• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I have just listen to an interview by Carl Robinson the current manager of MK Dons on Five Live. Interestingly he got into the Dons team initially on the left wing, them moved to the number 10 position before moving back to the midfield. Also a lot has been made about his fitness and Robinson said that he holds one of the long distance records at the club. He really thinks Alli can go the whole distance.

I really think he is made for the box-to-box role. He's got good technique, is comfortable on the ball, seems to have a great engine, can pass, can get his foot in and challenge, gets up and down, gives and goes, looks intelligent, keeps his head up, gets into good forward positions and has a good shot on him. For me, as I said, like JJ when he could actually be bothered to turn up in an NLD or something, but Alli can do it every game.

Last edited:
He was pretty much playing that position yesterday. It was more like a 4-1-4-1 formation.

Exactly. See what ditching the turgid 4231 straight jacket does. Immediately we are more fluid. More of the same please Poch. At last someone is seeing the light and playing just one DM against lesser sides at home that sit back. Well done Mr P.

It's a sign of what we've got ourselves with this kid, that he's already made himself one of the starting eleven. After just a handful of games. I'm not even sure he's finished growing, his build although impressive still has a bit of room to bulk up. Not to Yaya proportions but maybe more Pogba like.

Hodgson hasn't got great central midfield box to box options so I could imagine him getting a run out in the November friendly matches with Spain and France. Same potentially with Dier, who I'm not sure has any competition for a holding midfielder role. Delphs out, who else is there? Don't say Wilksh!t.

It's a sign of what we've got ourselves with this kid, that he's already made himself one of the starting eleven. After just a handful of games. I'm not even sure he's finished growing, his build although impressive still has a bit of room to bulk up. Not to Yaya proportions but maybe more Pogba like.

Hodgson hasn't got great central midfield box to box options so I could imagine him getting a run out in the November friendly matches with Spain and France. Same potentially with Dier, who I'm not sure has any competition for a holding midfielder role. Delphs out, who else is there? Don't say Wilksh!t.

Calling him up already would be premature and I thinkncould even be detrimental. He has done well and is holding his own but I do think that Mason and bentelab will come in and offer more next to Dier. This obv is dependant on them being in form and playing well but both can add more with a bit more deftness and passing.

For me Alli this year should be starting all cup games and rotated at cm in the league when required. I would also start him off the left when needed and he would be a perfect impact sub when we are chasing or looking to see out the game. He will get loads of starts and right now he deserves to keep his place, but I thinknwe will see his over the course of the season

Calling him up already would be premature and I thinkncould even be detrimental. He has done well and is holding his own but I do think that Mason and bentelab will come in and offer more next to Dier. This obv is dependant on them being in form and playing well but both can add more with a bit more deftness and passing.

For me Alli this year should be starting all cup games and rotated at cm in the league when required. I would also start him off the left when needed and he would be a perfect impact sub when we are chasing or looking to see out the game. He will get loads of starts and right now he deserves to keep his place, but I thinknwe will see his over the course of the season
I'm a big fan of Mason and Bentaleb but whilst I agree about Alli being rotated once they're back from injury, his talent and intelligence is such that I can see him establishing himself ahead of both before the end of the season.

We have a backup midfield of Mason, Bentaleb, Dembele, N'Jie & Chadli (based around starting 11 v Emirates Marketing Project). I think the squad depth is improving.

As for whether Alli starts ahead of Mason, that's a tough one as both have been impressive this season, but I know that realistically, unless we move Alli forward..in which case who misses out..then only Mason or Alli can be selected.

