• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Now i know we both ( at our age) have seen a lot worse then now. I will admit its can be better but personally i am enjoying seeing how Jose is working with and improving some of our players men tality, effort and team shapes.

We defend in greater numbers and go forward less! Deep joy!

Where would the attacking pace to break or get behind defensive lines come from though?

When you are good at timing your runs you don't need exceptional pace - if you're talking about the attacking unit in general then I'm not sure where the pace is lacking in comparison to the DESK attack

Suggests that him not playing atm might not be the oddest footballing decision Jose has made...

Is anyone saying it is odd?

What i find odd is that despite his skills being so obviously linked to an attacking position he doesn't seem to get any minutes there.

(That goes for the back end of the Poch reign too)

Last edited:
I think dele struggles to get in because he can’t pass very well. It’s hindered his game in the last and it hasn’t changed this season. He is the reverse Lamela ... all right foot and no range
But the games he has played in he has been far from the worse player on the pitch

Ah injuries and caveats i remember those [emoji14]

Regarding Alli I'm still not sure why he isn't seen as an option for either of the non-Kane front 3 positions - not many better than him at making smart runs in behind the opponents defence, seems suited to the attack now that Kane has started pulling the strings more and we look to play on the counter. I'd disagree entirely that he'd be worse than Moura Bergwijn or Lamela and would happily wager he'd post better numbers than the 3 of them, comfortably

Because the non Kane roles require a different skillset to making smart late runs into the box. Ideally you want pacy ahead of the play players capable of beating a couple of players and either shooting from distance or playing the killer ball. That isn't really what Dele does best at.

He's best suited to drifting in behind the play, taking up smart positions and putting the final touches to an attack or scoring himself.

Because the non Kane roles require a different skillset to making smart late runs into the box. Ideally you want pacy ahead of the play players capable of beating a couple of players and either shooting from distance or playing the killer ball. That isn't really what Dele does best at.

He's best suited to drifting in behind the play, taking up smart positions and putting the final touches to an attack or scoring himself.

The Kane/Son dynamic this season has largely been centered on runs in behind?

Listen if you're playing your back up options, which is what I'm suggesting for Alli at this moment then it means compromise in game plan - Moura/Bergwijn are fast dribbly players but neither really work - Alli as an option, who we know can get goals when played in advanced positions is going to be at least as much a goal threat as any other back up (imo much more but proof will be in the pudding)

Personally, as an example, i think if we were going to be without Son for a long run a games then I'd be worried about where his goals are going to be covered, Moura Bergwijn Lamela proven non-goalscorers afaic - whereas Alli, playing in an advanced position, is a proven goal threat... that can't really be disputed and it's only since moving deeper that his form dropped off a cliff.

So if we want an attacking player that actually scores goals then trying Alli there is as good an option as any other

Last edited:
Since the West Ham reversal we look reticent in attack. As I said before ‘we now’ look poorer going forward.
Jose is pleased Harry is playing more defensively, I’m not so sure it best or him or the team.
It's been three league games since then. Would be great if improvement was linear, but it rarely is.

I'll take these performances as our poor performances all day every day. If this is what we see for the rest of the season we'll be in trouble. Let's give it some time before we jump to conclusions.

It's been three league games since then. Would be great if improvement was linear, but it rarely is.

I'll take these performances as our poor performances all day every day. If this is what we see for the rest of the season we'll be in trouble. Let's give it some time before we jump to conclusions.

Rightly or wrongly our performances last season will be factored in too - plenty of grinding out results with little attacking endeavour there also.

Rightly or wrongly our performances last season will be factored in too - plenty of grinding out results with little attacking endeavour there also.
I agree that they will, rightly or wrongly. I think that discussion has been had.

Either way it's been slightly less than a year and we're 8 league games into his first full season.

The improvement has been clear for all to see. I think more improvement is coming. I don't think that's unreasonable. And I don't think it's unreasonable to at the very least withhold judgement given what's been going on so far and the starting point.

Back