• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Yeah but by that point we'll know which way the chips are likely to fall.

Mourinho looking like a success at that point, back him over Dele, otherwise keep the player around

I can't see that happening. Mourinho will be given another season regardless what happens this. If we loan him out in January, it's because we can't find a buyer.

Like most of the comments here i think Jose is digging out Alli unnecessarily. Dier, Doherty and Lloris were arguably as culpable for the goal as Alli.
Looking back, I wish Poch had given Alli a kick up the arse much sooner than Jose has. He definitely needed it but Jose has gone too far this time. It just looks like Jose is picking on him now which is never nice to see. Would Poch dropping Alli had made a difference? Hard to say.

Like most of the comments here i think Jose is digging out Alli unnecessarily. Dier, Doherty and Lloris were arguably as culpable for the goal as Alli.
Looking back, I wish Poch had given Alli a kick up the arse much sooner than Jose has. He definitely needed it but Jose has gone too far this time. It just looks like Jose is picking on him now which is never nice to see. Would Poch dropping Alli had made a difference? Hard to say.
You have to be careful with thinking Poch should have dropped him as for a lot of games we needed Alli as so many players were out and he was by and large helping us out (especially in CM). Plus he himself had some injuries in those latter Poch years.

“For me a player that plays in that position has to link and create and not to create problems for his own team,” he said. “In that situation, a counterattack would probably end with a goal or an action and it ended with a counterattack behind our defenders [and a goal] and they transformed a game that was totally in our hands. So yes I was upset.” Jose Mourinho

My take on that response from Jose is he was honest but not unreasonably critical. Dele hasn't got 90 mins in his legs at the moment and if starts, isn't going to finish. He's looking sharper to me. Jose is giving him the tough love he gave Tanguy last season. I don't think is as big a deal as some sections of the media would like it to be.

During the game when he did that flick and lost the ball, I immediately thought of Joe Cole. Remember that game in his first season under Mourinho where he had a great game going forward, but Mourinho went for him in the post match interview for losing the ball and trying little flicks. Then Mourinho dropped him.
This is Mourinho 101. You cut all the risky flair elements out of your game or get dropped. This would have happened last season to Dele. But Mourinho had barely 3 fit attacking players.

You have to be careful with thinking Poch should have dropped him as for a lot of games we needed Alli as so many players were out and he was by and large helping us out (especially in CM). Plus he himself had some injuries in those latter Poch years.

I’ve never discounted the injuries and being played out of position as factors. That said I still think he was below par for too long and Poch was too loyal to him and certain other players during his tenure.

During the game when he did that flick and lost the ball, I immediately thought of Joe Cole. Remember that game in his first season under Mourinho where he had a great game going forward, but Mourinho went for him in the post match interview for losing the ball and trying little flicks. Then Mourinho dropped him.
This is Mourinho 101. You cut all the risky flair elements out of your game or get dropped. This would have happened last season to Dele. But Mourinho had barely 3 fit attacking players.

Then you run a risk of taking out the natural parts of a game that started the upward trajectory. No Flicks no Ajax goals or Palace away...its his natural game and he is very good at it.

Attacking players have that low percentage of success level, they try and they try and then it does, Like I said Moura tries and more often or not fails, Bales goal covered a multitude of things that didnt come off, Son often takes the wrong option but he is phenomenal but he makes up for it, but it is an example of they try things others cant because they can pul it off, Alli is a support striker who played 3 seasons off Kane and did that and did it well.

I get Jose might want to change him BUT I think this whole public flogging (which is more than Ndombele who cried off sick before two games) is not working

Hmmm, bit harsh on Dele from the gaffer but tabloid headlines making it sound worse than the actual video.

Does anyone have the minute long video where Jose criticizes Aurier for the mindless penalty against Leicester? Asking for a friend. And I know, I know, he is a master man manager who has always known EXACTLY what sort of actions he can inspire an individual player to improve. Clearly dele will get better by being criticized in this way and I'm a sad man at my keyboard.

