• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I think you are right. I normally don't like to make a dramatic prediction on a player's career trajectory but for Alli the sky is the limit IMO (and not the Sky4 either). I'm expecting in the next half-dozen matches or so this guy will make himself almost un-droppable.

This crop of young players we have at the club is as good as I can remember. In another age where there were no carbon circle clubs we would be well on the road to developing a title wining side, but with the money that's sloshing around now among the top clubs I'm not sure we can 'grow' our own team. Who knows though?

And therein lies the rub. As soon as any of our talented youngsters really start to develop into a great player, then the pull of CL and big dosh will be overwhelming. I like what I have seen of Alli so far. I hope he goes on to be another Gerrard not another Jenas. But if he does, how long will we realistically be able to keep him. Same goes for Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Eriksen, Son, Nige etc etc. We have a really talented pool of youngsters but unless we make CL this year or next I fear we will lose too many stars to maintain any real impetus.

And therein lies the rub. As soon as any of our talented youngsters really start to develop into a great player, then the pull of CL and big dosh will be overwhelming. I like what I have seen of Alli so far. I hope he goes on to be another Gerrard not another Jenas. But if he does, how long will we realistically be able to keep him. Same goes for Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Eriksen, Son, Nige etc etc. We have a really talented pool of youngsters but unless we make CL this year or next I fear we will lose too many stars to maintain any real impetus.
It certainly is the conundrum we find ourselves in. As we are now we are a feeding ground for the CL vampires to suck on when our players are ripe. The Eriksen and the Lloris calibre of players will be poached, eventually. The younger ones we stand more of a chance in keeping just long enough to make a difference, especially the academy players. We just may be on the cusp of something amazing for the club if we keep the core of these players together, but where is the ceiling? Unless all the planets align I fear the best we can do is a shot at 3rd. Mind you I'd live with that now.

Just on Jenas, I loved it when we signed him. I was convinced that he was going to kick on and be knocking on the world class door. Massive potential but ultimately unfilled. I think Alli is a different cat. He has a drive in him Jenas was missing. He reminds me of someone great. I'm thinking Muller light.....(no, not the fudging yogurt ;))

Why is 3rd the ceiling? When we had Harry Redknapp & all was rosy, for a brief while, we were up there challenging for the title..until Redknapp took his eyes off the ball, the referee took his eyes off of Balotelli and Levy was too busy searching the Pound savers menu.

Agreed, odds are obviously stacked against us but IMV we've shown before that we can put together a squad capable of challenging, no reason why we can't do so again - just hope next time the manager isn't easily distracted (and to add some balance, Levy backs the manager a little better ;) )

I can see him being in the full England squad within the next eighteen months, can also see Emirates Marketing Project offering us £50m for him soon as well

This is the situation all clubs find themselves in. Even English Champions League clubs struggle to hold onto their players when Real Madrid or Barcelona come knocking.

I think that long term the new stadium will help because we will be able to match Champions League salaries and should be more competitive in the league.

Short term, we can hope that having a young squad with a high number of home grown players means that they feel an affinity with the club and are more inclined to stay.

This is the situation all clubs find themselves in. Even English Champions League clubs struggle to hold onto their players when Real Madrid or Barcelona come knocking.

I think that long term the new stadium will help because we will be able to match Champions League salaries and should be more competitive in the league.

Short term, we can hope that having a young squad with a high number of home grown players means that they feel an affinity with the club and are more inclined to stay.

This is and always has been the way into the future for us, once we get the new stadium ( with all the commercial income) we will be on a more level playing field.

new stadium, more non football revenue streams, better brand visibility etc. we will be on another level.

i believe that levy's plan is to time the maturity of the team in time for the new stadium.

keep the faith.

I don't buy all this once we have the new stadium we will be much closer. We will have more £,but I doubt Levy is going to radically change his transfer policy because of this. Also we will still be a side likely to be out of the Cl places which means we will not really be anymore of an attractive option than we already are compared to the top 4 and therefore just as difficult to keep those players we have who are potentially top class. All we can offer is a prettier stadium to play at...

I'm looking forward to the day he sits Jack Wheelchair on his ar5e in a North London derby (ala VdV) then picks him up and kicks him out of the stadium...

Alli has done well for us so far. But he should make sure it doesn't makes him big-headed. Most English players around his age of 19, normally allows the fame gets to their head. Remember Bentley ? There was an incident against Qarabag where Alli needlessly got into a fight with a Qarabag player after Lamela's goal. Incidents like that will do more harm than good for a young player like Alli.

Alli has done well for us so far. But he should make sure it doesn't makes him big-headed. Most English players around his age of 19, normally allows the fame gets to their head. Remember Bentley ? There was an incident against Qarabag where Alli needlessly got into a fight with a Qarabag player after Lamela's goal. Incidents like that will do more harm than good for a young player like Alli.

Bizarre

I know what he means, but I actually think its more a case of being over hyped rather than letting them naturally develop - so the expectation level set is never achievable.

Bentley was different IMHO - he just wanted to play football rather than being coached football.

I know what he means, but I actually think its more a case of being over hyped rather than letting them naturally develop - so the expectation level set is never achievable.

Bentley was different IMHO - he just wanted to play football rather than being coached football.

I think that it is ridiculous to make generalisations based on nationality.

'No player on Sunday had more touches than former MK Dons youngster Alli, who also made more passes in the Palace half than any Spurs player'

So now what...where does this leave Mason?! I know everyone will say this is all good competition for places and it is,just have no idea what our best eleven actually is...

Back