• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He's playing like he knows he has no future with us. I mentioned in the Vitesse thread that maybe play him up top as last chance saloon. He's good in the air, makes good runs and can finish. Other than that he's become a waste of space unfortunately.

If he's playing like he knows he has no future with us, then who does he think he has a future with??

I do like him. Personally I would play him in Bergwins position.

I am wondering what has happened to Jack Clarke.
I keep forgetting he’s on our books!

Was a real prospect when we sign him from Leeds under Poch but it hasn’t worked out. Bizarrely it didn’t work out at Leeds when we loaned him back to them where he had been successful.

I thought there were a few promising signs in the odd appearances he made for us. But clearly something’s not quite right there. Shame really.

Dele's season. See if you notice anything

All preseason. Left of the midfield 3 in a 433

City (H) - Left of a midfield 3 in a 433
Pacos (A) - rested
Wolves (A) - Left of a midfield 3 in a 433
Pacos (H) - 6 minutes at the end on the left of a midfield 3 in a 433
Watford (H) - Left of a midfield 3 in a 433
Palace (A) - Son & Berwijn injured. Dele is shunted into the front 3 on the left of the 433. We lose 3-0
Rennes (A) - 12 minutes at then on the left of a midfield 3 in a 433
Chelsea (H) - Pretty much on the right of the front 3 in a 433. Some people argued it was a diamond
Wolves (A) - Right of the midfield 3 in a 433
Arsenal (A) - Pushed right up the pitch in a front 5 for the first half in some weird Nuno tactic he has used occasionally at all his clubs . Bizarre. Subbed at HT along with Ndombele.
Mura (H) - The right of the a midfield 3 in a 433
Villa (H) - No minutes as we go to a 4231
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A) -No minutes in a 4231
Vitesse (A) - Playing at 10 for the first time this season in a 4231. His first game in 21 days.

He get 3 full games in one position.
People wonder can he make this his new position.
Then the manager moves him to a new position every other game to fill in for injuries and balance in the team.
Then he is just exilled.

This is the exact same thing that happened with Mourinho.

If he goes somewhere and gets a run of games in a single position then he will at least have a chance.

Pacos (A) - rested
Palace (A) - Son & Berwijn injured. Dele is shunted into the front 3 on the left of the 433. We lose 3-0
Chelsea (H) - Pretty much on the right of the front 3 in a 433. Some people argued it was a diamond
Arsenal (A) - Pushed right up the pitch in a front 5 for the first half in some weird Nuno tactic he has used occasionally at all his clubs . Bizarre. Subbed at HT along with Ndombele.
Vitesse (A) - Playing at 10 for the first time this season in a 4231. His first game in 21 days.

Then the manager moves him to a new position every other game to fill in for injuries and balance in the team.
Then he is just exilled.

If he goes somewhere and gets a run of games in a single position then he will at least have a chance.

I agree with this and I'm a huge Alli fan and he is still a young man but I'm now of the conclusion that he needs to leave to get that run in his best role and spark his career.

He was at his best in the three behind Kane.

Son - Dele - Eriksen

Those three would constantly rotate their positions which allowed him to ghost in and play off Kane. When he was pushed further back his natural game was completely snuffed out.

Poch got that combination by luck. What Dele has demonstrated is that he can't play any other role and you have a build a team around him.

Look at Son as a positive example. I see that Sons rise to prominence since Eriksen left is opposite to Dele's situation. For whatever reason it worked for one not the other.

I think the only way for Dele is to find a team that has an eriksen type player on their books.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

Poch got that combination by luck. What Dele has demonstrated is that he can't play any other role and you have a build a team around him

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

Isn't that's the same as anyone? His role was pretty specific as were the benefits of him in that role aka goals and assists, it's easy to say "ahh he is a footballer just move him" but what players actually do and make it a success? It's like saying Bale could become Modric and vice versa, it's not really that easy. It takes players all their careers to become an Eriksen but people think you can just change roles and step up to it easy, never really go that theory.

But k do think as he isn't going to get his role he needs to move, just not unrealistic expectation about him becoming the next Nedved

Isn't that's the same as anyone? His role was pretty specific as were the benefits of him in that role aka goals and assists, it's easy to say "ahh he is a footballer just move him" but what players actually do and make it a success? It's like saying Bale could become Modric and vice versa, it's not really that easy. It takes players all their careers to become an Eriksen but people think you can just change roles and step up to it easy, never really go that theory.

But k do think as he isn't going to get his role he needs to move, just not unrealistic expectation about him becoming the next Nedved
No take Son as an example - opposite trajectory same time as Dele. Son defintely takes more attempts at goal than in his early days where he was more provider. And he stepped up when Kane failed to perform.

Pacos (A) - rested

Then he is just exilled.

Pochettino didn't play him in the same position every game. Against Vitesse, he was put in a similar position to the one he played for Pochettino i.e. behind the striker. For England he played various positions.

Dele looks like a player who knows his time is up, i would expect him to move on in the summer.
But he hasn't become a bad player, just one we don't seem to know what to do with.
That team last night did not look in the least prepared, tactically, physically or mentally.
If this rotation has been the plan then surely we can do better than this?
We must have known this was a big game for them, they would play a full strength team and run themselves into the ground.
A midfield three of winks, glc and dele, whats that supposed to achieve?
Two fowards with little to no experience and one just returned from injury, thats going to work.
Dele isn't the problem, he's not part of the solution, but he's not the problem.

Pacos (A) - rested

Then he is just exilled.

This is true, but it's also true that you have to prove yourself to get a consistent run in your favoured position.

Vitesse game was a chance to do that, one he didn't take. Wasn't easy, but it's games like this where you expect more experienced players to step up and he didn't.

Been positive about him earlier this season. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to build on that. Again, hasn't been easy, but it won't be.

Dele isn't the problem, he's not part of the solution, but he's not the problem.

Not sure about that. He's very limited in terms of his flexibility i.e. he needs to play in a specific role, in a specific formation with specific types of players around him.

Even if you played him as a no 10 in a 4-2-3-1, you still need creativity in the other front players given that, unusually for a no 10, Dele isn't that creative and not a playmaker

Therefore to have him in the team, you kind of need to build the team around him but I dont think he's anywhere near good enough for that

The solution is selling him to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in January

Not sure about that. He's very limited in terms of his flexibility i.e. he needs to play in a specific role, in a specific formation with specific types of players around him.

Even if you played him as a no 10 in a 4-2-3-1, you still need creativity in the other front players given that, unusually for a no 10, Dele isn't that creative and not a playmaker

Therefore to have him in the team, you kind of need to build the team around him but I dont think he's anywhere near good enough for that

The solution is selling him to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in January

Mostly agree. And there isn't that much creative to be found in those other attacking positions either. One of Bergwijn, Gil or GLC helps, but none of them are at the level where they make a huge difference so far at least.

Would need one of Ndombele and GLC in one of the deeper roles I think. That may or may not be a good idea at some point regardless of Alli playing. Either way for him to succeed we'd have to restructure the team around him to give him the right conditions. Difficult to see that happening right now. Will have to fight his way back if he's to succeed, and that will be difficult.

Back