen being sold at the height of his reputation would have weakened us as he was crucial to the way we played. In any case there may have been other reasons such as we were not offered the amount he was valued at or because money was tight we couldn't afford a suitable replacement, not that our scouting system was that good anyway.

So on the long list of reasons he was not sold when fans think he should have been, I suspect sentimentality was probably at the bottom of the list.

Not selling him at his height also weakened us. Not receiving a fee we thought was acceptable meant we received a fee even far below that. Once we knew he wasn't going to stay he should have been sold immediately and the money reinvested. That is the way you come out of a situation not weaker but maybe even stronger. We may not have had 3 years of stodgy laborious football out of the CL. You have to strike while the iron is hot, I'm very hopeful the new DoF will work this way.

Not selling him at his height also weakened us. Not receiving a fee we thought was acceptable meant we received a fee even far below that. Once we knew he wasn't going to stay he should have been sold immediately and the money reinvested. That is the way you come out of a situation not weaker but maybe even stronger. We may not have had 3 years of stodgy laborious football out of the CL. You have to strike while the iron is hot, I'm very hopeful the new DoF will work this way.

Like harry though nobody bid for Eriksen.
At least nobody that he wanted to go to.
When you are as good as Eriksen you can afford to be picky, but it backfired on him and us.

Back