• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Can’t believe people are still defending Alli. Been nearly 4 years since he was consistently any good. Even if you highlight the fact that he has been moved around and played in different positions, as others have said he hasn’t made any of them his own. He’s essentially James Milner but slower and takes fewer penalties. Top players don’t need other players around them just to look good. Don’t get me wrong it will enhance them and bring out their strengths but Son has only got better each season since the likes of Dembele and Eriksen have moved on so what’s Alli’s excuse?

He’s a very niche footballer. I’m not having it that he is a terrible player all of a sudden. At a club willing to play to his strengths he could still flourish. But it’s not going to happen here, we’ve moved on and it’s best for him he does too. He’s beginning to look like he has stayed here too long, I’ll be sad when he goes as he has given us some great memories but it’s best for the club and importantly for him that he has a change of scenery…..

He’s a very niche footballer. I’m not having it that he is a terrible player all of a sudden. At a club willing to play to his strengths he could still flourish. But it’s not going to happen here, we’ve moved on and it’s best for him he does too. He’s beginning to look like he has stayed here too long, I’ll be sad when he goes as he has given us some great memories but it’s best for the club and importantly for him that he has a change of scenery…..

It’s hard to identify what that niche was. I think it probably requires a lot of time and space that was provided by a dominant team. I’ve no idea where he would go- Besiktas, somewhere like that.

My thoughts. He needs to reinvent himself as a forward. A hard working forward. He has no pace but he has movement off the ball. Upper strength and heading will need work. There are perhaps other things to work on but that is the only route I see for him. He can't do a midfield role again.

My thoughts. He needs to reinvent himself as a forward. A hard working forward. He has no pace but he has movement off the ball. Upper strength and heading will need work. There are perhaps other things to work on but that is the only route I see for him. He can't do a midfield role again.
Agree, could maybe do a Firmino role? Think I’d be playing him as a CF in these Europa games.

don’t want him anywhere near midfield though, he’s too slow in terms of running and with using the ball. Up front he could be more instinctive and have runners off him.

It’s hard to identify what that niche was. I think it probably requires a lot of time and space that was provided by a dominant team. I’ve no idea where he would go- Besiktas, somewhere like that.

Same colours as Besiktas, but sell him to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in January. They'll want a big name, can pay him big wages and not that many people will want to take the chance on Saudi Sportswashing Machine this Jan (TBC whether Dele would)

I actually think it’s the opposite, he does his best work off the cuff with his flicks and through balls to Kane in particular. When he receives the ball with lots of time and space he doesn’t have the same effect, he’s not quick enough and doesn’t have the passing range. But he’s good at making runs into the box, he’s got good technical ability and control. Who knows, maybe the suggestion of remodelling himself into a forward isn’t an outrageous idea.

I just wonder about his hunger now. He used to have that bite when he was younger, I don’t really see that much anymore. His decline has coincided with the launch of his clothing range etc so maybe his other interests mean he’s just not as focused and driven on the pitch as he once was…..

I actually think it’s the opposite, he does his best work off the cuff with his flicks and through balls to Kane in particular. When he receives the ball with lots of time and space he doesn’t have the same effect, he’s not quick enough and doesn’t have the passing range. But he’s good at making runs into the box, he’s got good technical ability and control. Who knows, maybe the suggestion of remodelling himself into a forward isn’t an outrageous idea.

I just wonder about his hunger now. He used to have that bite when he was younger, I don’t really see that much anymore. His decline has coincided with the launch of his clothing range etc so maybe his other interests mean he’s just not as focused and driven on the pitch as he once was…..

Problem is he could try those flicks and tricks with Dembele/Wanyama behind him as if it went wrong they were there to sweep it up.

Now when it goes wrong it starts a counter half the time - which isn’t all on him - but he doesn’t seem to adjust.

This is a good point actually. One thing Dele never lost is his first touch which is still excellent - if he's further up the pitch then his flicks are more likely to lead to goals.

I also can't see doing well in midfield. He can longer beat players easily (doesn't even try now) and imo that used to be by far his main strength.

For his own sake ( and ours) he needs to move elsewhere. He has not performed for a long time now and i see no sign of him even trying to do that. I understand he was a very important player for us a few seasons back but that time has gone and its best for all concened to get a freash start elsewhere.

He was at his best in the three behind Kane.

Son - Dele - Eriksen

Those three would constantly rotate their positions which allowed him to ghost in and play off Kane. When he was pushed further back his natural game was completely snuffed out.

No his peak was in the 343. Son on the bench, Alli and Eriksen right behind Kane.

I would love to but the lad needs a change of scenery
Very sad to see

Such a pity he didn’t get loaned to PSG to see if it helped Dele get his mojo back (I gather that a deal might’ve been done if Lo Celso hadn’t been injured for the whole winter) and hopefully his career doesn’t peter out, like so many other prodigious talents have done over the decades.

Speaking of prodigious talents, I see it was 19 years ago this week that Rooney scored the goal which ended the Goons unbeaten run… feels almost that long ago since I last held out hope of Dele’s career reaching such glorious heights as Rooney achieved when he was in his mid 20s...

Last edited:
Back