Y'all are being harsh on Jose. This is the same man who managed Deco, Robben, Hazard, Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria etc. He is not saying he doesn't want flair. He is saying that he doesn't want flair with no end product. Jay Jay Okocha is remembered fondly in his latter years but when he was in his early years and close to Dele's age - he often did skills with no end product. Clemens Westerhof benched Okocha for other players because his skill weren't benefitting the team. Nigeria ended up winning the African Nations Cup in 1994 and rose to 5th in FIFA rankings.

Clemens left and in came Bonfere Jo. Nigeria won Olympics in 1996 with Okocha. Then watch Nigeria vs Denmark from 1998, a very painful match for Nigerians. Okocha played with great skill showing off his flicks BUT with no end product etc. The end result was Denmark 4 Nigeria 1. We often say that Jay Jay Okocha received wisdom finally in his latter years (post 2000) when he started having an end product. Perhaps it was due to the personal home loss to Cameroun in the African Nations Cup final.
I don't think Jose is saying no to dribbles (Ndombele has solid skills) or flair. He is saying no to dribbles and flicks with no end product. Watch the game again objectively. I am with Jose on this.

Part of what I find annoying about Jose’s reaction is that they didn’t hit us on the break straight from Dele’s loss of possession - the ball went all the way back to their GK. He’s just totally misconstruing what happened, and blowing it out of proportion. At the same time as he’s playing down Aurier’s much bigger mistake the other night.

Hope Levy can see that Dele has a longer shelf life than Mourinho. And loan him if possible.
But that is precisely why Mourinho has ended up falling out with his previous chairperson/CEOs. If you back the manager you have to back him fully. If he decides he doesn't rate a particular player then you have to sell if he doesn't want him anymore otherwise you guarantee that fallout.

Pogba at United is a perfect example of the club backing the player rather than the manager and we all saw how that ended.

Does anyone have the minute long video where Jose criticizes Aurier for the mindless pelanty against Leicester? Asking for a friend. And I know, I know, he is a master man manager who has always known EXACTLY what sort of actions he can inspire an individual player to improve. Clearly dele will get better by being criticized in this way and I'm a sad man at my keyboard.

Or the video where he criticised Hugo at Palace. When asked about Hugo there he responded by saying "he's the best keeper in the world."

This is a double standard - he's kicking a guy when he's down in public having excused Aurier and Hugo recently. Would it be acceptable for Alli to have come out on Sunday and criticised Mourinho'd tactics?

I don't think Dele has a longer shelf life at the highest level. He has been dropped by England way before Jose came. His stock has been dropping

Yes. I’d be interested to see which clubs are interested in Dele if he is made available.

Or the video where he criticised Hugo at Palace. When asked about Hugo there he responded by saying "he's the best keeper in the world."

This is a double standard - he's kicking a guy when he's down in public having excused Aurier and Hugo recently. Would it be acceptable for Alli to have come out on Sunday and criticised Mourinho'd tactics?

I agree - to an extent. There is always the caveat that none of us know what goes on in training, and behind the scenes more generally. What we saw in All or Nothing perhaps makes none of this too surprising.

I can understand this position, even if i don't agree - you're backing Mourinho as you believe in the end he will deliver the goods, and presumably Dele being a casualty is a worthy sacrifice?

What i don't agree with is the idea that it's up to Dele to win his place in the team as clearly now it's there to be seen that he is being held to an unfair standard that others are not? He is being called out for the same problems that others display more regularly and he isn't being given the run of games that others are getting.

Fair enough if your position is Mourinho don't want him so bye bye, but don't pretend like he's being given a chance on an even footing to the rest of the squad.

we don’t know how many times he’s told Dele not to do certain things, ie the flicks. What if he made it crystal clear ahead of the game or at half time, not to do this. It maybe that he hasn’t said that, we simply don’t know, nor do we know about attitudes players may or may not have. Maybe it’s his bum fluff. Who knows, I do see your point too.

Back