• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

A decent performance from Rose yesterday considering he was up against a dangerous winger (remember when some on this forum were saying that Navas is no better than Lennon :lol:) but it was Danny' misplaced header (when attempting to deal with Kompany' long ball) that lead to our CBs being caught out of position followed by Fazio conceding the penalty which killed off the game.

Last edited:
He might have been in awe of navas.... Poor shot on goal, but he tore our defence a few new ones yesterday. Hopefully rose would have learned more about him for the return fixture. Navas is truly world class, dragged our defence out of shape so many times that even rose seemed to give up.

Soooooo much end product as well right? "Truly world class" after that game....What can you say...

Felt sorry for him Saturday the amount of times he was facing 2 on 1 was ridiculous, where was the cover?

Felt sorry for him Saturday the amount of times he was facing 2 on 1 was ridiculous, where was the cover?

This the problem that I have highlighted a few times when playing Chadli as the left sided attacking midfielder. He doesn't help out defensively and often leaves Rose exposed. There is a big contrast here between him and the help that Lamela gives his right back. I think I heard one of the BT Sport commentators on Saturday saying that Chadli was 'cheating' (I think that was the word used) and then explained that he gets space when attacking as he doesn't do his defensive duty. Perhaps this is a tactic that Poch wants to employ to make us more potent in attack, however if we are to continue with this then we somehow have to get Rose more help - whether this is Capoue, Mason or Ericksen providing this.

This the problem that I have highlighted a few times when playing Chadli as the left sided attacking midfielder. He doesn't help out defensively and often leaves Rose exposed. There is a big contrast here between him and the help that Lamela gives his right back. I think I heard one of the BT Sport commentators on Saturday saying that Chadli was 'cheating' (I think that was the word used) and then explained that he gets space when attacking as he doesn't do his defensive duty. Perhaps this is a tactic that Poch wants to employ to make us more potent in attack, however if we are to continue with this then we somehow have to get Rose more help - whether this is Capoue, Mason or Ericksen providing this.

Absolutley agree. I was calling this in the game thread. A least a dozen times Rose was left two on one and probably did as well as can be expected.

There is certainly a flaw in the tactics here IMO. In the Liverpool game Bentaleb's heatmap showed him predominately on the left leaving Capoue to cover the entire midfield almost single handedly. He was dragged out of position repeeatedly because Chadli is effectively playing as a 2nd striker most of the time and is nowhere near a covering position on the left when the play breaks down. So either a CM moves over to compensate like Bentaleb did or we are exposed. For me we have to swap the starting positions of Chadli and Eriksen if we are going to use Chadli like this. Eriksen is no defensive giant, and actually was very poor against City defensively I thought, but at least he will keep the shape of the team better than Chadli is doing at the moment.

If there is another player in the premier league who spends more time on their backside on the pitch then Danny Rose, I will eat my hat.

This sounds like a wonky to me. Primarily Ade and Chadli rotating in drawing out players and attacking.

This just means that when rose joins in, the two central midfielders shouldn't. And certainly not the the right back.

If a ball gets passed down the wing behind Rosie's back, the cb should be nearest to fend the attacker towards the corner flag, either of both central midfielders covering the space vacated by the cb.

Just saying that instead of putting a man there marking dead space, you could employ a different tactic where the team helps each other out moving out of their regular roles .

I think the Italians called it the chain link effect, in essence one player vacates his space another takes it and repeat, until all the necessary gaps are filled.

Here's something controversial. Seeing as we lack a decent left footed wide player. How about playing Rose in the position he is best suited (imho) to, and sticking Davies or Vertonghen behind him. We might get some width.

Not that Rose isn't doing a good job at left back -he has been in good form this season. But it still seems a waste of player who can cross the ball, has pace, and can get past a player.
I'd rather see him regularly attacking wide, with someone behind him, than have to go on the overlap occasionally and worry about getting caught on the counter.

We used to punish teams with our width and pace - but not any more.

Here's something controversial. Seeing as we lack a decent left footed wide player. How about playing Rose in the position he is best suited (imho) to, and sticking Davies or Vertonghen behind him. We might get some width.

Not that Rose isn't doing a good job at left back -he has been in good form this season. But it still seems a waste of player who can cross the ball, has pace, and can get past a player.
I'd rather see him regularly attacking wide, with someone behind him, than have to go on the overlap occasionally and worry about getting caught on the counter.

We used to punish teams with our width and pace - but not any more.

Said the same thing to my mate... At least he offers width and pace and won't come into the middle

He has been solid and very good at times and that experience of playing at left back could help

My only concern is he has been a shoot on site type... But it can't be any worse

Said the same thing to my mate... At least he offers width and pace and won't come into the middle

He has been solid and very good at times and that experience of playing at left back could help

My only concern is he has been a shoot on site type... But it can't be any worse

I think his performances at LB show that he can learn new stuff, and take training ground instruction onto the pitch. So I think the tendency shoot on sight could be trained out of him (unlike Andros it seems). And I'd rather have an instinctively attacking player with his kind of pace, playing further up the pitch.

It would be worth a try - not that it is likely to happen. I don't think it helps with Davies' development, stuck on the bench with an occasional appearance, either. We pay £10m for Swansea's first choice LB (he would still have been their first choice LB, and they are currently above us in the table) and then play an attacking-LM-converted-into-a-LB in his place.

Rose is playing well in his position

Might be worth it as a late game/sub tactic, bring Davies on and let Rose push up.

No end product rose? We need ade to be at a fixed position so that rose can just focus on getting the ball there instead of making everyone guess.

Great going forward offers decent support in the build up. But he's not a left back. Just because he's a dirty player doesnt make him a defender. He way too short to play in his position in the premier league.

Great going forward offers decent support in the build up. But he's not a left back. Just because he's a dirty player doesnt make him a defender. He way too short to play in his position in the premier league.

Ashley cole, Gary Neville, Denis Irwin, evra, to name just a few who are as small as rose but were excellent full backs.

You're being serious?

All four are an inch or two taller than him.
He's just not a defender, his reading of the game, his anticipation, his positioning.

Seems like it...

According to wiki:

Rose: 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)
Patrice Evra: 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)
Ashley Cole: 1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)

So there is some magical limit at 1.74? Perhaps if he would grow his hair a bit and use extra strength hair gel he would be fine? I'm sorry, but Cole and Evra are two of the better left backs of the PL era and a difference of a centimeter or two is not that important.

He has shown problems in reading the game, anticipation and positioning for sure. Those problems have been a lot less visible this season though and there are clear signs that he's improving. He's been our best defender this season and if he's "just not a defender" and meanwhile our best defender our problems are much bigger than him.

I see that Leighton Baines is only 1.70m (5' 7") tall according to his Everton profile, hopefully Danny' extra inch in height means that he will become a superior left back :-k

Back