It's all nice problems to have
There young, hungry and ambitious
That's a great mix and they need the experience too which they will get here with us

Reminds me of the "Dier is not a DM" argument. How about we let Poch decide? He hasn't done too shabby with his selections this season. ;)

Reminds me of the "Dier is not a DM" argument. How about we let Poch decide? He hasn't done too shabby with his selections this season. ;)

Well it's not because the argument about Dier is that we were essentially relying on an unproven centre half as our only holding player. It has worked out well. With Alli, my point is that I think Mason was playing very well before injury and I think Bentelab and him on form would bring more to the team as Dier will free them both up. There is competition, which is great, but that is my opinion on what should and will happen. Chill winston

Well it's not because the argument about Dier is that we were essentially relying on an unproven centre half as our only holding player. It has worked out well. With Alli, my point is that I think Mason was playing very well before injury and I think Bentelab and him on form would bring more to the team as Dier will free them both up. There is competition, which is great, but that is my opinion on what should and will happen. Chill winston
I'm chill, buddy. The point I was trying to make is that there has been a lot of second guessing about a bunch of things and the results and team performance have proven most of us wrong. So all I'm saying is, before we go off on "the coach must do this or that", maybe we should stop and think that he probably knows better than us what the right moves are and has much more info than us to make these decisions.

I agree, I think Alli is a great option and prospect but would have Mason ahead of him. He was beginning to dictate and become our playmaker before he got injured, I'm not sure Alli is there yet, or even that type of player....

I agree, I think Alli is a great option and prospect but would have Mason ahead of him. He was beginning to dictate and become our playmaker before he got injured, I'm not sure Alli is there yet, or even that type of player....

I'm a big Mason fan. However, I would say that Alli has also shown a lot of talent, so Mason will have to wait his turn when he recovers from injury. It's nice to have options and there are plenty of games for them all to show their quality.

I prefer alli, but is the hype because he is more an "English" style, all action type player. Whereas mason is more probing and possession European type player?
Alli has a lot of skill but his energy and robust attitude wets the press's knickers.

I'm a big Mason fan. However, I would say that Alli has also shown a lot of talent, so Mason will have to wait his turn when he recovers from injury. It's nice to have options and there are plenty of games for them all to show their quality.
Mason vs Sunderland(granted not the strongest of opposition)showed the sort of CM performance we've missed since Modric, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back in quickly once fit. Alli is very talented but for me Mason is capable of dominating games more and is a favourite of Pochs. As is said a lot lately, grey options to have...

Mason vs Sunderland(granted not the strongest of opposition)showed the sort of CM performance we've missed since Modric, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back in quickly once fit. Alli is very talented but for me Mason is capable of dominating games more and is a favourite of Pochs. As is said a lot lately, grey options to have...

Mason has not dominated matches or dictated play regularly enough to make that comment in my opinion. Sunderland was the only match where i thought he was controlling the play and had impetus.

I really rate Mason too and feel he has been playing superbly and wondering if there is a way to fit both of them in the squad. Mason or Alli as a 10 perhaps, with the other playing from deeper? Of course that would mean dropping one of Eriksen/Lamela. Lamela to me is undroppable at this point, which leaves Eriksen. And going on form alone, dropping Eriksen would be justified, as unpopular as that might sound. There is enough creativity among the likes of Mason, Alli, Lamela, and Kane to compensate and it would improve our pressing, because let's be honest, Eriksen doesn't press as much as the rest of the team.

I really rate Mason too and feel he has been playing superbly and wondering if there is a way to fit both of them in the squad. Mason or Alli as a 10 perhaps, with the other playing from deeper? Of course that would mean dropping one of Eriksen/Lamela. Lamela to me is undroppable at this point, which leaves Eriksen. And going on form alone, dropping Eriksen would be justified, as unpopular as that might sound. There is enough creativity among the likes of Mason, Alli, Lamela, and Kane to compensate and it would improve our pressing, because let's be honest, Eriksen doesn't press as much as the rest of the team.
I know what you're saying as performance wise for 90 minutes Eriksen hasn't really done enough. The problem is he has that X factor, his free kicks are exceptional most of the time and has the ability to just create that bit of magic out of nothing that only the top players can. This is required sometimes when things aren't going our way and why he has to be in the side - he oozes class....

Back