• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Vinicius may never replace Kan'es goal output,

Kane's game is lightyears ahead of many many good CF.

Vinícius is a tall lad with a good record in Portugal and he's cheap.

Dele, Bale, Lucas, Erik, Burgyion could all drop into the front roles and IMHO do just an as good or even better job.

Instead of who? (serious question), same to @billyiddo

What does the lineup look like? Kane/Dele up front, where does Son play, are we doing 3 up (if so, you are saying you think Dele is better than Bale)?

Who plays behind them?

I've already answered this, initially he gets his chance as the first deputy to Bale/Son ie the goal scoring role off of Kane - we currently lose a goal threat if either of those are not in the team and the current 3 options have proven themselves to not be good enough with regards to goal scoring. From there it's up to him to push either player for a starting XI position - can he do that? Proof will be in the pudding of course but it seems to me that the game that Alli plays (in those first 3 years) would be suited to that sort of role and if he fulfills that potential then he most certainly could push either player for a starting position.

I see Moura/Lamela/Bergwijn as tactical options for when/if we want a different approach - i see Alli as POTENTIALLY a player who can compete for a starting spot

Right now we are struggling against the bottom teams!
The Spurs team prior to Mourinho 'die verecundiam' (day of shame) against West Ham has evaporated. We now play Stoke 1995 'esk football.
Struggling?
That’s what I don’t get
These games are struggles. Their controlled wins rather than gung ho
These are exactly what people wanted last season when everyone said he needs to fix the defensive side
There is always a balance and I think that will show when we play sides that attack more. All 3 sides we have played lately have sat deep. That’s not easy to play against and we always struggles under a Poch against those teams too. It’s why the early goal helps but if we don’t get it we still stick to the plan

We were turgid Mr for all three.
Yes, we struggled under our old manager in similar situations and that is why he's our 'old' manager.

Look I love the three points and chuffed we are second.

This lad was a little more diplomatic than me maybe but his reference to PPV matches was not far off.(I have not listened to all of it) I'd be asking for a refund if I had paid :sunglasses:

Last edited:
When Kane drops deep the front two play narrower.

And Alli often took up wide positions in the old 4231, was a very fluid front 4
I would say he often drifted wide left, to attack coming inside onto his much stronger right foot.

Do you see a difference between playing on the right vs. the left for him in our current system?

I think it's a fair hypothesis that he could do well in one of those roles, the left one at least. But at this point that remains to be seen. And Son is an automatic starter in that left sided position.

If he gets a chance there that would be fair. If he has to wait I think that's also fair, we have a lot of competition for places now.

To be honest i have not met any Spurs supporter who does not rate the ability that Dele has, he is a top player but his way of playing does not suit the way we are playing now and i do not see any reason for Jose to change that system.

The only way i can see Dele getting back into the side as a regular would be for him to adjust the way he plays, or for Jose to change the way we are playing, to be honest i do not think either of those choices are going to happen. Jose may change for some games and Dele may help him do that but it will not go back to the system we played under Poch which allowed Dele to show the undoubted ability he has.

If i am right ( and i may not be) that would mean Dele would be in a situation that means he will not be a regular again and to be honest i can not blame him if he decides he would rather move on. Assuming that situation happens then so be it.

I would say he often drifted wide left, to attack coming inside onto his much stronger right foot.

Do you see a difference between playing on the right vs. the left for him in our current system?

I think it's a fair hypothesis that he could do well in one of those roles, the left one at least. But at this point that remains to be seen. And Son is an automatic starter in that left sided position.

If he gets a chance there that would be fair. If he has to wait I think that's also fair, we have a lot of competition for places now.

That isn't far away from the positions that you'd expect a forward player playing alongside/off of Kane to operate in.

Not a massive difference, the real difference is the players themselves - do we give Son a hard and fast game plan to stick to as he's on the left or do we give loose instruction and let the players on the pitch develop a connection and the rest falls in to place? When we stick Moura/Bergwijn/Lamela on in his place are we asking them to play the same way Son does or do we allow them to play their game in that area of the pitch with the attacking unit having to adapt to the change in player? Clearly the latter imo and If Alli were to get his chance in the advanced positions then I'd expect him to play his game, not any other players'. Considering he already has an existing understanding with both Kane and Son in that area of the pitch then i see no reason to think that couldn't be reignited.

*agree on the last couple of points - he totally has to wait for his chance and prove himself once he gets it. I just want to see him given those chances in the area of the pitch i see him being most successful/effective

Last edited:
That isn't far away from the positions that you'd expect a forward player playing alongside/off of Kane to operate in.

Not a massive difference, the real difference is the players themselves - do we give Son a hard and fast game plan to stick to as he's on the left or do we give loose instruction and let the players on the pitch develop a connection and the rest falls in to place? When we stick Moura/Bergwijn/Lamela on in his place are we asking them to play the same way Son does or do we allow them to play their game in that area of the pitch with the attacking unit having to adapt to the change in player? Clearly the latter imo and If Alli were to get his chance in the advanced positions then I'd expect him to play his game, not any other players'. Considering he already has an existing understanding with both Kane and Son in that area of the pitch then i see no reason to think that couldn't be reignited.

*agree on the ast couple of points - he totally has to wait for his chance and prove himself once he gets it. I just want to see him given chances in the area of the pitch i see him being most successful
I’d like him to get a few 90 mins in europa and not see him pulled so quickly.

*agree on the last couple of points - he totally has to wait for his chance and prove himself once he gets it. I just want to see him given those chances in the area of the pitch i see him being most successful/effective
I agree it would be worth a try. At the right time. But at the moment Son is playing very well. Bale is just starting to get into his stride. Ndombele is (imo) starting to really shine. Lo Celso is getting back to fitness. Lamela is being his bastardly impactful self. Moura is a bit hot and cold, but brings blistering pace and hard work. Bergwijn looks off form, but surely deserves more chances.

Alli has to deal with the competition, as many others have before.

Pointless as he has had zero playing time and is not in Mourinho’s plans as he has blatantly made plain.
Lo Celso didn't look to be in Mourinho's plans, then was one of our best players. Ndombele looked on his way out of the club going by some on here at least, now he's an automatic starter despite rarely lasting more than 65 minutes yet. Alderweireld was past it going by some on here, now a regular.

Up to Alli, the way it should be. Respond or be gone. I think he's good enough to respond.

Lo Celso didn't look to be in Mourinho's plans, then was one of our best players. Ndombele looked on his way out of the club going by some on here at least, now he's an automatic starter despite rarely lasting more than 65 minutes yet. Alderweireld was past it going by some on here, now a regular.

Up to Alli, the way it should be. Respond or be gone. I think he's good enough to respond.

we are talking Mourinho here, he does what he does!

we are talking Mourinho here, he does what he does!

Meaning?

He has successfully rehabilitated Lloris, LoCelso, NDombele, Toby and Dier to name a few.

No reason Dele can't also come back into contention. It really is up to him to prove himself when given the chance.

He actually looked completely re-invigorated when José first arrived. Then Kane and Son got injured and he rather lost his way when we didn't have a main striker for him to play with.

To me there's a very clear correlation between Alli playing in advanced positions earlier in his career and doing well and Alli playing deeper later on and not playing well , (although I'd argue Alli done a reasonable job for 1-2 seasons filling in playing deeper whilst adapting to a new role) and i don't think you can really hold it against a player for not mastering a secondary position - only being great as a second striker isn't the worst place to be in as a player (and when he was last consistently played as an AM/SS he was great) The point is i think we should be using him in the position/role that he was clearly performing well in and that i think there is space for that type of player in this squad, playing off of a player like Kane.

Alli as a CM still has a lot of work to do to become an option there, no question.
He was turned from a possession monster into a pressing monster.

Did pretty well at both but suffered from expectations from his previous role as the latter.

upload_2020-11-10_20-45-35.png

He hasn’t complained once that I’ve see
It’s nice and rate to see
And I agree about the yoga thing

It's just his body language on occasion (Europa games I guess). There's no doubt there's a good player in there but it's not been a good year or so for him and competition for places has increased dramatically.

Back